E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What does the key/OBC store?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:32 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that the key stores mileage/car info, etc. but was curious if there is any place in the car or computer or key that stores data regarding location/speed etc.?

Basically, when I go in for service, can they see that I was doing 120mph in a school zone? (Not that I have)

Could law enforcement supoena the info from the dealer for a ticket dispute?

Just curious.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ADD
I know that the key stores mileage/car info, etc. but was curious if there is any place in the car or computer or key that stores data regarding location/speed etc.?

Basically, when I go in for service, can they see that I was doing 120mph in a school zone? (Not that I have)

Could law enforcement supoena the info from the dealer for a ticket dispute?

Just curious.
Good question.. I don't think they do. It would be a big privacy concern for BMW - not sure how owners would feel if BMW had that information. As for law enforcement, I doubt that they would go through the hassle of a subpoena for a simple ticket dispute if such information was available. While subpoenas are routine, they still take some time to prepare and serve.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I bet the ACLU would have a field day if that type of data was kept and LE could issue a subpoena to get it.

My wife freaked out awhile back when the speed limit alarm on the iDrive went off while she was driving my car to her work. I set it at 80mph to remind me when I'm driving too fast - she didn't know about it and called me on my cell when it triggered. She thought the car was going to report her to the police!!

What's better was that after I finished laughing I started getting on her for WTF she was driving that fast in the first place
Old 11-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530i 2009 M-Style Black w/ biege interior Fully loaded

Originally Posted by pukka
I bet the ACLU would have a field day if that type of data was kept and LE could issue a subpoena to get it.

My wife freaked out awhile back when the speed limit alarm on the iDrive went off while she was driving my car to her work. I set it at 80mph to remind me when I'm driving too fast - she didn't know about it and called me on my cell when it triggered. She thought the car was going to report her to the police!!

What's better was that after I finished laughing I started getting on her for WTF she was driving that fast in the first place
lool , classic

speaking of speed limit alarm, my came pre set to go off on 120 km/h , its the law here and the dealer cant (wont) turn it off, im talking about the pre-set one not the one u do yourself through i drive. dont ming the ding but the problem is that the from cluster display and the i drive screen all switch to an alarm messege and i cant see or read any info! thats annoying :thumbsdown: can it be turned off
Old 11-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

The OBC is more than capable of storing vehicle speed information and my guess would be that it does. My SA showed me reports that listed detailed information such as number of trips, length of trips, and battery voltage just to give you an idea of what I know it already tracks.