E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What to do if you get a flat tyre

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I thought the cutaway views of the tweel was just for show. Something tells me if they ever actually roll the product out (no pun intended), it will look more like a tire. If they left those fins exposed, wouldn't there be a risk of debris getting caught in between them?
Old 06-11-2005, 02:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read recently that Michelin (and also a rival technology) are having noise problems with 'tweels'. Apparently they are struggling to get them quiet enough. So it looks like we're stuck with the RF technology for a while
Old 06-11-2005, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Rich535d' date='Jun 11 2005, 06:57 AM
I read recently that Michelin (and also a rival technology) are having noise problems with 'tweels'. Apparently they are struggling to get them quiet enough. So it looks like we're stuck with the RF technology for a while
[snapback]138509[/snapback]
The Michelin PAX technology is working fine on our van. They're clearly not as harsh as the low-profile runflats on the E60 since they have a much taller sidewall and they don't rely on the sidewall being extra stiff. The downside is that you have to have special rims and special mounting equipment...
Old 06-23-2005, 07:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi guys,

I guess I have been having the same leaking RFT for quite a while now... when I spoke to the local dealer for a possible replacement, I was told I should be ready to cough out $2k for a pair of them tyres... even then, will have to wait for a month before an order placed today will be gotten. Well, thought it was a rip off if I have to replace an RFT when it has a common puncture... I drove in to a goodyear tyre repaid shop and had them do a fix on it. Initially, like two months ago, I had another shop take a look at it cos I was tired of topping up every two weeks, it was a pretty slow puncture I might say, but this idiot shop, instead of taking out the tyre and fixing it from inside, decided to use a new approach where they use some sort of chemical and material patch, which is forced into the puncture by actually forcing the material through... it ended up with me having to top up the air every three days - my normal tyre gauge was 30psi but on this tyre it will drop to 20 - 22psi after two three days, initially it was droping from 30psi to 25psi over two weeks.

Well, my point is that, i just had a new guy do the pucture today by removing the allow wheel off the tyre and patching from inside the tyre. Will be watching it for three days if it does'nt work, then I will know my lesson... the first shop messed me up... otherwise, if it's all good I will let you guys know. My guess is that any pucture on the radial will be more of a difficult one to fix and you must have someone who understands the make of the tyres to have them fixed.