E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What do I do now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 04:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crypto
no water

Yep. My folks and my wife put it up while I was off doing something else. They said they filled the base with water, so I guess it just didn't hold. Wind blew it over.

Figured I'll just handle it out of pocket (even though I have comprehensive insurance), and find the best body guy I can. There's a highly recommended one somewhat close and there's no replacing this panel.

The body shop is a bit far (1:45 drive) just to swing by and get a quote, just sucking it up for now.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Sorry to chime in late....
You cannot do a paintless dent removal on this. There are deep scratches. In addition there are creases. No going to work either way.
The only way to properly fix this the way you want is to pull it out and use filler and blend the paint. They will have to spray a larger area probably 1/4 to 1/2 of your door plus most of the dented panel and clearcoat the entire thing.

As far as coverage, auto or HOI, you'll have to check that out, nor sure.

you need to fill the base of your post with sand. water will work but it also is a host for movement if not filled all the way. the more air the more room for water to move and the move room for water to move is more weight shifted in the direction of movement.

Should cost about $300 for a great job. Paint, reducer, clearcoat, hardener, primer, filler sand paper. and cost to do all of this. In reality it will cost him about $80 in materials.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

I say make your parents pay for it....... Just sayin

Of course I'm kidding. Good luck with getting it repaired for a decent price. Keep us posted.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Should cost about $300 for a great job. Paint, reducer, clearcoat, hardener, primer, filler sand paper. and cost to do all of this. In reality it will cost him about $80 in materials.
I have a crappy touch up paint job on my rear bumper, driver's side, from what looks like a scrape and a few spider looking cracks on the other side of the bumper. Thinking of having him fix and respray the bumper as well. I'd love to fix the plate holder holes in the front bumper as well...

Overall my paint isn't in great condition for a 3 yr old ride, it lived previously as a company car in New Jersey. Not sure if a clay bar and polish is in the cards right now, but I'd like to do everything that makes sense to do and have as close to a perfect car as I possible. I'm just starting my journey with this car, and although it hasn't started perfectly I'd like to make it right.

Which of these 'wants' do you think I should go to the body shop guy with?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Kaizen
Just sayin
24 posts in and no derogatory comments about my wife...you guys are alright.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 530i

I don't think that's an actual removable panel, I'm pretty sure that's part of the frame itself, right?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 e60 550i motorsport metallic grey, black leather interior, head up display, logis & stereo, sat nav, M sport pakage and full options. 19' twin spoke wheels and LED front and tail lights

Originally Posted by BSLNoel
Sometimes its polite to not say what you're thinking......
Old 03-15-2012, 12:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I spotted her ass first then looked into this thread
Old 03-15-2012, 02:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I have a crappy touch up paint job on my rear bumper, driver's side, from what looks like a scrape and a few spider looking cracks on the other side of the bumper. Thinking of having him fix and respray the bumper as well. I'd love to fix the plate holder holes in the front bumper as well...

Overall my paint isn't in great condition for a 3 yr old ride, it lived previously as a company car in New Jersey. Not sure if a clay bar and polish is in the cards right now, but I'd like to do everything that makes sense to do and have as close to a perfect car as I possible. I'm just starting my journey with this car, and although it hasn't started perfectly I'd like to make it right.

Which of these 'wants' do you think I should go to the body shop guy with?
That's the problem, NJ.... ha! Sorry HONK, I couldn't resist. JK! I would recommend getting a professional buff job first. This should bring your paint back to life. Then it will be your job to keep up with it. The cost to have one do this who already has the professional materials and equipment is much cheaper than going out and buying it all yourself. Do a couple 12oz curls while this is getting done and you will be a lot happier afterwards. During the this process the person doing this should be able to advise you of which areas need a little touch up paint like your bumper and so on. You will be surprised as to what all will disappear when they are finished.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:14 AM
Members

I'd look into your comprehensive coverage deductible. I know in TN and NC, a comprehensive (not your fault)claim will not affect your rate. Collision (your fault) certainly will.