E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What do I do now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents bought my 5 year old a basketball goal a couple of weeks ago, and it fell yesterday onto my new to me E60. I'm sick. Please take a look at the photos and see what you think.

What needs to happen? I want this thing fixed perfectly, I have 66 payments to make on this car and I want it be immaculate. Is this a homeowner's insurance issue, or auto?

My local BMW dealership doesn't show up in the Collision repair search. I want the texture of the paint to match the rest of the car, is this possible.

I didn't even want the basketball goal, AND it hit the vehicle I already had a buyer for right next to it. Unreal.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Members

That is a bummer. I think you could go with the comprehensive coverage on your auto policy, or your homeowners insurance would cover it also. Both, at least in my case, would require paying a large deductible. I would take it to a trusted body shop or two and get an estimate. My guess would be in the $800 range to repair. Might be best to just pay it yourself.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:50 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Since you weren't driving the car my guess is it will be covered by your auto policy under comprehensive and you will have to pay the deductible if you have one.

Blending shouldn't be a problem for a good shop with experience.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Members

Yea, that sucks. I would definitely go to body shop and see whether its just better to forgo the insurance route and just eat this one
Old 03-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by iamsoopaman
Yea, that sucks. I would definitely go to body shop and see whether its just better to forgo the insurance route and just eat this one
Does that part need to be replaced? It's the pillar for the windshield, would that have to be removed?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Members

if this was the $--- happens to me, i would "bite the bullet" and not go the insurance route in this instance...
Old 03-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

I'd get a quote from a good painless dent guy with experience.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Paintless repair might be able to help if the paint itself is not damaged. Those guys can do some pretty impressive stuff. The repair as is through a body shop I think would be under 1000.00 so maybe check with your comprehensive side of the insurance. Paint matching and the repair is not bad at all and should look just like it never happened when you get it back.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Members

I've had PDR done on several door dings on my '06 525xi. I had a small dent over my right rear fender in the vertical flattened part and the PDR guy said that it's difficult or impossible to PDR dents in this area because of the way the fender is double-walled. I never verified if this was true, but it was also confirmed by the owner of the collision shop that the PDR guy works with.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Premium/Sport

When you take the car in let them know that you are looking for competitive cash bids. It has been my experience that body shops (at least in my area) will usually give you more aggressive pricing than the insurance rates. Also, if you do have insurance, I would see if they have a repair estimate for the damage whether you choose to use them or not. This will help you know if the shops are being fair. In the past, when I've needed body work done, my insurance cut me a check then I shopped the repair centers letting them know that this would be out of pocket. In every case, I've usually saved from a few to several hundred bucks depending upon the work.