E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What to do? '08 550i into.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it's that time again, and the itch has started! have about 8 months remaining on my '08 LOADED 550i. By way of background, I've been driving Bimmers for 17 years, nearly straight. Everytime I "try" something else", I am pulled back to "the Drive". Had numerous E39's, E60's, and a couple '07/'08 750i's. Great cars, but -

I'm bored. Not of the drive, but I guess the same 'ol, same 'ol. buttons, seats, dash. I guess there's no challenge left? I was toying with the ideas of breaking lease early, and swapping for either a 2007/2008 Audi A8/S8, 07/08 Benz S550, CLS550, the NEW E350/550, or believe it or now, a Lexus LS460. I driven them all. all very different. Audi falls in between on the A series, and in line with BMW on the S series. The Benz is a cloud no matter how you slice it. The CLS550 is a solid sleek car, but smack our heads everytime getting into back seat (I have kids). Drove the Lexus today. I was pleasantly surprised how well the car drove. nearly silent, and drove great. certainly no bimmer, and no feeling of sport, but not an S550 either.

One of my main holdups is the payments suck right now to lease any of these. YES, i'd love a new 7, but these are all over a grand a month, except the Lexus at mid 900's. Hence my quest for CPO. I decided to hold off, and hold the very powerful 550i a few more months until I figure it out, when out of left field, a dealer friend of mine called and said they just got in a 2007 750i. Spt/Comfort access/convenience, seats, logic 7, etc.. LOADED, no Sirius (not sure what that's about). 5900 miles, that's all. car is brand new basically, and CPO'd. Monaco Blue/Saddle Brown. my current 5 is carbon black/saddle, and my previous 2 750i's were saddle. $49,000 for the car, best I could do so far. said he paid 48000 with CPO fees, etc. seems a bit high, but not for the mileage. I don't want to pay retail, but something fair.

So, my friends, your thoughts.. Go back a couple years, for a nice car? hold a smaller, but just as nice car? or consider something else? Looking for a nice drive, nice look, eye catcher (Lexus is not it!), and gosh darnit - I am sooooo darn confused.. this is the problem being a car nut!

Thanks for letting me vent.

Andy
Old 10-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Contributors

I also have an 08 550i sport fully loaded in carbon black/natural brown, my lease is up Jan 10. I have driven BMW's for over 20 years and have had most models. When I had the urge to drive something else in the past, I buy a different brand fro my wife, she currently drives a MB SLK 350. I am feeling the need for change too, and for the first time am considering buying something not BMW fro me. In my list of potential candidates I have the new E350 Coupe, the new Audi S4, and continue to look. But everytime I get back in my 550, I realize is superior and I may be sorry if i change over to something else. So I am waiting to see what the new F10 looks like , I will not make any decisions until I do.

In your case, I could not go from a 550i sport to an old 7, is too big, I still can't like the way it looks, gear selector on the steering column, etc. the 550 is so much better.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for, my top priority is engine, handling, etc but I am thinking about gas prices (they will go up even higher than last year). That is why I like the S4, with 330HP and the dual clutch transmission, it drives beautiful, and is $20k less than an M3 sedan.

Why don't you chill and see what the new F10 is like?
Old 10-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Casper' post='1023945' date='Oct 3 2009, 06:45 PM
I also have an 08 550i sport fully loaded in carbon black/natural brown, my lease is up Jan 10. I have driven BMW's for over 20 years and have had most models. When I had the urge to drive something else in the past, I buy a different brand fro my wife, she currently drives a MB SLK 350. I am feeling the need for change too, and for the first time am considering buying something not BMW fro me. In my list of potential candidates I have the new E350 Coupe, the new Audi S4, and continue to look. But everytime I get back in my 550, I realize is superior and I may be sorry if i change over to something else. So I am waiting to see what the new F10 looks like , I will not make any decisions until I do.

In your case, I could not go from a 550i sport to an old 7, is too big, I still can't like the way it looks, gear selector on the steering column, etc. the 550 is so much better.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for, my top priority is engine, handling, etc but I am thinking about gas prices (they will go up even higher than last year). That is why I like the S4, with 330HP and the dual clutch transmission, it drives beautiful, and is $20k less than an M3 sedan.

Why don't you chill and see what the new F10 is like?

I have no doubt the F10 will be a winner and ironically, it happens to be my least expensive course of action, but alot. I figure on day 1, leases for 36x12 for a 535 or whatever the new designation mid line is, will be mid 7's, with the 550 topping $1000/mo. that leaves the 550i off my list, payment too high. I also think the newly tuned 6 cylinder will be nearly as brutal as the 550i.

You mentioned the S4, E350 coupe, etc. all awesome cars, but smaller than I need. If I could ratchet down, it opens up a whole new world (S4!). I can't.

I'm up in June, last payment in May. I'll plan on ordering something around March, since they will probably have some type of pull ahead or maybe not. but worst case 1 or 2 payments it costs me..

I have to say, I am very taken with the A8/S8. The L is too long, and it's real tough to find a shorty. But interior is sexy, and high quality. most resales I see, even those in the high mileage range (40k +), the seats still look new. NO leather wear shown. amazing. It just feels right. The reviews put it somewhere in between the MB S-class and the 7 in terms of performance and handling. That should suffice. If I don't find one, will definitely order a F10.

by the way, regarding a different brand for the wife - she's done the Lexus's, Honda's, etc.. dumbass me bought her a 2005 X5 4.4i loaded, and now she's sucked into the cult too. she now has a year and a half left on her '08 X5 4.8i. She loves the truck. I hate the payment! She did say if I get the new E350 in white, with panaroma roof, etc, she would take that over when her X5 is up and I can get what I want at that point. not a bad thought!

Andy
Old 10-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wassy' post='1023867' date='Oct 3 2009, 03:15 PM
Well, it's that time again, and the itch has started! have about 8 months remaining on my '08 LOADED 550i. By way of background, I've been driving Bimmers for 17 years, nearly straight. Everytime I "try" something else", I am pulled back to "the Drive". Had numerous E39's, E60's, and a couple '07/'08 750i's. Great cars, but -

I'm bored. Not of the drive, but I guess the same 'ol, same 'ol. buttons, seats, dash. I guess there's no challenge left? I was toying with the ideas of breaking lease early, and swapping for either a 2007/2008 Audi A8/S8, 07/08 Benz S550, CLS550, the NEW E350/550, or believe it or now, a Lexus LS460. I driven them all. all very different. Audi falls in between on the A series, and in line with BMW on the S series. The Benz is a cloud no matter how you slice it. The CLS550 is a solid sleek car, but smack our heads everytime getting into back seat (I have kids). Drove the Lexus today. I was pleasantly surprised how well the car drove. nearly silent, and drove great. certainly no bimmer, and no feeling of sport, but not an S550 either.

One of my main holdups is the payments suck right now to lease any of these. YES, i'd love a new 7, but these are all over a grand a month, except the Lexus at mid 900's. Hence my quest for CPO. I decided to hold off, and hold the very powerful 550i a few more months until I figure it out, when out of left field, a dealer friend of mine called and said they just got in a 2007 750i. Spt/Comfort access/convenience, seats, logic 7, etc.. LOADED, no Sirius (not sure what that's about). 5900 miles, that's all. car is brand new basically, and CPO'd. Monaco Blue/Saddle Brown. my current 5 is carbon black/saddle, and my previous 2 750i's were saddle. $49,000 for the car, best I could do so far. said he paid 48000 with CPO fees, etc. seems a bit high, but not for the mileage. I don't want to pay retail, but something fair.

So, my friends, your thoughts.. Go back a couple years, for a nice car? hold a smaller, but just as nice car? or consider something else? Looking for a nice drive, nice look, eye catcher (Lexus is not it!), and gosh darnit - I am sooooo darn confused.. this is the problem being a car nut!

Thanks for letting me vent.

Andy

Take a new CTS 3.6DI for a test drive. Feels and drives like a 5 series, but faster. I have one of each.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

how goofy is this!? If you have money to burn, go for it, but it sounds like you're shying at all kinds of scenarios due to money implications. why not just buy a car you can afford and stick with it?

JMHO, I know you have your reasons, just not ones that would drive me!

Cal
Old 10-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='1024308' date='Oct 4 2009, 12:05 PM
how goofy is this!? If you have money to burn, go for it, but it sounds like you're shying at all kinds of scenarios due to money implications. why not just buy a car you can afford and stick with it?

JMHO, I know you have your reasons, just not ones that would drive me!

Cal

Point taken. I guess if you're not inflicted with the "car nut" disease I have, it would be hard to understand, but something tells me there are many more like me lurking these very boards. I'm just looking for a change Cal. In the past, wasn't much of an issue, but today with lease programs out in left field, it's hard to drive that Caddy at a Chevy price. If it works, great, if not, so be it...

Speaking of Caddy, I drove the CTS-V today. I went in with my 2 sons expecting very little expect quickness. I was even a bit standoffish with the salesman, letting him know I haven't driven American in many many years. too plastic-like quality in my opinion. I left 30 minutes later negotiating! impressive vehicle. in person, it has nice lines, the interior is sharp, and yes, it has power. It still lacks in the quality department, but the deals they are making on '09's didn't make it too hard to look past. I didn't end up buying it, but will continue to pursue it tomorrow.

I also drove an '06 Quattroporte. This is not something I even considered until a few friends suggested. I knew it would be quick, but did not expect how solid a feel the car is. It is very well connected, is overflowing with quality, and has the look and feel. I see what they mean about italian cars. not what I expected at all. this can also be had in the $50k price range. the tranny is a duo manual, with no manual clutch.. not the greatest for a daily driver in stop and go, but when you're getting looks from all around, it kind of keeps your mind off it.

I'll keep looking and considering, and the right deal for the right car will come up!

thanks guys.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Senior Members

+1 for the Maserati

it sounds like you want something unique, if thats true then Maserati is a perfect fit.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 528i Lexus LS460 Lexus GX470 Lexus RX300 Silversport

Try the LS460 Yesterday I got a comment from a Bimmer guy also (who drives a loaded 08 335i) and he said that someday he wants to buy a Lexus LS (whatever engine displacement it will be someday) even though he's always been a BMW guy lol..

I have both in the garage so I can't complain. It's comparing apples and oranges so you can't have it all in one car but you will love the comfort, luxury, and smoothness of an LS460 (or LS460L, or LS600HL)

Old 10-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GX528i' post='1024744' date='Oct 5 2009, 12:54 AM
Try the LS460 Yesterday I got a comment from a Bimmer guy also (who drives a loaded 08 335i) and he said that someday he wants to buy a Lexus LS (whatever engine displacement it will be someday) even though he's always been a BMW guy lol..

I have both in the garage so I can't complain. It's comparing apples and oranges so you can't have it all in one car but you will love the comfort, luxury, and smoothness of an LS460 (or LS460L, or LS600HL)

So, I went completely overboard. Wanted something different, but still something of a machine. Ended up with a 2009 Maserati Quattroporte S. same length as 750i, so big car. 425 HP, performs about same as my 550i. much more luxurious, but still a sports machine. BMW does have the handling down to a science. Maserati uses great components, but could improve cornering quite a bit! Will lurch around the board, no worries! still have the X5
Old 10-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by wassy' post='1042260' date='Oct 28 2009, 06:10 PM
So, I went completely overboard. Wanted something different, but still something of a machine. Ended up with a 2009 Maserati Quattroporte S. same length as 750i, so big car. 425 HP, performs about same as my 550i. much more luxurious, but still a sports machine. BMW does have the handling down to a science. Maserati uses great components, but could improve cornering quite a bit! Will lurch around the board, no worries! still have the X5
Congrats on the Maser. That is one of the most beautiful lookig sedans -- both interior and exterior -- in the world.

Quick Reply: What to do? '08 550i into.....