E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What Is The Difference

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey
I have been trying to figure out the difference between a E60 having only the CD Slot and a E60 having both the CD Slot and a DVD Slot. It seems on our E60's in Australia only the ones with the big 8.8" screen have the DVD Slot (I Could be wrong, but I have not seen one with a 6.5" screen have one yet).

The most confusing part of it all is they both state that they have Sat Nav in them. For example, a E60 with only a CD Slot states on the for sale discription that it has Sat Nav and the E60 with both Slots states that same thing.

I am guessing that the DVD Slot is the professional package but what is the difference then since you can not play DVD Movies in this DVD Slot Drive??

Could someone please unconfuse me from this mess hahaha.

Also if any Australian's out there that have the DVD Slot in their E60's could they let me know if it is 100% ture that DVD movies can not be played on the Australian model E60's.

Thanks

Dr.ZOIDBERG
Attached Thumbnails What Is The Difference-e60cdslot.jpg   What Is The Difference-e60cdslot_dvdslot.jpg  
Old 10-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

The major difference is the Maps... colored map views of the streets being displayed on the screen.

The one pictured below. (*with two slots*) means it has Professional Navigation. Meaning it has maps, turn direction arrows, and voice guidance.

The one pictured above either doesnt have NAV or if they say they have NAV then they have the Business Navigation. which only has Voice guidance and arrows... no maps...

In North America we only have Professional Navigation. So if a car has Nav it will have two slots.

In Europe theres more variety to the cars.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Members

I wonder if the Australian E60's are different, can anyone in Australia on these forums with a E60's can help me out on the difference if EBMCS03 is not correct for Australian models (No offence EBMCS03, but Aust models might be a tad different)

Hope to hear from someone soon

DR.ZOIDBERG
Old 10-29-2006, 04:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Sport Sedan. Titanuim Silver, Sunroof, Black Dakota Interior, Anthracite Maple Trim, Prof Sat Nav, Bluetooth

Yep, you are right.. The DVD Drive is permantely used with the Professional Navigation Maps DVD, and no it cannot play a Movie DVD..

So I am pretty sure that at least for Australia , DVD Drive = Professional Navigation.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DR.ZOIDBERG' post='349606' date='Oct 28 2006, 05:25 PM
I wonder if the Australian E60's are different, can anyone in Australia on these forums with a E60's can help me out on the difference if EBMCS03 is not correct for Australian models (No offence EBMCS03, but Aust models might be a tad different)

Hope to hear from someone soon

DR.ZOIDBERG
I'm a new starter here, and enjoy reading the forum.

I have a E60 530i in Australia. The previous post is spot on, if you have the Professional Navigation with 8.8" monitor, the DVD drive is a DVD-ROM drive for the Sat Nav Maps on DVD. For the Professional Sat Nav to function, the map DVD must be in the DVD drive. These map DVD's are periodically updated and sold by the BMW dealer.

My local BMW dealer in Sydney marketed the Sat Nav, Voice recognition & TV as the 'CCC' pack. The dealer advised me it is not possible to play video DVD's in this drive, which makes it interesting that in the Entertainment menu on the i-drive, DVD is a greyed (not available) option.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mrjames' post='349868' date='Oct 29 2006, 07:46 AM
Yep, you are right.. The DVD Drive is permantely used with the Professional Navigation Maps DVD, and no it cannot play a Movie DVD..

So I am pretty sure that at least for Australia , DVD Drive = Professional Navigation.
In the U.S., we can use the DVD to play music (you can put a fair number of MP3's on a DVD). Can the Australian cars do it?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Aussiee60' post='350155
In the U.S., we can use the DVD to play music (you can put a fair number of MP3's on a DVD).
Which is why there is a 'DVD' option on the menu -- it will change from grey to white if the appropriate music DVD is inserted in the slot...
Old 10-30-2006, 06:14 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='350235' date='Oct 30 2006, 02:12 PM
Which is why there is a 'DVD' option on the menu -- it will change from grey to white if the appropriate music DVD is inserted in the slot...
And before any bright spark thinks of trying to add both maps and music on to a single DVD don't bother. If the maps are found the DVD drive will not look for other content and will still maintain the Greyed out DVD in the entertainment menu, it's only when map data is not found but a disc is found will the iDrive start looking for other stuff it can play on the disc.
There is still an experiment that I've got to do to get a DVD and load every possible audio and video format on it in a attempt to see what all the drive is capable of reading.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Members

Thanks for all the information guys, really cleared it all up for me.

Can the 6.5" with Normal Nav (Voice & Arrows etc but not maps) play TV like the 8.8" one can when its hooked up by BMW too do so?
Old 10-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

By the way. I only have one slot as I have business navigation as opposed to professional navigation. However my slot is a DVD slot, and my navigation disk is a DVD. The unit can also play data DVD with Mp3 files.

Quick Reply: What Is The Difference