E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What a Difference...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, in the last few days my car has been through a lot. My battery died and I replaced my tranny pan/fluid and differential oil.

The battery I replaced with one from Vatozone. I wish I had the cable to register it but oh well. No problems thus far.

I purchased the tranny pan/fluid from www.thectsc.com. Props to Raj for the DIY. Before I was having slam issues when coming to a stop. After spirited driving my transmission would almost develop what I would call a delay. I would stop suddenly, be completely stopped and then my transmission would shift into first lurching forward. At times it was scary because maybe I stopped a little close to the car in front of me? Anyhow, after the change shifts are like butter. I can hardly feel the shifts and the slam is gone! I have also gone from 24.3 MPG to 25.2 MPG. Awesome.

Also, props to Rizbel for the differential DIY. I have no drain plug so I had to use the pump to suck out the fluid. I removed 1.2 Qt's and replaced the same with Lucas Oil synthetic.

I removed the DISA to check for build up and there really was none. I suspect my 11/05 build date has an improved design. While I was at it I Seafoamed the intake. I never could find a vacuum line so I used my fluid transfer pump (after cleaning it of course), routed the hose past the MAF and began pumping 1/2 a bottle straight into the throttle body with the engine running and at operating temp.

Now, the funny part is I performed this maintenance over the span of 2 days. After Seafoaming I let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes and then I restarted the car. Initially there was no smoke so I retired for the night. The next day after installing all of the underbody panels etc., I went for my test drive. I forgot that I even Seafoamed it because there was really no smoke to speak of initially. I went around the corner and realized I hadn't performed the tranny reset. So I stopped and performed the reset. When restarting the car the service engine soon light came on for a second. I was like "WTF?" until I saw white smoke pouring out the exhaust and remembered the Seafoam. It was 11PM and my entire neighborhood was asleep. So I cruised around for a while puffing smoke until it disappeared. At one point I kind of got on it and the engine almost stalled. It was a little scary but I just took it easy until the smoke stopped. After that I began really going for it, racing all over the place.

All I can say is my car feels completely different. It shifts smoother, is more responsive and I know I've done something to extend the life of my vehicle. If you haven't done so yet, I suggest you try it!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Premium, Nav, Ipod

Good info. Can you let us know how many miles your car has?
Old 10-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Members

nice! i try to seafoam my cars once/twice a year.. works good!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW535
Good info. Can you let us know how many miles your car has?

113,000k. I know I waited quite a while but the car has been acting up for about the last 40k. I can't quite remember if it was acting up the day I bought it used but it seems to be like it's always shifted rough compared to now.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by djlarroc
nice! i try to seafoam my cars once/twice a year.. works good!

I did try and do it before but had no luck with any of the vacuum lines. I didn't want to use the brake booster line because I didn't have a small enough hose clamp around. What line do you use? It was kind of a pain snaking the line past the MAF and it felt wrong to have the engine running with the airbox open.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 4.8L V8

Nice work Rictor! Glad to hear your car is running tip top again...or for the first time...not sure . Good thing, you need a safe car for that bundle of joy headed your way. You can't be out there rear ending cars with a B.O.B. (because your tranny slammed into gear). Anyway, good luck with your new and improved ride.

Nate
Old 10-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Members

So True. One of these days I might actually get around to buying that damn cable so the coding can begin! Provided there are no more sudden maintenance expenses...
Old 10-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Members

did you register your new aftermarket battery?
Old 10-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bonsai55555
did you register your new aftermarket battery?
From the POST:

"The battery I replaced with one from Vatozone. I wish I had the cable to register it but oh well. No problems thus far."

I would take that to mean, no.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Most indy shops will register your battery for free, at least the ones here in SoCal do. Haven't seen a single indy shop around here that won't do it.