E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What a day!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: An 1994 Ashamed-Mobile Partially Loaded, Leather. Radioless, Heatless, Gas-needleless.

Gentleman, by now you know that my heart is heavy on the 5. Given my most recent situation, and the new release of the 3SeriesCoupe, I decided to head in and see what was going on. Via web, the 3 from the rear appeared hmmmm ugly to be kind, but I figured I would check it out in person. It reminded me of the 6, a mini me six. I didnt even bother driving it. Well the 5 kept calling for me, and I answered the last time I went down the only 5 available for a test drive was an automatic 05 version. This time around there was a Silver Grey, 6 Speed Manual 06 version. A couple of things changed since the last time I took it out. For instance the HP, before I forget to mention it was a 525. Initially my plans were to purchase the 530, due to fear of the 525 being underpowered. Let me say this, the 2006 6 speed manual 525, should not be driven by non professional race car drivers. The 525 is to much for me! Seriously, I learned today that BMW, uses identical engines in some vehicles, but they tweak / alter the torq, to achieve more power. I hope I'm explaining this correctly.
Back to the road test. It hugged the road, I was briefed that insurance would be covered by BMW except when negligence is found on the drivers behalf. Knowing this I pushed the car like never before. I did 125 mph around a corner like it was nothing. I changed lanes erratically, left to right, right to left, it was as if I were a train stuck on the tracks. I found an open parking lot near a soccer stadium. I really wanted to see what this thing could do. AND I DID! It handled very well in any gear at every speed. That parking lot had its @$$ handed to it. Keep in mind all of this is happening in Naples Italy. One small thing that freaked me out, was that DSC or DTC ? Can't remember what it was. Does it stay on automatically? If so, it failed today. Listening to the sales rep he stated, on your way on the autostrada gun it and give it a go. I did, next thing I know I was drifting, I've never been more afraid, but by this time I made a stop to pick my daughter up to enjoy the testdrive, I'm hearing her scream at the top of her lungs, I knew I had to do something, It all happened at a moments notice. The car was in the other lane of oncoming traffic, every time I turned the wheel it would go that direction but I think I gave it a lil oversteer, Thanks to one of the board members here, I really think he saved my life (or her). I remember reading "point the car in the direction you wish to travel and the car does the rest" I did that after about 5 seconds of spinning all over the place, and it worked. Afterwards my daughter and I pulled over and collected ourselves and went directly back to the dealer. The tires didnt appear slick, but that Italian asphalt is something else. One more thing, before the dealer sent me off, he did point out that there was a hazard warning that he had never seen before, he said he would check into it later. It was a triangle with an exclamation and a left directional arrow pointing / circling over it. Any ideas on what that could be?
My duaghter did say the car was breath taking! LOL It was a scary moment, I learned my lesson, 215 HP in the hands of someone like myself is a dangerous thing. Rear wheel drive...WOOOOW!!!!
Overall, I still enjoy driving the car, maybe I'm to immature for it right now though, with a heavy foot and all.....
Old 11-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

Nice right up

Hope he wont make you pay for the car
Old 11-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by Dickens' post='355005' date='Nov 11 2006, 06:17 PM
Gentleman, by now you know that my heart is heavy on the 5. Given my most recent situation, and the new release of the 3SeriesCoupe, I decided to head in and see what was going on. Via web, the 3 from the rear appeared hmmmm ugly to be kind, but I figured I would check it out in person. It reminded me of the 6, a mini me six. I didnt even bother driving it. Well the 5 kept calling for me, and I answered the last time I went down the only 5 available for a test drive was an automatic 05 version. This time around there was a Silver Grey, 6 Speed Manual 06 version. A couple of things changed since the last time I took it out. For instance the HP, before I forget to mention it was a 525. Initially my plans were to purchase the 530, due to fear of the 525 being underpowered. Let me say this, the 2006 6 speed manual 525, should not be driven by non professional race car drivers. The 525 is to much for me! Seriously, I learned today that BMW, uses identical engines in some vehicles, but they tweak / alter the torq, to achieve more power. I hope I'm explaining this correctly.
Back to the road test. It hugged the road, I was briefed that insurance would be covered by BMW except when negligence is found on the drivers behalf. Knowing this I pushed the car like never before. I did 125 mph around a corner like it was nothing. I changed lanes erratically, left to right, right to left, it was as if I were a train stuck on the tracks. I found an open parking lot near a soccer stadium. I really wanted to see what this thing could do. AND I DID! It handled very well in any gear at every speed. That parking lot had its @$$ handed to it. Keep in mind all of this is happening in Naples Italy. One small thing that freaked me out, was that DSC or DTC ? Can't remember what it was. Does it stay on automatically? If so, it failed today. Listening to the sales rep he stated, on your way on the autostrada gun it and give it a go. I did, next thing I know I was drifting, I've never been more afraid, but by this time I made a stop to pick my daughter up to enjoy the testdrive, I'm hearing her scream at the top of her lungs, I knew I had to do something, It all happened at a moments notice. The car was in the other lane of oncoming traffic, every time I turned the wheel it would go that direction but I think I gave it a lil oversteer, Thanks to one of the board members here, I really think he saved my life (or her). I remember reading "point the car in the direction you wish to travel and the car does the rest" I did that after about 5 seconds of spinning all over the place, and it worked. Afterwards my daughter and I pulled over and collected ourselves and went directly back to the dealer. The tires didnt appear slick, but that Italian asphalt is something else. One more thing, before the dealer sent me off, he did point out that there was a hazard warning that he had never seen before, he said he would check into it later. It was a triangle with an exclamation and a left directional arrow pointing / circling over it. Any ideas on what that could be?
My duaghter did say the car was breath taking! LOL It was a scary moment, I learned my lesson, 215 HP in the hands of someone like myself is a dangerous thing. Rear wheel drive...WOOOOW!!!!
Overall, I still enjoy driving the car, maybe I'm to immature for it right now though, with a heavy foot and all.....

That hazzard warning you got was the indication that the DSC and DTC is OFF. Thats why you drifted.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Members

My Ride: An 1994 Ashamed-Mobile Partially Loaded, Leather. Radioless, Heatless, Gas-needleless.

There wasnt any physical damage to the car. But I came dang close to that guard rail. Maybe I didnt write my post in the correct order. Before he sent me off on the test drive he told me about that warning. Also I pressed that DSC/DTC?button several times and watched the display, but nothing changed. Not even a simple green or redlight near the button itself to indicate whether or not it was on. I knew it was important, because a couple of you don't drive without, (UNLESS) You are trying to slide and or spin out. And my wife thinks these boards are crazy. If I had been in any other vehicle, My daughter and I would possibly be picking glass from our heads. I guess when you leave a vehicle with only 140hp and make the jump up to 215 there will be a huge difference. If you are shopping around and can't decide on the 525 or the 530, take that extra money that would pay for that extra hp and spend it on options. Who knew a entry level car could perform so well. Although there is that image factor that will kick in and tell you that you need that 530 (which is the same engine..right) That 530 badge. And most of all knowing that you...
Old 11-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Wow crazy! I'm glad you, your daughter and the car is ok. I think your car had a DSC malfunction. prob a bad wheel sensor or somthing. that will fail the DSC.

So after beating up the test car so bad are you going to get one and join this cult?
Old 11-12-2006, 04:51 AM
Members

My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

Wow! What a ride... time to buy?
Old 11-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Members

I've only been doing research for a couple of years now. One would think I would have made the leap by now, my wife says I research too much. 20/20 did a story on shoppers like me. Commitment something they called it. I would still consider buying though, even after the near death experience.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

My 530 with a manual transmission barely gets out of it's own way, I can't possibly seeing a 525 scaring you.