E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What could be causing this tire wear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 95 M3 CAI, chipped, pulleys, Xbrace, doesn't give headaches every time I start up! 04 545i all the goodies INCLUDING HEADACHES!

This tire wear is occurring only on the right front and mainly on the extreme outside of the tire and some wear is on the inside. The tires only have about 3K on them. I had a dealer realignment (they said it was not far off) and the active steering reset at the dealer. The car does not "pull" to either side and there are no vibrations. There are actual chunks coming off! Could the control arm bushings cause this? All others are wearing normally... It appears that it's been run with extreme under pressure but this have not been the case.
Attached Thumbnails What could be causing this tire wear?-rtfronttire2.jpg  
Old 01-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never seen anything like that before, especially on such new tires
even with a horrible allignment it wouldnt explain chuncks of tire coming off like that
Maybe its a factory defect? almost all tires come with a workmanship warranty
I'd contact who ever you purchased the tires from. Did you buy them from tire rack? They are pretty good about stuff like that.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Have you been cornering hard lately? In your case to the left. It happened to me on my 3 series before. I went to the dealer and they asked me if I have been cornering hard. I was, I always like speeding up on the ramp and cornering hard.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Senior Members

I would start with getting the alignment and camber/caster checked on the car. Also if you have the tires improperly inflated can cause extreme ware on only a particular area of the tire.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

under-inflated and taking corners too hard??
Old 01-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Looks to me likes it's toed in, have you curbed it recently? Either way, and alignment is a must

If it's toed in the front wheels basically look like / \ or one side is straight and the side pictured is toed in. That explains the tire wear, if you're driving straight and the tire is pointed \ - guess what happens? It wears exactly like you show
Old 01-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

You know what I would do before trying anything else? Swap it with another wheel and see if the other wheel wears the same way on this corner. If it does, then I would go and really check the alignment - like, look at the actual readout. You don't really need to pay for a whole alignment for that - just find an alignment shop and ask them to put it up on the machine and see what it shows as is. If alignment is good, it is something having to do with the wheel's rotation - bearing comes to mind.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Members

I don't understand how even the worst tire alignment would cause chunks of rubber to come off the tire especially after only 3k miles on Pilots
Never seen that my self but i guess anything possible
Old 01-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 95 M3 CAI, chipped, pulleys, Xbrace, doesn't give headaches every time I start up! 04 545i all the goodies INCLUDING HEADACHES!

Originally Posted by Loni313
I don't understand how even the worst tire alignment would cause chunks of rubber to come off the tire especially after only 3k miles on Pilots
Never seen that my self but i guess anything possible
Yeah, I agree I would think that the dealer would find something when the did the alignment even after I told them of the problem with the front tire. I'm not corning hard or running on low pressure. The tires were new from the place I bought the car from, so I'll have to go to a independant dealer to check the tire for defects. I doubt if they will give me any credit towards a new tire. I can't rotate without taking the tire from the rim with the sports suspension so I not going that route. I'll repost on my results, and any other ideas are welcome.....
Old 01-18-2011, 03:22 AM
Members

Take it back to the dealer and let them examine it first.

Quick Reply: What could be causing this tire wear?