E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What to buy! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Jalal90,

Welcome to the forum!

You should test-drive a few models and make up your mind that way. I did and that helped me choose between the 'd' and the 'i' models.

I'd say:

520d or 525d
M-sport
options > depends on what you want to have.

If you're going for 2ndhand, look a bit carefully and see if you can get one that has warranty still on it.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY2004 530d. Poverty spec

I would consider manual transmission as well - 10% better fuel economy than auto, so you can justify a 530d . However, you'll pay more for a diesel second hand than you will a petrol. It's worth calculating if you'll actually save money overall for the mileage you're likely to drive it.

UK cars come with neither leather nor satnav as standard.

In Europe (not USA) there are two levels of satnav - "Business" has no maps, just directional arrows, "Professional" has maps (and a slightly larger screen). Professional usually comes as part of the media package that includes some other stuff as well. I have Business nav on mine, and while I initially thought I'd miss maps, it actually works really well. And the TMC is occasionally very useful indeed.

Good luck, and just a friendly hint, but you'll probably get less pisstaking if you didn't type like a 14 year old on a mobile phone .
Old 09-15-2008, 01:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by boltoa' post='669609' date='Sep 15 2008, 11:19 AM
Good luck, and just a friendly hint, but you'll probably get less pisstaking if you didn't type like a 14 year old on a mobile phone .
... or is it just us growing old, grumpy and conservative...? Anyway, I thought it rather fun that jalal90 first asks about just any E60 and then directly talks about 520d's only...
Old 09-15-2008, 06:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Hi Jalal90,

I'm also new to this forum (but not new to the world of BMW).

I can only give you advice for the Dutch market, but i think it will be quite equal to the UK market (except for the RHD ).

Here in Holland a 520d is a great car with plenty of power. If you modify the ECU you will get around 200bhp. Compared with the Toyota it will be a great improvement!
Of course, the 6 cilinder is the way to go, but if you want real fuel economy, get the 520d and preferably the new 177bhp engine. The latter is even more quiet (built from approx. 3-2007).

The M sport looks the best, but the M suspension is less comfortable than standard. If you decide to go for the non M sport, please test drive the standard seats. I really dislike them (I'm quite tall) and would opt for the sport seats or the comfort seats (option# 456).

Here in Holland the automatic has the best re-sale value and with our heavy traffic it's the best choice....