E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What Is The Biggest BMW Ripoff??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what abouth the engines? overhere the 8 cylinder is a hefty 30k EXTRA on top of the 3 litre 6 cylinder, which btw isn't a bargain as well
then we have these 6 cylinders: the 3 litre model must cost the same to manufacture as the 2.5 and the 2.3: same block, 98% of stuff they put in is the same. I cannot imagine that the manufacturing of one cranckshaft costs something different from the other, but they do charge heavily (6k extra for every step in displacement)
Old 05-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by denuyl' post='283212' date='May 16 2006, 12:28 PM
what abouth the engines? overhere the 8 cylinder is a hefty 30k EXTRA on top of the 3 litre 6 cylinder, which btw isn't a bargain as well
then we have these 6 cylinders: the 3 litre model must cost the same to manufacture as the 2.5 and the 2.3: same block, 98% of stuff they put in is the same. I cannot imagine that the manufacturing of one cranckshaft costs something different from the other, but they do charge heavily (6k extra for every step in displacement)

Where is "over here" You really need to put your location in your information so members can tell what you are talking about.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Members

BMW pricing on several items is way over the top on some options - Comfort Access $1000, Night vision $2200. Too pricey for me. I passed. The other thing is way does it cost extra for a CD changer. Most luxury vehicle come with the CD changer as standard equipment.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I don't find searching from location or destination too onerous though. Not had a problem with a restaurant, park or fuel stop.

I will tell you why this is a problem.

Recently I wanted to play golf at a course in the Orlando area where I had never been before. The course is located at the Ritz-Carlton / JW Marriott resort at Grande Lakes.

Rather than enter the address of the hotels, I tried to search for the location by Information.

To search by information, you have 2 choices. Location (meaning search near your position), or Destination (search near a city you input).

I chose Destination. The hotels/ golf course are located in Orlando, FL. So I enter Orlando as the city.

Next I get a list of hotels in Orlando, sorted by distance from downtown Orlando.

Well.... I probably don't need to tell you, but Orlando has a MILLION hotels. We're the largest damn travel destination in the world. So... I had to scroll through pages and pages of hotels, which were not sorted in alphabetical order.... until I found the JW Marriott. It took several minutes.

This is unacceptable. On all previous cars with Nav, I could have simply entered "JW Marriott" in "Orlando" and I would have had the guidance immediately. The BMW navigation is the ONLY nav system I have ever seen which doesn't have this functionality.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='283231' date='May 16 2006, 11:08 AM
I will tell you why this is a problem.
Recently I wanted to play golf at a course in the Orlando area where I had never been before. The course is located at the Ritz-Carlton / JW Marriott resort at Grande Lakes.

Rather than enter the address of the hotels, I tried to search for the location by Information.
To search by information, you have 2 choices. Location (meaning search near your position), or Destination (search near a city you input).

I chose Destination. The hotels/ golf course are located in Orlando, FL. So I enter Orlando as the city.

Next I get a list of hotels in Orlando, sorted by distance from downtown Orlando.
Well.... I probably don't need to tell you, but Orlando has a MILLION hotels. We're the largest damn travel destination in the world. So... I had to scroll through pages and pages of hotels, which were not sorted in alphabetical order.... until I found the JW Marriott. It took several minutes.
This is unacceptable. On all previous cars with Nav, I could have simply entered "JW Marriott" in "Orlando" and I would have had the guidance immediately. The BMW navigation is the ONLY nav system I have ever seen which doesn't have this functionality.
I defended the BMW nav in that "happy not to have nav" thread the other day but I have to totally agree with you here, the inability to get destinations in the manner you describe is nothing short of criminal. Much as I like the nav in general, this specific lack of functionality is just shocking - and surely could be addressed via a S/W update?
Old 05-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

theve stopped putting the torch in the glovebox....tight!!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='283233' date='May 16 2006, 07:16 PM
I defended the BMW nav in that "happy not to have nav" thread the other day but I have to totally agree with you here, the inability to get destinations in the manner you describe is nothing short of criminal. Much as I like the nav in general, this specific lack of functionality is just shocking - and surely could be addressed via a S/W update?
The Nav s/w is awful compared to, say, a TomTom, but still not bad compared to other built-ins. Updating it should be easy in theory - but given the time it takes to calculate a fairly short route (Central London to Surry, 25 miles or so) I suspect that any additional functionality will be restricted by the available processor/memory hardware.

I'd like to see BMW go talk to a dedicated navigation hardware company like TomTom.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='283008' date='May 16 2006, 01:24 AM
I love my car but sometimes BMW can really rip us off. From overpriced options, to warrantee exclusions to BMWFS policies. To me it has to be the anthricite headliner option where they charge $500 more if you want your headliner to be black. I have spoken with people who have toured the factory that said there are two rolls of headliner material sitting next to eachother on the assembly line so there is no difference in labor at all. The material is the same. It's just a chance for them to make some extra $$ on us. In your opinions, what is the biggest BMW ripoff??

Paying a 1000 bucks more for comfort access is a complete joke on a $60K+ car. Not to mention almost 500 beans for the folding rear seats. Shame on you BMW.

I will say the sports package is a great deal for what you get. This offsets the items above or at least keeps me from raising hell.

CVT Benhogan
Old 05-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i Sport. Mystic Blue. Logic 7, 6 CD Changer, Floormats. Just call me the last of the big spenders!!

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='283236' date='May 16 2006, 07:21 PM
theve stopped putting the torch in the glovebox....tight!!
I know!! Cheap Ba****ds!

I was stupid enough to get 'Service Inclusive' for ?1000. So far they've changed the oil TWICE! I've had the car for 18mths now.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:40 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='283172' date='May 16 2006, 10:49 AM
It's now `free' for 4 years.
That's what I'm talking about. Shoud be retroactive on '04s, too.
I noticed I had four bars this week. I called in and the answer gave me instructions on how to subscribe. No thanks.

Quick Reply: What Is The Biggest BMW Ripoff??