E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What am I doing wrong? my 550i doesn't seem as powerful as it sho

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: alpinewhite's ride

Get a ECU remap. ~20 hp , ~20 tq gain and quicker response. PM me if interested.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wassy' post='615684' date='Jul 3 2008, 04:17 PM
Forgive me if this insults anyone's vehicle, but the only way I can describe how I feel is that my '08 550i with sport tranny doesn't feel as powerful as I remember from my '07 550i, nor does it seem any stronger feeling than the 2 7'ers I just came from, same engine. Don't get me wrong, the car is plenty fast, and plenty powerful. THere are times on the road though, where the car's got that "Holy Shit" feeling, but then there are the others where yeah it's fast and moves, but no wow. I can't pinpoint it. The word I'm possibly trying to think of is responsiveness. I've been looking into the sprint booster's, but can't imagine its' "that much better".

I will say the Sport button definitely gives the car a more aggressive all around response. I love the car, not dissing it, but I bought the 550 again, over the new twin turbo 535i which is damn close to what the '07 550i had in performance times, just for that extra WOW factor with the engine.

I'm sure the aero kit, rims, and the m-sport didn't have anything to do with my decision either

I will say one thing for sure. They definitely, absolutely tightened up the active steer from my '05 545i with active steer. There is a significant and huge difference. In fact, I still wonder if the system is activated on the car, it feels so BMW natural. The overall presentaton of the car is also a big jump. from interior upgrades to the exterior, the LCI model just seems to present itself as a more well rounded package, if ya know what I mean.

Happy 4th to all who celebrate. Have fun and stay SAFE!
For what it's worth, I too sometimes feel as though the beast is lacking in the acceleration department. Oddly enough, the car seems to be the most responsive the first time I "punch" it each day. Some times it will surprise you and really put you back in the seat, but at other times, the V8 isn't that much more exciting than some 6-cylinder vehicles I have driven. I've attested the problem to the ambient temperature, A/C drain, passengers, etc...but who knows. Whatever the case, the SPORT button seems to correct this behavior more times than not. As far as the Sprint Booster, I have one so it is unlikely this is the answer your are looking for.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JDoug550' post='616061' date='Jul 3 2008, 11:01 PM
For what it's worth, I too sometimes feel as though the beast is lacking in the acceleration department. Oddly enough, the car seems to be the most responsive the first time I "punch" it each day. Some times it will surprise you and really put you back in the seat, but at other times, the V8 isn't that much more exciting than some 6-cylinder vehicles I have driven. I've attested the problem to the ambient temperature, A/C drain, passengers, etc...but who knows. Whatever the case, the SPORT button seems to correct this behavior more times than not. As far as the Sprint Booster, I have one so it is unlikely this is the answer your are looking for.
thanks. just what I was looking for.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 //M5 AW smg

Originally Posted by John@EuroRev' post='615992' date='Jul 3 2008, 06:04 PM
Get a ECU remap. ~20 hp , ~20 tq gain and quicker response. PM me if interested.
I just got my 08 550i sport 2 months ago. I understand what you meant. The 08 got a slower throttle response especially
when going into a turn it feels like you're in a dead zone! I called eurorev and was looking for sprint booster but
vincent convinced me to get the ecu remap. It was the best mod that i have done. Car felt lighter and much much more
responsive. I wish i would of known that ECU makes a big different as i would have kept my cls63 because that felt heavy
and slow response. I do alot of city driving so how my car drives is very important. I hope this helps you.
Tom
Old 07-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You can also try turning off DSC (but don't come crying to me if you wreck!). I've noticed (with the help of Gerry aka "realtyman") that if you turn DSC completely off, the car is much more responsive off the line, etc.

Keep in mind that on an SMG car, doing this and flooring it will initiate a launch...
Old 07-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='616107' date='Jul 3 2008, 11:55 PM
You can also try turning off DSC (but don't come crying to me if you wreck!). I've noticed (with the help of Gerry aka "realtyman") that if you turn DSC completely off, the car is much more responsive off the line, etc.

It was like that on my previous cars (traction control only.) Guys on the forums would tell me I was imagining things when I'd say the throttle was more responsive with traction control off, even at highway speeds. But back to the fi-fitty, this looks like a trend. I have the manual, but still get those "she's on fire tonight!" days and the "not tonight, I have a headache" days, too. Finicky engine, this 4.8?

Another thing I noticed is that she feels like she has more juice just after a fill-up. I guess the extra weight on the rear gets more traction and more power to the ground. Gotta love paper-thin sidewalls...
Old 07-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='615761' date='Jul 3 2008, 04:18 PM
On a more serious note, lately I've been noticing what seems to be something of a "surging" of power on my car. I can't tell if it's just my imagination or if there's something else going on. I'm due for a visit to the dealer before the end of the month so we'll see if it's something or not. Under heavy acceleration, in manual sport mode (as usual), the car doesn't always pull in a linear way as it once did.

It feels as if I either have a clogged injector (or bad fuel), or something in the transmission or drivetrain is consuming power from the engine. What's strange is that it doesn't seem to happen all the time (which leads me to believe it may be related to something electronic, software, or some other component that might behave differently under different conditions like temperature, etc.)
Rudy, I have been experiencing the same thing! Nothing that has driven me to the dealer yet but between this issue and the tranny I find myself missing my old 545 at times... Can't tell if it's the tranny that has learned some bad habits from my driving or if there is some other issue going on.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

some suggestions.

* did you clean/replace your air filter?
* did you gain some weight recently?
* you could try cleaning your MAF with something like http://www.autobarn.net/maairflsecl1...te=google_base.
* if you're looking for more responsiveness then the sprint booster definitely makes it that much better.

what RPMs are you looking for the responsiveness? my butt dyno definitely feels the most power when i'm flooring it past 3,000 rpm in 3rd gear.

michael

Originally Posted by wassy' post='615684' date='Jul 3 2008, 01:17 PM
I've been looking into the sprint booster's, but can't imagine its' "that much better".
Old 07-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='619103' date='Jul 8 2008, 07:58 PM
some suggestions.

* did you clean/replace your air filter? No, only have 6,000 miles on the car. Shouldn't need replacing at this point given my city driving environment.
* did you gain some weight recently? Despite my best efforts, especially this past weekend, no...
* you could try cleaning your MAF with something like http://www.autobarn.net/maairflsecl1...te=google_base. Will look into...
* if you're looking for more responsiveness then the sprint booster definitely makes it that much better. Not sure I want to try on my leased car...

what RPMs are you looking for the responsiveness? my butt dyno definitely feels the most power when i'm flooring it past 3,000 rpm in 3rd gear.

michael
Not sure to whom your post is directed but my answer are in bold above...
Old 07-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

directed to anyone who feels like their car is slow.

sprint booster can easily be removed once your lease is up. nothing permanent at all. anyone who wants responsiveness in throttle should do it!

michael

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='619109' date='Jul 8 2008, 06:05 PM
Not sure to whom your post is directed but my answer are in bold above...

Quick Reply: What am I doing wrong? my 550i doesn't seem as powerful as it sho