E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What am I doing wrong? my 550i doesn't seem as powerful as it sho

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='615742' date='Jul 3 2008, 05:06 PM
Why did you go from an '07 to an '08?
went from an 07 550i to a 06 750i for an incredible deal. thought I'd try something different for a change. love it, when lease was nearing end, or thereabouts, locked in another great deal to stay with the 7'er. had an accident, got a new car. couldn't really afford the 7. actually, I can't afford any of this, but cars are my little hobby.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Contributors

WestCoast,

I tend to agree. to most drivers, this thing is an animal. In fact, to me it's an animal. just looking for more, perhaps.

I'm curious though. why pick the fly shit out? why not ask the server for a new pepper shaker?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

On a more serious note, lately I've been noticing what seems to be something of a "surging" of power on my car. I can't tell if it's just my imagination or if there's something else going on. I'm due for a visit to the dealer before the end of the month so we'll see if it's something or not. Under heavy acceleration, in manual sport mode (as usual), the car doesn't always pull in a linear way as it once did.

It feels as if I either have a clogged injector (or bad fuel), or something in the transmission or drivetrain is consuming power from the engine. What's strange is that it doesn't seem to happen all the time (which leads me to believe it may be related to something electronic, software, or some other component that might behave differently under different conditions like temperature, etc.)
Old 07-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the car fully broking in yet? Most seem to say it takes a good 10K to 20K for the engine to fully come alive.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by wassy' post='615758' date='Jul 3 2008, 02:14 PM
WestCoast,

I tend to agree. to most drivers, this thing is an animal. In fact, to me it's an animal. just looking for more, perhaps.

I'm curious though. why pick the fly shit out? why not ask the server for a new pepper shaker?

In that case, grab the pepper shaker with the big M on it...
Old 07-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='615761' date='Jul 3 2008, 05:18 PM
On a more serious note, lately I've been noticing what seems to be something of a "surging" of power on my car. I can't tell if it's just my imagination or if there's something else going on. I'm due for a visit to the dealer before the end of the month so we'll see if it's something or not. Under heavy acceleration, in manual sport mode (as usual), the car doesn't always pull in a linear way as it once did.

It feels as if I either have a clogged injector (or bad fuel), or something in the transmission or drivetrain is consuming power from the engine. What's strange is that it doesn't seem to happen all the time (which leads me to believe it may be related to something electronic, software, or some other component that might behave differently under different conditions like temperature, etc.)
Rudy , maybe you need the old Hold the ............ for 35 secs
Old 07-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

It does seem the 550i has a soft throttle response in normal mode off the line. It does seem to always start in 2nd whick makes it worse. I have kicked it to 1st and pulled away quicker from a light. Sport mode in M1 mode resolves any sluggishness and the car gets away very quickly. Although, I've yet to turn off DSC and spin the tires just for fun. It was SOOO easy in the '02 M5. In the 550i, only in a turn have I gottten even just a squawk from the tires.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Just want to make sure your comparing apples to apples in terms of cargo: I know when there are more passengers than just me in the car, acceration is much less exzillerating ...
Old 07-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='615804' date='Jul 3 2008, 06:11 PM
Rudy , maybe you need the old Hold the ............ for 35 secs
I tried that once but to me, it didn't seem to make a difference. Anyone with a sport auto get that trick to work?
Old 07-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='615858' date='Jul 3 2008, 06:59 PM
I tried that once but to me, it didn't seem to make a difference. Anyone with a sport auto get that trick to work?

I don't think the software needs resetting. it isn't broken in yet but that's not it either. It could be the soft response as suggested above. But it could be the programming. I'll give it a while if I can remember, tomorrow.

Sport mode is much more aggressive, that is true. I think the back end (higher speeds) is awesome, say from 60 MPH to 110 MPH. super quick and smooth as silk. It's the front end, and off the line that although strong, doesn't have that charging bull kick, if you know what I mean.

By the way, I got my ass KICKED something fierce the other night by a Subaru or Toyota Tercel or similar that was all tricked out. I saw this coming, turned off A/C, switched to Sport Mode and figured I'd have fun and burn a gallon for a couple hundred feet. I kept pace for the 1st 10 feet, no shit that's all it was, and this briggs and stratton tore me a new one. And that's being very kind. Yes, I know how to drive, but this thing must have had a small jet engine. I was impressed as hell with his rice burner, but also quite dissapointed in my German engineered and finely tuned Ultimate Driving Machine.

Quick Reply: What am I doing wrong? my 550i doesn't seem as powerful as it sho