E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What the @#&* is wrong with this car

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Hello all. Im driving to a dinner tonight when all of a sudden, DING....

1) Transmission failsafe only goes 1-3 blah blah blah
2) Increased emission

so i pull over and turn the car off and it wont go out of neutral (SMG tranny). Called tow truck and have it towed to dealer which is 1 mile away. Im stuck since after hours and no service..and no rental comp around. I decide to try the car again and voila...all systems go. I decide to leave and drive home sinceI was stuck and thought it may have been a fluke...half way home and DING...

1) Transmission failsafe
2) Increased emission
3) ABS malfunction
5) Active steering malfunction

I manage to get home and not sure what im gonna do next since this is my only vehicle... there have been many reports similar to this and Im pretty sure it's the battery. In fact when I went to check the car...the fuel punp priming even sounded different (no power?)

What do you guys think. battery? Also, if it is, whats the verdict on oem vs non oem batteries and registering?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Senior Members

did you recently disconnect the battery?? maybe loose connection on battery??? this happend to me once with all these warning message came up and it was the loose connection on battery....

so check that... if not it might be battery but i highly doubt it since you can start the car... do you have any battery charger?? maybe you hook it up and see how it is...
Old 02-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by monsterj34
did you recently disconnect the battery?? maybe loose connection on battery??? this happend to me once with all these warning message came up and it was the loose connection on battery....

so check that... if not it might be battery but i highly doubt it since you can start the car... do you have any battery charger?? maybe you hook it up and see how it is...

no, never did anything with the battery...only issue recently had a flat and pulled the spare out but thats it. Battery is 5 years old and seems like its the right time for it to go bad.

Even checked the elctronic modules under spare and no water there
Old 02-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

is your battery original? if it is, its due for a replacement.
check the battery connection.
check again for water under spare.

maybe the pump is going bad on your trans.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

5 yrs thats pretty good.. mine died at age 3.5... i only expect around 4 now a days with batts...

Hopefully its the battery and not the hydraulic pump
Old 02-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
5 yrs thats pretty good.. mine died at age 3.5... i only expect around 4 now a days with batts...

Hopefully its the battery and not the hydraulic pump

Thanks guys. I will check the connection but its unlikely since ive never even opened the compartment (unless its corroded i suppose). Doubt that its the fuel pum, just seems too coincidental with everything else. I actually spoje with my SA onhis cell and will be taking it in. He's confident its the battery and echoed what lots of others have said about batteries...simply put, he said yes I can get aftermarket battery but it needs to be recognized by reprogramming the car or it may lead to damage later. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Blacked out 530i, Carbon Fiber Pillars, Carbon Fiber Emblems (Wheels, Steering Wheel and Hood/Trunk). Blacked out kidney Grill, Smoked side marker lights, 15mm Rear Spacers, K&N Filter, Window Tint, Navigon Syst. Breyton Front Lip. Bilistein Coil Over Suspension Front & Rear Droped 1.5" Genuine M5 Pedal set. Mtechnik side skirts, RPI Exhaust.

That didnt happen to me but if and when your ready to replace your battery DO NOT take it to your dealer if you want to save your self some money..... the batteries that BMW use are made by Interstate Battery, you will need a battery that is at least 850cca which is cold cranking amps. Go to your local Firestone store and order one, it will cost around $160 - $180 depending on make and model. To replace it, all you have to do is remove the passenger trunk carpet cover and disconnect the old battery and connect your new one. There is NO programing of any sort needed. I did this my self and iv had NO issues at all. Or you can go to the stealerships and pay $65 an hour to do the same and buy their battery that has the BMW logo for another $100 added to your bill. Good luck and hope my info was useful.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by steeda106
That didnt happen to me but if and when your ready to replace your battery DO NOT take it to your dealer if you want to save your self some money..... the batteries that BMW use are made by Interstate Battery, you will need a battery that is at least 850cca which is cold cranking amps. Go to your local Firestone store and order one, it will cost around $160 - $180 depending on make and model. To replace it, all you have to do is remove the passenger trunk carpet cover and disconnect the old battery and connect your new one. There is NO programing of any sort needed. I did this my self and iv had NO issues at all. Or you can go to the stealerships and pay $65 an hour to do the same and buy their battery that has the BMW logo for another $100 added to your bill. Good luck and hope my info was useful.

Thanks for your advice. Not sure yet what the problem is...dealer doing diagnostic but they seem to think its either the alternator, battery or even possibly the SMG pump. Ill keep you posted. I agree that the battery is easy to replace but I've seen multiple postings about the car recognizing the new battery so that it does not over charge it..sound fishy or real?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by nikko64
I've seen multiple postings about the car recognizing the new battery so that it does not over charge it..sound fishy or real?

It sounds fishy but I think its real... some might have been lucky enough where the car just adapted to the new battery... I've also heard both sides to it...

No more warranty?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:29 AM
koo
Members

Recently changed my battery, couple of days later same problem which turned out to be an intermittent alternator. New battery straight swap and alternator been running fine, however when I took the car to an indy recently he tell me the battery is overcharging!

Quick Reply: What the @#&* is wrong with this car