E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is "electric lock" associated with active steering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 05:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

So, still researching permanent active steering malfunction. INPA and DIS/GT1 says fault code 613D "Electric lock". After studying WDS (wiring diagram), the "Electric Lock" is an electronic or electro mechanical device connected to pin 21 and 22 of the active steering control modul.

DIS/GT1 tells me to measure the resistance across pin 21 and 22, but doesn't tell me what the value should be. Since I cannot actually connect probes to my laptop version of GT1, I am out of luck as the DIS procedure errors out since it doesn't receive a reading.

Anyway, anyone know what the "Electric Lock" is, and whether or not it can be serviced. Hopefully, it is not part of a larger and uber expensive assembly. WDS shows it is located under the hood on the drivers (left) side. From the picture provided by WDS, it is impossible to tell exactly where under the hood.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:09 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

This article describes it's function. Can't find a pic of it in RealOEM but it must be located on or near the hydraulic steering unit. If you find and can access it with an ohm meter I'm guessing
it would measure 200 to 500 ohms (just a guess).
Good luck with the repairs!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_108098152/

"In the form adopted by BMW for optional use on its 2004 5-series sedans, Active Steering is an add-on module mounted to the pinion shaft between a conventional ZF Servetronic 2 torque-sensing power-assist control valve and the rack housing. Housed inside the module's compact aluminum casting, there's a compound planetary gear set. An electric motor that drives the planetary gear set's carrier on demand and an electromagnetic locking device that disables the active side of the steering system are externally attached."

also

"The fun begins when the ECU disengages the electromagnetic locking unit (which assures normal mechanical steering in the event of any electronic systems failure) and tells the electric motor to spin the planetary gear set's carrier. Active Steering is able to speed up or slow down the steering ratio independent of steering effort (which is coordinated and controlled by the same ECU through the Servotronic power assist control valve)."
Attached Thumbnails What is "electric lock" associated with active steering?-hydraulic-steering-box.jpg  
Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks, that tells me alot. The locking device is a safety system to ensure a direct connection between steering wheel and steering gear in the event of an active steering malfunction. I suppose if the locking device is not behaving properly, the reverse is true and the computer shuts down active steering. My fist course of action will be to check the electrical connection at the locking device, once i locate it.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

Ok, found the problem. One of the two wires to the "electric lock" (located on top of active steering gearbox) is broken clean in half (right near connector). It is hard to see, getting to it is another story. Will probably pull alternator, remove motor mount nut and jack up engine to provide clearance. Ugh! But, at least a $0 repair. Well, I might as well have the alt rebuilt while I have it out.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by DavidF
Ok, found the problem.
Good for you Usually diagnosis is the difficult part. Glad you found the problem.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:50 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW 550i

great post! i had same problem electric lock electrical fault which appeared to be broken wires under o/s arch splash guard.
Attached Thumbnails What is "electric lock" associated with active steering?-2012-04-28-114.jpg