E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with the different steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The sports steering wheel on the e60 is also smaller in it's diameter and I have no problems adjusting it so I can see everything.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:50 AM
JDN
Contributors

Right on about the diameter, Iceman. The smaller diameter complements AS very well. That adjusting for the instruments is probably an individual thing depending on comfortable seat adjustment and different physiques.

My main problem is keeping the right turn signal in view. I don't always hear them and am frequently checking to make sure I'm not sending the wrong message. One of the things I like about Lincoln is that the turn signals get louder and louder to the point that they eventually over ride loud music, conversation, V1, wind noise, CB radio, etc.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

JDN, you would have had a smaller diameter wheel on the E39 from 1999 on up. I found that it did impede the view of the instruments a bit but I got used to it over time. Because I got used to it on my '01 E39, it wasn't that hard to adjust to the E60. (As a side note, I'm really happy I got the heater back. The '01 E39 sport wheel didn't have it.)

Your turn signal problem is sort of a catch 22 for you. I remember from anther post that you suffer some type of reduced hearing (maybe resulting from your gun hobby?). The E60 sport wheel really does cut out the turn signal indicators so that, coupled with a reduced ability to hear, really must be a problem. Maybe another wishlist for the HUD?
Old 07-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 4 2004, 06:25 PM
Maybe another wishlist for the HUD?
Allthough I don't have any problems seeing the indicators with my adjustment, I agrre with you Rudy, that this is definately something on the HUD wishlist. Because I'm looking down very often on the indicators...
Old 07-04-2004, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

My number one HUD wish is the gear indicator.

There is limited real estate available in the HUD so if they can fit the gears and the turn signals, great. If they can only fit one of those, I vote gears!

I've heard people request the tach there too -- that would rank 3rd on the list I guess. Maybe just some shift lights like racecars have on the steering wheel?
Old 07-04-2004, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

I see the point of the gear indicator, espacially on SMG cars. Mine is Auto, so I don't miss it there, but I really wouldn't mind having it, though.
The tach... hhhmmmm... I think the speed is all we need up there...

Hey, what about TV ?

JUST KIDDING !!!
Old 07-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

I think the Steptronic people who like to use the manual mode would like the gears displayed as well.

Hint, hint: If BMW thinks this addition would only benefit SMG cars, they'll never spend the resources to update the software since we're the minority -- if less than half of the Steptronic owners asked for this feature, I'm sure that would carry some weight!
Old 07-04-2004, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

I will ask about it the next time. And I wouldn't mind having the gears displayed when using the steptronic.
The only problem for BMW will be, where to put it... But again... BMW's problem
Old 07-04-2004, 09:47 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 4 2004, 11:25 AM
JDN, you would have had a smaller diameter wheel on the E39 from 1999 on up. I found that it did impede the view of the instruments a bit but I got used to it over time. Because I got used to it on my '01 E39, it wasn't that hard to adjust to the E60. (As a side note, I'm really happy I got the heater back. The '01 E39 sport wheel didn't have it.)

Your turn signal problem is sort of a catch 22 for you. I remember from anther post that you suffer some type of reduced hearing (maybe resulting from your gun hobby?). The E60 sport wheel really does cut out the turn signal indicators so that, coupled with a reduced ability to hear, really must be a problem. Maybe another wishlist for the HUD?
Damaged before the shooting hobby - twin fifties in WWII with nothing but vaseline and cotton for protection. I actually double plug for shooting now with molded plugs underneath the 29 db Peltors. I hear normal conversation fine, but tinitus interferes w high frequencies (above 4K).

I would save the HUD space for gears. I am always trying to flip one gear higher. 'Course I did that sometimes with the stick, too. The high torque in 6th is misleading to the seat of the pants at times. That Lincoln trick is what we oldsters need for turn signals.

You know the biggest decision a lot of retirees have to make every day is which turn signal to run all day.

Old 07-04-2004, 09:52 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jul 4 2004, 12:28 PM
I see the point of the gear indicator, espacially on SMG cars. Mine is Auto, so I don't miss it there, but I really wouldn't mind having it, though.
The tach... hhhmmmm... I think the speed is all we need up there...

Hey, what about TV ?

JUST KIDDING !!!
I think when you go to Sport, tach would be great. At that point, who needs NAV.

The best of all worlds would be to have HUD programmable as the stalk was on the E39 (As it was on the '97, at least, Rudy). There are several things I would like to see there, but as the point was made, space is limited, so let us choose. Some days, there is nothing in HUD but the speedo.

Quick Reply: What's up with the different steering wheel