E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

welcome lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 06:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default welcome lights

hi could any tell how much it would be to have the face lift lci lighting module put on my car so i can have the the lights come on when unlocking the doors so reaaly want this done to my 06 plate 5 series thankz : just that iv been told by a local garage that id be lookin at round about £400
Old 11-27-2012, 02:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Hi

Have you ckecked in your I-drive menu ? ( Car settings > lighting > Welcomelight ) that you not already have it ? , only functionning with lightswitch in "auto" ( one click to the left from 12 o'clock position )

Elsway it is depending on the prod. date in 2006 your car have , it should be possible to code this function to your car , after 03-2006 it is normaly with LMA2 , and then a coding issue.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 AM
New Members

There is no option (or codeable option) on the pre-LCI cars for welcome lights.

You can however code something called Homelights (also referred to Pathway lighting) to work via the remote key. You have to change 2 parameters in the LMA module & one parameter in the CAS module. You the. Can press briefly on the remote boot release button on the key fob to activate the Homelights. To see what lights come on with this feature just briefly flash the headlight stalk (without the key in the ignition). The lights that come on can be changed with further coding changes.

Another option is to fit an E-Light module, it adds further programming options, including welcome lights. See here for more options:

BMW 5er E60/E61
Old 11-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Members

hi ben looked in idrive no welcome lights r showing up when in auto position do u rekon the guys at the gargae r right in when they said in the lma2 module for the car and then coding just that they'v said id be looking at £400 for them to do it does that sound rnd about right price ben thankz for your replie mate
Old 11-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Actually it's wrong ... as member BenAnd mentioned up above ... in late 2006 BMW started to integrate LM2 getting ready for the full LCI the following year so like my pre-LCI car (build date 10/'06) after a simple coding I can turn on stuff like Welcome Light (among others) on my iDrive but since the headlight was not LCI just yet before they didn't lit up exactly like LCI ... again w/ simple coding I can choose & select to use other light up front or rear.

Having LM2 already in my pre-LCI doing full conversion into full LCI head/tail light a very simple task for me after that.

Originally Posted by rebel.ranter

You can however code something called Homelights (also referred to Pathway lighting) to work via the remote key. You have to change 2 parameters in the LMA module & one parameter in the CAS module. You the. Can press briefly on the remote boot release button on the key fob to activate the Homelights. To see what lights come on with this feature just briefly flash the headlight stalk (without the key in the ignition). The lights that come on can be changed with further coding changes.

Another option is to fit an E-Light module, it adds further programming options, including welcome lights. See here for more options:

BMW 5er E60/E61
Old 11-28-2012, 06:46 AM
New Members

Most pre-LCI cars do not have the LMA2 module, you are correct that the last of the pre-LCI cars had an LMA2 module but definitely not the OPs 06 plate model. In the UK an "06 plate" runs from September 2005 to March 2006. That is why I said that as it is valid for this original poster's case.
I have looked through a few pre-LCI fsw_psw.trc trace files with forensic detail specifically looking for the welcome light feature parameters, they are not there (as they were coincidentally all 2006 models).

However the of the post is quite valid for anyone looking for some alternatives to OEM Welcome Light features.

Last edited by rebel.ranter; 11-28-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

In respond to your post below you were being general on pre-LCI cars not specific to the OP ... 'cuz my pre-LCI came w/ LM2.

That's why I said wrong ... and now you are talking about the build date ... which what member BenAnd exactly said up above and also what I said ... so even pre-LCI depending on their build date came w/ LM2.

I have no doubt 'bout the alternatives ... plenty of options out there ... even a simple hardwired self built too.

[...]

Last edited by BlaSTiWi; 11-28-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Hi

A price of 200£ for a new LMA2 incl. coding on your car is a very good price :-) , here in Denmark it would cost's about 300-350£ by BMW. ( if they will do it at all )

I can tell that my 12/2003 525iA came with welcome light , but it had Xenon and AHL from factory so thats way also the welcome light.

I haven't tried to add the FSW_PSW parameters for welcome light's to a LMA1 , in order to see if that would work , but it could perhaps be possible , I don't know.

Regarding the discusion on prod. date's let me say , for all most for every 3 months there is alterings to the electronic moduls ( and codings ) on the E60/61 , the "biggest" at 03/2005 , 09/2005 ( only KGM modul instead of SGM ,MPM & KBM modul's ) 09/2006 and then the LCI at 03/2007 ( facelift )

So it can be a "nightmare" to code on these cars , becourse one must know the excatly prod. date in order to be able to tell witch specifik alterings it is possible to make/code , or witch retro fittede parts that can be code to the car.

Regards
BenAnd
Old 11-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Members

hi rebel thankz for your reply just a quick up date about the welcome lights .I went to a local bmw speaclist today and enquired about the lma 2 module for the welcome lights basicly they said its not possible to retro fit the module to my 06 plate 5 series which is 03/06 which is 1 of the earlier 1s ? is this correct just that i got told if i bought the module straight from a bmw garage and retro fitted it to my car and with abit of coding it would be possible hope you can help me out gettin stressed because im gettin different answears thankz again mark
Old 11-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Most pre-LCI cars do not have the LMA2 module, you are correct that the last of the pre-LCI cars had an LMA2 module but definitely not the OPs 06 plate model. In the UK an "06 plate" runs from September 2005 to March 2006. That is why I said that as it is valid for this original poster's case.
I think you mean and 06 plate is from March 06 to Sep 06. Either way I agree an 06 plate won't have an LM2.

I put an LM2 in the car for £30. That was the price I paid for the LM2, coded it myself.

Quick Reply: welcome lights