E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Weirdest Thing Happened... Car Went Dead While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:02 PM
hks
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 550i Sport

On my way to the gym i was overtaking a car and while doing this the car went dead. I had to put on my indicator and it crawled while i pulled on the side shoulder. I restarted and went about my business. Later on i left and i was doing around 110 on the highway and the car went Dead and i had to make it roll to the side. I realized all lights on the dash came up the both times and this is very dangerous. Oh yeah, i forgot to mention that i went out in the parking lot the morning and saw only the left brake/park(which ever one) on. I thought maybe it was the sun shining on it but i took a closer look and it wasnt. I started the car,pressed the brake, switched it off and everything was ok. Im not sure if this is related to what im experiencing but do you think im having some kind of computer glitch or something?
Old 01-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by hks
On my way to the gym i was overtaking a car and while doing this the car went dead. I had to put on my indicator and it crawled while i pulled on the side shoulder. I restarted and went about my business. Later on i left and i was doing around 110 on the highway and the car went Dead and i had to make it roll to the side. I realized all lights on the dash came up the both times and this is very dangerous. Oh yeah, i forgot to mention that i went out in the parking lot the morning and saw only the left brake/park(which ever one) on. I thought maybe it was the sun shining on it but i took a closer look and it wasnt. I started the car,pressed the brake, switched it off and everything was ok. Im not sure if this is related to what im experiencing but do you think im having some kind of computer glitch or something?

I think you should tell us what you have first
Old 01-10-2012, 04:09 PM
hks
Members

sorry its a 2006 550i
Old 01-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

aside from the fact you shouldn't be hitting 110 on the way home from the gym, I'd say it's time to check your battery.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:15 PM
hks
Members

out here the speed limit on the highway is 110. btw i thought once the car is started a dead battery cant cause vehicles with gearbox to shut off?
Old 01-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by hks
out here the speed limit on the highway is 110. btw i thought once the car is started a dead battery cant cause vehicles with gearbox to shut off?
You thought wrong, once voltage drops below about 9.5 volts the computer cannot operate. But unless your car has a slow cranking problem after dying I don't think that is your problem.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:26 PM
hks
Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
You thought wrong, once voltage drops below about 9.5 volts the computer cannot operate. But unless your car has a slow cranking problem after dying I don't think that is your problem.
thanks much i will check it out tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by hks
Where do you live, Nurburgring?

--Be careful though seriously, and hopefully it's just your battery, nothing more serious or expensive!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:06 PM
hks
Members

nah actually in the caribbean...not 110mph, i meant kilo
Old 01-11-2012, 05:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

you may have a bad alternator or loose accessory belt, not supplying enough charging voltage during operation. Otherwise, the alternator should keep the car operating normally when the engine is running.

Also, on your second question about the parking lights: You must have bumped the turn signal lever upon getting out after the car is shut off. This sets the European marker light function--one side illumated only. Up on the lever sets the right side lights, down sets the left side. This is supposed to make your car visible when parked on darkened streets.

Quick Reply: Weirdest Thing Happened... Car Went Dead While Driving