E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Weird start up last night

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Last night, after the car has been stationary for about a 24-hour period, I started it and here's what happened. First, I started the car and the revs went up to about a 1000rpm (which is normal at start up), but instead of steadily dropping to 600, like it always does, the revs just "jumped around" erratically between 700 and 1100 rpm and then they dropped below 500 and the engine stalled Restarted. The idle, again, did not drop to ~600rpm the way it always does. Instead, the idle hovered around 1000-1200rpm and the engine fan came on, running hard and loud. I got out of the car, trying to see under the hood - maybe something stuck in the intake or smth. Everything looked tip top. The fan blasting and erratic idle continued for a few minutes, so I shut the engine off and restarted again. No problems since.

I have no idea what this can be. I had the spark plugs replaced about 2.5 months ago and oil was changed at that time as well. I've got an RPI scoop and a BMC filter, but I doubt that those can cause this. Where should I be looking for the root of this problem?
Old 04-29-2010, 03:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Last night, after the car has been stationary for about a 24-hour period, I started it and here's what happened. First, I started the car and the revs went up to about a 1000rpm (which is normal at start up), but instead of steadily dropping to 600, like it always does, the revs just "jumped around" erratically between 700 and 1100 rpm and then they dropped below 500 and the engine stalled Restarted. The idle, again, did not drop to ~600rpm the way it always does. Instead, the idle hovered around 1000-1200rpm and the engine fan came on, running hard and loud. I got out of the car, trying to see under the hood - maybe something stuck in the intake or smth. Everything looked tip top. The fan blasting and erratic idle continued for a few minutes, so I shut the engine off and restarted again. No problems since.

I have no idea what this can be. I had the spark plugs replaced about 2.5 months ago and oil was changed at that time as well. I've got an RPI scoop and a BMC filter, but I doubt that those can cause this. Where should I be looking for the root of this problem?
Sounds like it could be a dirty Mass Air Flow sensor. You should check this to see if there is any buildup. If there is, I believe these can be cleaned with electric contact cleaner or 99% alcohol. Don't quote me though, maybe others can chime in.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NYC530XI
Sounds like it could be a dirty Mass Air Flow sensor. You should check this to see if there is any buildup. If there is, I believe these can be cleaned with electric contact cleaner or 99% alcohol. Don't quote me though, maybe others can chime in.
Great place to start! I didn't even think to look at that

I'll try to check that out today, if I have time. Anyone have any tips where to get the MAF cleaner/what to use?
I remember reading about CDC-something - like a aerosol can that cleans the MAF - is that just compressed air?

Keep suggestions flowing though, everybody - all info is very much appreciated
Old 04-29-2010, 04:21 AM
Members

Sounds like a problem I had on a previous car of mine. MAF was filthy, so I went to Autozone and picked up a can of MAF cleaner. It's an aerosol can, that says MAF Cleaner on the front. Just spray in on, it evaporates fairly quickly. Put everything back together, and you should be back in business.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

i dont know i may be way off key here, but my car did the exact same thing occassionally.. once i shut it off, it was gone.. what happened eventually was the check engine light came on.. i had it checked out and its my number 7 cylinder misfiring.. needless to say i bought a new ignition coil and im going to put that in.. its only a $40 part.. when i do it ill let you know how it went.. lol
Old 04-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Contributors

I just recently had the spark plugs replaced and oil changed (about 2.5 mos ago) - the place told me that my coils are good. I'll do the MAF cleaning and see if anything comes up.

Question for the N52 ticking noise "veterans": who knows if this could be somehow related to the N52 ticking issue?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Contributors

Where is the MAF and what does it look like? I'm going to try this tomorrow, too, just to clean it in case.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

Originally Posted by Howitzer
Where is the MAF and what does it look like? I'm going to try this tomorrow, too, just to clean it in case.
+1 I think I'll do this as well
Old 04-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Contributors

Here're best DIYs I could find so far:

MAF DIY

Another one
Old 04-30-2010, 05:58 AM
Contributors

Nice, thank you! So, I need a can of electronic parts spray cleaner and a torx wrench and BOOM! Done. This will be my after-work project.

I'm going to buy this shit from Autozone for $5.99:
Attached Thumbnails Weird start up last night-8.jpg  

Quick Reply: Weird start up last night