E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Weird noise in engine bay ... whir whir whir intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Im also thinking secondary air, or possible power steering pump. Use INPA, if you have it, and run the secondary air pump with the engine off to eliminate that variable
Old 08-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Members

Had the car in for brakes today. My mechanic said that when he pulls the small hose off the nipple on the PCV valve, the noise went away. He had to get another customers car finished before the end of the day, so didn't have much time to play around and diagnose any further. He's a little baffled - said the small hose leads back to the throttle body but doesn't seem to be under vacuum...when he pulls the hose off the PCV valves nipple.. the noise goes away. Told him I'd post here and see if I could get some suggestions for him to check in to when he has the car a for overnight. Fun stuff!
Old 08-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Members

Hey advancedlogic - could you tell me how can I get INPA and what's needed to run it? I have hardware a plenty and no fear of technology.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Members

on the pcv valves, there are nipples... on the new replacement pcv valves, they lack the nipple and I've read to just cap the hose and use the new pcv valve. What is the net effect of doing this? My thoughts are, it was designed with it, why discard it? I don't understand enough about it to say much.. could someone explain their function and what if any drawback there is to capping the hose? As I noted above, the weird noise goes away when the hose is pulled. But that makes me think something else is wrong leading to the noise to go away when the hose is removed....

Last edited by sotek; 08-13-2013 at 02:50 PM.