E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

weird freeway experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 11:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...i was driving down the freeway on a nice northern california night, (hwy 880 near milpitas for the local folks), when i thought what was a light drizzle came down. i was a little dissapointed, since i just had my car washed, but no big deal.

i proceeded to drive down a couple of miles, then wondered why the water beads on my windshield were not slidiing off, since i was driving about 70-80mph.

so i turned on the wipers- and the glass just streaked. i turned on the washer- and it turned into smudge.

i finally reached home, jumped out of my car and checked out what the hell was going on.
all over my car, seems some sort of fine mist of oil (or grease?) is clinging everywhere. glass, body, even the wheels had some.
nice.

so instead of having a cold one on a friday night, i spent about two hours cleaning the gunk off my car.
what the???
Old 11-19-2005, 12:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i R6 SMG M-Sport; Silver Gray & Gray Dakota; Comfort Seats; L7; Adaptive Xenons; Advanced A/C; BlueTooth

Originally Posted by daydok' post='200485' date='Nov 19 2005, 09:53 AM
...i was driving down the freeway on a nice northern california night, (hwy 880 near milpitas for the local folks), when i thought what was a light drizzle came down. i was a little dissapointed, since i just had my car washed, but no big deal.

i proceeded to drive down a couple of miles, then wondered why the water beads on my windshield were not slidiing off, since i was driving about 70-80mph.

so i turned on the wipers- and the glass just streaked. i turned on the washer- and it turned into smudge.

i finally reached home, jumped out of my car and checked out what the hell was going on.
all over my car, seems some sort of fine mist of oil (or grease?) is clinging everywhere. glass, body, even the wheels had some.
nice.

so instead of having a cold one on a friday night, i spent about two hours cleaning the gunk off my car.
what the???
Most probably fine oil spray from the exaust of some car in terrible condition you've been driving behind for some time. Happend to me once. Guy in front step on accelerator and instantly I was coverd with small dots which couldn't be wiped off.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:54 AM
Senior Members

Murphy's Law!

Like when you've just washed your car & someone in front of you sprays his misaligned windscreen washer jets all over your car!

Or you drive on a road where there is a burst water pipe!

etc...
Old 11-19-2005, 07:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Do you have cars with 2-stroke engines in the US?
Old 11-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

Or a clear example of pollution in CA... Sorry to hear that.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by BMW#5' post='200498

nice.

what the???
I am sorry about that very nasty experience. I wonder if the road was freshly "oiled." What a mess that makes. My wife and I have agreed that if going somewhere and bump into an oiled road, then we are turning around and finding an alterantive route or going home.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Were you near the New United Motors plant? Perhaps something from there?
Old 11-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Senior Members

That happened to me a couple of weeks ago . I just finished cleaning my car to go to a party. I was following this mini truck with all kinds of lawn mower equipment on the flat bed and all of a sudden it started sprinkling some kind of liquid all over my car. At first I thought it was water and didn't think anything of it. After a while it didn't evaporate like it should and I knew it was something else. When I got home I started wiping the sprinkles off and it was some kind of oily substance. I had to wash my car again that day
Old 11-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Contributors

Most probably fine oil spray from the exaust of some car in terrible condition you've been driving behind for some time.
I thought of that, but it was all over the car the car, not just the front. Good point, though.

Murphy's Law!
Ain't that the truth!

Do you have cars with 2-stroke engines in the US?
Might as well, huh?

Or a clear example of pollution in CA... Sorry to hear that.
Thanks. With a governor that drives a HUMMER...

I am sorry about that very nasty experience. I wonder if the road was freshly "oiled."
I did not know roads were oiled... why are they oiled for?

Were you near the New United Motors plant? Perhaps something from there?
You know - I was near that area... hmmmm... is that plant still working?

That happened to me a couple of weeks ago
I feel your pain, brother!

Thanks for letting me vent,
Daydok
Old 11-19-2005, 08:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by daydok' post='200485' date='Nov 19 2005, 12:53 AM

nice.

what the???

Sounds like you got caught in an overnight pesticide spray operation of some sort, most likely for some type of fruit fly or something.

Quick Reply: weird freeway experience