E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Weird find in the glove box...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i, Sport Package, Premium Package, Navigation.

I was just cleaning out my glove box in my '06 E60. In the far back there was what looked like another car key sitting in a holder. I pulled it out and sure enough it looked like a key but was just a shell without buttons. It has two metal contacts on either side and although it appears to be of the same dimension as the key, it will not fit in the ignition slot. Anyone ever see this in their car? If so, can anyone tell me what it is?
Old 04-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Black/Black, Premium, Steptronic, 28%tint

This is your emergency spare. It stays in the glovebox. You have to insert the black plastic looking key into the emergency spare fob for it to work. It's pretty inteligent.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by justinnum1' post='266167' date='Apr 7 2006, 06:25 PM
This is your emergency spare. It stays in the glovebox. You have to insert the black plastic looking key into the emergency spare fob for it to work. It's pretty inteligent.
I don't understand..... emergency spare for what??? of what???
perhaps any pictures? does all E60 have it eversince???? or just the latest models?
I doubt I have since I went thru my glovebox a lot
Old 04-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i, Sport Package, Premium Package, Navigation.

Originally Posted by justinnum1' post='266167' date='Apr 7 2006, 03:25 PM
That is pretty intelligent. When you say black plactic looking key, what do you mean?
Old 04-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Members

When you buy the car at the dealer they give you a total of 3 keys. 2 fobs and a black plastic key. The 2 fobs have a metal key in it that can be taken out with a button on the fob. These 2 fobs can also act as keys for the valet, where you can lock the golve box and trunk with the metal key form the fob. The dealer also give you a black thin plastic key(looks like a real key) this key can be use to open doors. This is you emergency key. The fob in the glove box is also your emergency key. You must insert the plastic looking key into the fob from the glovebox for it to start the car.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Touring, M Sport, build date 10/05, Silver Grey, Black leather, Maple Anthracite, Anthracite roof lining, panorama roof, M Aerodynamic, M Steering wheel, M Sport suspension, sport seats, shadow line, 135 M wheels, Goodyear NCT 5 runflats, and some other stuff too.

Originally Posted by justinnum1' post='266167' date='Apr 7 2006, 06:25 PM
Huh. The emergency key is a small black plastic one that stays in your wallet. Not the glovebox, what would be the point of that.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Members

That is true if you have a car without push button start. But if you have a push button start car then they keep a reserve fob in the glovebox.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by justinnum1' post='266173' date='Apr 7 2006, 06:32 PM
When you buy the car at the dealer they give you a total of 3 keys. 2 fobs and a black plastic key. The 2 fobs have a metal key in it that can be taken out with a button on the fob. These 2 fobs can also act as keys for the valet, where you can lock the golve box and trunk with the metal key form the fob. The dealer also give you a black thin plastic key(looks like a real key) this key can be use to open doors. This is you emergency key. The fob in the glove box is also your emergency key. You must insert the plastic looking key into the fob from the glovebox for it to start the car.
so it is obviously only for the cars with the start button !!!
Old 04-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530xi

Your client advisor never told you about this emergency fob/key?
Old 04-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Members

I didnt know about this either. Ill have to check it out and try it.

Quick Reply: Weird find in the glove box...