E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Weeping car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Okay, I had the weirdest experience today. I was driving my daughter off to school this morning and within few minutes of driving I noticed two large drops of water trickle down from one of the corners of the centre rear view mirror . Okay it was raining heavly overnight and was drizzling as we drove off, but I never expected anything like that. My first instinct was perhaps the seal around the windshield/windscreen was the culprit, but no, I checked and rechecked but couldn't find any fault with the seal (I even used a pressure washer to test that area later on, but could not see any water leaking in). Also the weirdest thing is that at the moment it happend, I stopped the car and felt all the way round the rear view mirror and the headliner, but could not feel or see any dampness.

I don't have a sunroof, the temperature outside was around 10 degree Celsius so it can't be condensation and no I was not imagining it as my daugther saw that too (in fact it was her who shouted out - Dad your car is leaking - embarrassing or what )

I intend to take it to the local garage to get it checked out, but has anyone experienced anything similar?
Old 05-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by BizyB' post='582051' date='May 16 2008, 12:55 PM
Okay, I had the weirdest experience today. I was driving my daughter off to school this morning and within few minutes of driving I noticed two large drops of water trickle down from one of the corners of the centre rear view mirror . Okay it was raining heavly overnight and was drizzling as we drove off, but I never expected anything like that. My first instinct was perhaps the seal around the windshield/windscreen was the culprit, but no, I checked and rechecked but couldn't find any fault with the seal (I even used a pressure washer to test that area later on, but could not see any water leaking in). Also the weirdest thing is that at the moment it happend, I stopped the car and felt all the way round the rear view mirror and the headliner, but could not feel or see any dampness.

I don't have a sunroof, the temperature outside was around 10 degree Celsius so it can't be condensation and no I was not imagining it as my daugther saw that too (in fact it was her who shouted out - Dad your car is leaking - embarrassing or what )

I intend to take it to the local garage to get it checked out, but has anyone experienced anything similar?
I still think the seal is the issue. Water could enter anywhere along the top of the wind screen and migrate to the point where it entered the cabin. A more remote possibility is a bad weld somewhere. While I doubt it given the location, on my wife's X5, she had a significant leak in the tailgate area. Dealer determined that it was a bad weld. A couple of days at the body shop and the weld was repaired. Fortunately it was inside the tailgate area, so not something visible which would have required repainting... Good luck!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Not me and I have a sunroof.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

..............sounds like the residual after a large sneeze................ Cheers
Old 05-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Contributors

Wow ... that's pretty scary! My '07 is parked outside and during the past 3 weeks we've had some very heavy rain. Thank goodness I've not had a similar experience.

Water leaks can be very challenging to track down. Contrary to popular opinion, water can flow uphill ... the wicking effect can be really amazing.

Some advanced shops use chemically treated water sprays to track and spot a source for entry.