E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ways to Suggest Features to BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does BMW listen to its customers if we wanted to suggest certain features?

There are a few things I would like to suggest for future cars and any software updates if they offer those.

Anyone know of the address (email or snail mail) where we can write with our suggestions (where somebody will actually listen to them)?

Things I would like:

1. iPod artist list in iDrive to allow you to select the first letter of the last name to narrow down the artist list (like you can do in the address book for your phone list),

2. Offering real-time traffic information on a map by default instead of through a list (offered in relation to the car's current location; you can do this now, but it takes multiple steps),

3. Display SMS messages through the iDrive for paired phones,

4. Allow an option to unlock automatic locking doors with a single handle pull (instead of the current two pulls).
Old 03-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by geekmedic' post='818419' date='Mar 16 2009, 03:53 PM

There are a few things I would like to suggest for future cars and any software updates if they offer those.

Anyone know of the address (email or snail mail) where we can write with our suggestions (where somebody will actually listen to them)?

Things I would like:

1. iPod artist list in iDrive to allow you to select the first letter of the last name to narrow down the artist list (like you can do in the address book for your phone list),

2. Offering real-time traffic information on a map by default instead of through a list (offered in relation to the car's current location; you can do this now, but it takes multiple steps),

4. Allow an option to unlock automatic locking doors with a single handle pull (instead of the current two pulls).
I really like your number 4. As for your question, many have tried and pretty much all have failed. BMW just won't listen to its customers; if they did, we wouldn't have Run Flats....
Old 03-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by geekmedic' post='818419' date='Mar 16 2009, 07:53 PM

Things I would like:

didn't the old communication system in the E39 have this feature? I remember I could read messages onthe screen or am I mistaken that with another make car. Either way, I think the communication system now on the E60 isn't as good as it was on my old E39s. I prefer pluging in a sim card into the car either via the boot unit or at the center console. Also the screen used to show a simple old cirular dial with numbers for me to dial out. So much easier to use than this pesky Idrive.

If you come to know any address we can write to, then let me know. i have a list I would love to mail BMW too although I must say, my list has halved ever since I read Chris Bungled has left the scene.

cheers
Old 03-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by geekmedic' post='818419
I really like your number 4. As for your question, many have tried and pretty much all have failed. BMW just won't listen to its customers; if they did, we wouldn't have Run Flats....
BMW DOES listen to its customers. More than you would think.
RFT's are great stuff, BTW.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='818728' date='Mar 17 2009, 12:27 AM
2, you say it, can be done allready.
3 is possible, I see my SMS messages on the idrive screen.
4 is possible by selecting open all doors, instead of drivers door only. Thern one pull opens all doors, AFAIK.

BMW DOES listen to its customers. More than you would think.
RFT's are great stuff, BTW.
Really? I must have missed it. I have never seen one sms other than the navigation instructions I send from BMW CONNECTED to the car. I must say, I have missed the ability to send sms from the car while stationary of course. Will have to get back to the car manual to see if I am missing something here.

cheers

ps: I love runflats, just for the record. If wanted reall smooth luxury, I would go for merc. Raw driving passion is always with the BMW. Will never complain about harsh ride. My gripe would be, why can't I see a display of the tyre pressures that the system obviously is monitoring?? WHY??? BMW wake up! I want all that info at my finger tips.
If I was BMW, I would have created an extended computer screen on the idrive which lists all the car data from vital sensors like battery, oil temp, water temp, gearbox temp, boost (if applicable), tyre pressures, A/F ratio.

cheers
Old 03-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Members

"4. Allow an option to unlock automatic locking doors with a single handle pull (instead of the current two pulls)."

On my little Fiat Punto, if you lock the doors with the fob when the engine is running when you turn the engine off, the door locks automatically re open again
Old 03-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Members

iceman is in Germany. European car specs are different than U.S.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:53 AM
Contributors

good idea, could be a simple software upgrade. my alpine aftermarket head unit in my 99 maxima would display artists this way from the ipod, so it is not an ipod issue.

maybe this will be done sooner than we think. doesnt bmw plan to incorporate google maps. i would imagine the display would look similar to the iphone. this may not be a simple software solution though. so you may have to buy a 2010 or 2011 BMW for this.

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA and i have been an advocate for this for a long time, but you know how people feel about cell phones and cars. another distraction? see, people are idiots, and searching for songs with my ipod through i drive isnt any less distracting, however, this wont fly because it has become "taboo" to use cell phones with cars. there is rumor some states could even ban hands free devices because talking is distractive. thats right... it would be ilegal to use your BMW integrated hands free. i think this would be difficult to enforce.

this is an option in the settings i think.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:58 AM
Contributors

additionally i would like to see a nice idrive welcome message when you turn the car on. i know other companies will display the logo.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='819064' date='Mar 17 2009, 09:53 AM

good idea, could be a simple software upgrade. my alpine aftermarket head unit in my 99 maxima would display artists this way from the ipod, so it is not an ipod issue.

maybe this will be done sooner than we think. doesnt bmw plan to incorporate google maps. i would imagine the display would look similar to the iphone. this may not be a simple software solution though. so you may have to buy a 2010 or 2011 BMW for this.

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA and i have been an advocate for this for a long time, but you know how people feel about cell phones and cars. another distraction? see, people are idiots, and searching for songs with my ipod through i drive isnt any less distracting, however, this wont fly because it has become "taboo" to use cell phones with cars. there is rumor some states could even ban hands free devices because talking is distractive. thats right... it would be ilegal to use your BMW integrated hands free. i think this would be difficult to enforce.

this is an option in the settings i think.
Used to be there before on older cars. Heck even my previous lousy volvo could do it. For safety reasons though, it would not allow me to read or write while the car was on the move. So I see no reason why this feature has been withheld by BMW.

fact of the matter is, if anything is going to cause an accident due to a distraction, I would vote the Idrive useability as the highest. This system is an accident waiting to happen or maybe it already has and thats why BMW has come out with the newer version.

If BMW felt one could fiddle the Idrive whilst driving, then IMHO, BMW should by default allow us to read sms's in the car.

Guys I am not sure about you all but for me, I think opening the car doors while locked with one pull can be slightly dangerous if the car was still in motion. I really have no gripes with it cause I am so used to opening the car locks by pressing the button between the middle air vents.

It gives me enough control over how I want to lock and release the locks.

cheers

Quick Reply: Ways to Suggest Features to BMW?