E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wavy Rev Counter

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i
Default Wavy Rev Counter

ive been searching various forums for days and cannot find an answer. when driving a steady speed in the city my rev counter bounces. i noticed it isnt the motor doing it..I already ordered the parts to replace the trans pan and fluid but when i drained the fluid i got maybe 3 quarts..would low fluid cause the wavy rev counter or something else? i get no transmission errors and the check engine light is my secondary air pump flow error

here is a video of what she does

Old 07-21-2014, 05:47 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 01/04 545i - 19" Alloys

mine wasn't that bad, but mine turned out to be the Transmission oil and Torque Converter. I could feel the car jolting when it was doing that, almost like a gear change.

Low trans fluid would make this happen from what I've read, I pressume you followed the procedure to top up a ZF transmission? Its trickier than a standard trans. If you can't feel the jerking I'd probably say its one of the associated sensors though?

All the best, Matt
Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by ma_tty_d
mine wasn't that bad, but mine turned out to be the Transmission oil and Torque Converter. I could feel the car jolting when it was doing that, almost like a gear change.

Low trans fluid would make this happen from what I've read, I pressume you followed the procedure to top up a ZF transmission? Its trickier than a standard trans. If you can't feel the jerking I'd probably say its one of the associated sensors though?

All the best, Matt
i removed the transmission pan and when i drained the fluid i got right at 3 quarts out so im assuming it was low as most say they get 5-6 quarts out of it. im replacing the pan as i suspect it was leaking. car has an engine oil leak aswell so wasnt sure if trans was leaking or not initially..i just bought the car last week.. i ran diagnostics and i was not getting any trans related errors nor engine besides the secondary air pump first time ive ever seen a wavy rev counter on any vehicle besides when idling.. i hoping when i get my pan and refill it the way kyleB did it in his how to that it fixes that issue..right now im waiting on my new pan and trans fluid from theCTSC.com
Old 09-24-2014, 12:01 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530 xi wagon

All the best, Matt
Hi Matt
Did your car feel like the brakes were being slammed on?
Old 09-24-2014, 03:43 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Kainalu
Hi Matt
Did your car feel like the brakes were being slammed on?
Hey Mate,

Yeah just as I was coming to a stop and the transmission engaged first gear the car felt like it hit a brick wall!
Old 09-28-2014, 09:16 PM
New Members

Hey Mate,

Yeah just as I was coming to a stop and the transmission engaged first gear the car felt like it hit a brick wall!
Whoa, glad you got it figured out. My problem sounds different, not changing gears but feels like i'm slamming on the brakes.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:03 PM
New Members

That sounds like a slipping torque converter! The transmission is slipping and throwing it up a gear quickly to avoid damage. Change the trans oil and it'll hopefully make it better
Old 09-29-2014, 12:06 PM
New Members

That sounds like a slipping torque converter! The transmission is slipping and throwing it up a gear quickly to avoid damage. Change the trans oil and it'll hopefully make it better
It usually happens from 3rd gear and up. The gears don't change, RPM's drop about 2000 revs in about half a second then right back up. I think it may be electrical and a product of the passenger airbag failure warning. Mechanics don't think it's transmission related...
Old 09-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

looks like your torque converter is not locking.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:34 PM
New Members

My Ride: 5 SERIES

would bad ignition coils ignite this irregular rpm problem?

Quick Reply: Wavy Rev Counter