E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Water drain maintenancea

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

Hi Folks,

A common problem on the e60 platform seem to be water ingress due to clogged e-box and/or sunroof drains. Based on my understanding of what I have read, the e-box drain problem results in water on the passenger side floor and the sunroof drain leads to water in the trunk.

I've seen a lot of mention of the problem but not much on maintenance.

My questions...
  • Are these the only to drain issues (sunroof I'm assuming two and ebox one)? Are there any other drains that are problematic
  • I
s there any guide/post online with pictures of the drains, what to clean and how to best clean them?

I've done some searching on the forums and via google but I'm not coming up with what I'm looking for.

I'd like to start doing yearly maintenance (drain cleaning) to avoid future issues caused by drain blockages.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ssmokn
I'd like to start doing yearly maintenance (drain cleaning) to avoid future issues caused by drain blockages.

Thanks!
Best maintaince is keeping the car clean, and keeping the areas around the sunroof clean. Not parking under dirty trees. and letting rain water wash under and into the sunroof.

Good spray with water helps knock things loose and keep the drains cleaner... No real procedure to cleaning the drains. Just precautions to keeping them cleaned out.

Goodluck
Old 04-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by jedduh01
Best maintaince is keeping the car clean, and keeping the areas around the sunroof clean. Not parking under dirty trees. and letting rain water wash under and into the sunroof.

Good spray with water helps knock things loose and keep the drains cleaner... No real procedure to cleaning the drains. Just precautions to keeping them cleaned out.

Goodluck
Hmmm... ok... a good spray of water may just clog the drains further and do exactly what you don't want it to... flood your car. Ask me how I know. If you bought your car new and garage it you are pretty safe. If you bought your car used like I did, you really have no idea how clogged up the drains may be already, like in my case. I garage my car and still had this happen:My $15k in flood damage from clogged drains... It took a couple days of rain for me to notice that the passenger compartment was flooded. The musty smell tipped me off, and then the Christmas tree of lights and errors started popping up.

The only drain(s) I can tell you about are not as easy as blowing a bit of air or water on them... I would recommend you clean two areas real well, and don't think it will take annual or biannual cleanings. Remove your passenger side micro cabin filter and box, the remove the ebox under it. You will see a hole and a tube which need to be cleaned. You are not done yet... you must also remove your passenger side front wheel, and wheel well shield. Once you do this you will have access to the drain flapper which in my case was completely plugged up with a muddy leafy clump of crap... water would not drain though and as a result backed up destroying the ebox and flooded the passenger compartment of my car. All the modules and sensors along with the carpet, padding and main wiring harness had to be replaced. Here is what the flapper looks like:

And the crap that came out:

Sorry I cant help you out with the sunroof drains... good luck.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jaycal3
Hmmm... ok... a good spray of water may just clog the drains further and do exactly what you don't want it to... flood your car. Ask me how I know. If you bought your car new and garage it you are pretty safe. If you bought your car used like I did, you really have no idea how clogged up the drains may be already, like in my case. I garage my car and still had this happen:My $15k in flood damage from clogged drains... It took a couple days of rain for me to notice that the passenger compartment was flooded. The musty smell tipped me off, and then the Christmas tree of lights and errors started popping up.

And the crap that came out:

Sorry I cant help you out with the sunroof drains... good luck.
Is it just me or did you have a liquid metal T-1000 Terminator living in your front drain???
Old 04-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

jaycal3 - Thanks. Your original post is one of the ones that got me thinking about this. I'm good on the e-box drain now. Just need to figure out the sunroof drain(s). I'll have to see if my Bentley manual has any info. on them.

Can't hurt to check/clean them once in a great while.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i Silver - E60

Couldn't find the instruction on how to remove the passenger seat.....
Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Like any others, it just bolts down... take the caps off the rails that hold it to the floor, locate the bolts and unscrew....

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/20/27
Old 04-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Contributors

+1 to any info anyone can provide on directions to cleaning out Sunroof drains. I know I have something clogged somewhere...