E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Water build up

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:25 AM
AJH
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Just something I noticed while removing the plastic housing underneath the o/s pollen filter.

There is a void underneath the brake servo with drain holes to prevent water building up. The drain holes had become blocked with leaves and there was a good 2 litres of water in there. I unblocked the holes with a few cable ties and the water drained away. I didn't check the other side of the car where there seems to be lots of expensive looking electronic control units . There must be other people out there with the same issue.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AJH
Hi,

Just something I noticed while removing the plastic housing underneath the o/s pollen filter.

There is a void underneath the brake servo with drain holes to prevent water building up. The drain holes had become blocked with leaves and there was a good 2 litres of water in there. I unblocked the holes with a few cable ties and the water drained away. I didn't check the other side of the car where there seems to be lots of expensive looking electronic control units . There must be other people out there with the same issue.

Thanks
Good idea ... I use an air compressor to blow leaves and other debris that collects around the under-hood microfilter holders. Now ya got me wondering what junk lurks under them??

THX for the heads-up!
Old 02-05-2011, 10:45 AM
AJH
Members

The drain hole for the plastic tray, underneath the pollen filter was also completely blocked with organic matter. It's located on the outer edge of the tray exiting into the wheel arch area.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Just had a flooded interior passenger compartment as a result of what you just explained... almost $7,000 in damage (thankfully USAA insurance is awesome!) The only way to access the drains completely is through the wheel well... if it backs up it will eventually empty into the passenger side of the car and there is at least 2 modules in the ebox above the drains on the passenger side under the cabin filter and one major module in the passenger floor which controls active steering, transmission etc...

Here is My link...

Clear them and all the other storm drains... I have my car back now but it took almost a month at BMW and a lot of hassle to get it all right!
Old 02-05-2011, 03:03 PM
AJH
Members

Originally Posted by jaycal3
Just had a flooded interior passenger compartment as a result of what you just explained... almost $7,000 in damage (thankfully USAA insurance is awesome!) The only way to access the drains completely is through the wheel well... if it backs up it will eventually empty into the passenger side of the car and there is at least 2 modules in the ebox above the drains on the passenger side under the cabin filter and one major module in the passenger floor which controls active steering, transmission etc...

Here is My link...

Clear them and all the other storm drains... I have my car back now but it took almost a month at BMW and a lot of hassle to get it all right!
I'd noticed various rubber bungs with cables routed through them leading into the cabin area. I thought the watermust be able to get inside via these rubber bungs.
The windscreen picks up the leaves and is washed down into these areas by the rain. Mine were completely blocked. Best check the other side!!
Old 02-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d -08 lots of goodies 120dA -06

This is a fairly common issue so a check once and a while is not out of order, im guessing that those who have their cars parked outside should check it a bit more often.