E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Water in 535d M Sport Battery compartment

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I have a 2 month old 535d, which started playing up with a message like: "Excessive battery discharge". This caused all trip, consumption, miles travelled etc to be reset at evrry start up. This then developed into a problem where when putting key in slot and pressing the start button nothing happened except the message: "Brake light actuator failure". after 2-3 hours the car then started as normal. Next day the car alarm went off and none of the keys could open the car remotely or silence the alarm. Once I entered the car using the manual key entry and put the key into the slot the display had a yellow bar flashing inermittantly across the small display behind the steering wheel and again no start up when pressing the start button. BMW took car away and found water in the battery compartment to within 1" of the top of the battery, couldn't get car out of park or get the steering lock off. It's 2 days now and the car is still in the garage!
BMW say needs new controller and coding then they'll see what other damage has happened.
Anybody had similar issue?

Other than all this the 535 is a superb machine...
Old 05-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Welcome the the Forum ld85889, sad that your first posts are such.

How did the wather get in to the trunk????
Old 05-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Members

BMW say that the water came in through a faulty seal under the car.....Not convinced....!
Old 05-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Faulty seal under the car?
Something isn't right here.

It's a disaster when wather breakes in to the electrical system. :thumbsdown:

Have the dealer explain how the wather can and could get in there and in detail.

I would contact BMWUS, this is such a serious matter.

PS. Let them explain from what missing seal the wather came in from.
The link!
Old 05-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

This happened to my 525d aswell. Water got in somehow and car would not start the next morning.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60525d' post='287697' date='May 25 2006, 10:51 PM
This happened to my 525d aswell. Water got in somehow and car would not start the next morning.

What did you do about it?

Dealers explanations?
Old 05-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

They said it was the seals aswell. They replaced it all and has not happened since.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by ld85889' post='287648' date='May 25 2006, 12:50 PM
Anybody had similar issue?

Other than all this the 535 is a superb machine...
Not had the problem you describe - hope you get it fixed soon.

Welcome to the forum and hope you get your mean machine sorted soon.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Members

Arrow

Short update.... BMW had to get the car lifted by crane off my drive as it is stuck in park and the steering lock is permanently on. The dealer still hasn't got the parts yet. They have given me a loan car which was arranged through Enterprise Car rental. I picked the car up an it was a filthy dirty Ford Mondeo. It looked like it had been used to transport building materials to a building site. I refused it but it was the last available before the bank holiday weekend.

Needless to say I'm not happy about spending nearly ?50K on a fully spec'd BMW and end up driving a filthy Ford Mondeo Diesel.

I'll post more updates when it get them
Old 06-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Members

Got my carback today....Yeehah. All Fixed and appears good. BMW Dealer said that the water came in through a kinked seal on the rear light cluster which must have been there since assembly of the car. I did ask them for a full report on what was replaced but was told that it is not usual to give warranty information to customers. I will follow this up with BMWUK.
Anyhow I'm happy that all is OK currently.
I also found out that the CIP version is is now 21.2

Quick Reply: Water in 535d M Sport Battery compartment