E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Watch the runflats when they are cold.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 04:14 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I know the RF are not supposed to be winter tires, but I thought they were talking about snow capabilities. I took my car out a few days ago and the temperatures were in the low 30's, I only drove a few blocks when I romped on it to make a traffic light. I was making a left turn and I pushed it pretty hard, but usually can push it very hard and the car has always stuck like glue, and the fronts let lose then the rears. I was fishtailing right and left then regained composure.
People were looking at me like why would you enter a turn so fast and I was looking back as if to say that I have done faster without any problems before.
Anyway let the tires warm up before you push it.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if I'm more scared of the tires, or that it might get that cold here in ATL. We shut down the city if it snows or gets too cold.

Thanks for the warning!
Old 12-11-2004, 05:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Dec 11 2004, 07:14 AM
I know the RF are not supposed to be winter tires, but I thought they were talking about snow capabilities. I took my car out a few days ago and the temperatures were in the low 30's, I only drove a few blocks when I romped on it to make a traffic light. I was making a left turn and I pushed it pretty hard, but usually can push it very hard and the car has always stuck like glue, and the fronts let lose then the rears. I was fishtailing right and left then regained composure.
People were looking at me like why would you enter a turn so fast and I was looking back as if to say that I have done faster without any problems before.
Anyway let the tires warm up before you push it.
[snapback]67792[/snapback]
That's the thing about "summer" tires -- they're optimized for high temperatures, and though they're very sticky in summer temps, they become like hard plastic in the lower temperatures. A winter tire's overall grip in low temperature would likely never match a summer tire's overall grip in high temperature, but in the low temperature regime, the winter rules supreme.

So slow it down when the little warning bell rings and says that the temperature is below 37 degrees.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I have experienced the same. Feels like you are driving on hard plastic. This was on a cold So California morning last week. I would just take it easy for the first few miles while the warm up and soften a bit.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 11 2004, 08:56 AM
I have experienced the same.? Feels like you are driving on hard plastic.? This was on a cold So California morning last week.? I would just take it easy for the first few miles while the warm up and soften a bit.
[snapback]67841[/snapback]
Cold in SoCal??? It ain't cold until you've been in the midwest or the east coast. Don't you know there's only two season in SOCal, Summer and Summer like. Ok, every blue moon we get some rain...so the RF are perfroming well in wet traction I assume....???
Old 12-11-2004, 10:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

OK point taken. LOL as its 85 outside and sunny. But for us spoilt brats a morning in the low 30s is cold.

The RFs are hard and in my experience they work better when warm.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I suspect that's why I'm havign trouble too. Car doesn't feel sure footed at all. Traction light is always on when accelerating. Apart from perhaps the tyre pressures being wrong, I think the RFT tyres aren't great in the cold.

Had the rears slide when I wasn't expecting it. Not great for confidence in the car, and I'm very very keen not to put it in a hedge.

I know that wide tyres need caution when there's risk of ice, but I'm having concerns about roads which aren't even wet. Maybe I just need to scrub the tyres a bit.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

HOW ARE PILOT SPORT a/S AND PILOT SPORT COMPARED TO THESE TIRES?
Old 12-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

Originally Posted by tdocz' date='Dec 11 2004, 01:23 PM
HOW ARE PILOT SPORT a/S AND PILOT SPORT COMPARED TO THESE TIRES?
[snapback]67916[/snapback]
I don't know, but I curious as to what are optimal tires to run with...wet traction and sticky enough for dry conditions...RF or not. What are you bimmians running on if not run flats???
Old 12-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Contributors

I'll have the PS2's once I get the car to SoCal. Right now I have the winter setup, and still pretty good dry traction, but then again, I have not had the PS2's on it yet.

Quick Reply: Watch the runflats when they are cold.