E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Washer Fluid Level Low

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i Silver - E60

Has anyone had problem with the Windshield cleaning container?

Recently, I found that the fluid level in my Windshield cleaning container gets low very quickly.

After I filled the container with water+windex mix, I can only use it to wash about 10 times before the "washer fluid level low" warning comes out...

I suspect that there might be a leak on the container. But it sounds quite stupid...it is just a simple plastic container, right? What on earth can cause leak on that?....
Old 05-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had a 325 a few years ago, I found a puddle underneath my car. Doing some detective work under the hood showed the leak coming from either the windshield washer pump or the grommet between it and the plastic tank. Apparently either the pump or the grommet can get brittle / start leaking, so I paid 60 bucks for a new pump + misc pieces (grommet etc) and swapped the parts - this solved the leak.

This may be your culprit, good luck!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

+1. I had that problem and I think the dealer replaced the grommet or something related (not the pump) and fixed the problem.

Originally Posted by peachykonan
When I had a 325 a few years ago, I found a puddle underneath my car. Doing some detective work under the hood showed the leak coming from either the windshield washer pump or the grommet between it and the plastic tank. Apparently either the pump or the grommet can get brittle / start leaking, so I paid 60 bucks for a new pump + misc pieces (grommet etc) and swapped the parts - this solved the leak.

This may be your culprit, good luck!
Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

This has been plaguing me for months. Over the winter I was just suspicious - I added fluid to my car 3 times and my wifes' just once.

Then this spring got much worse - topped off and three days later got the low warning light. Been trying to track it down. The reason for having trouble to figure it out is I never have anything wet under the car! And it seems to require the car to be either on or moving because I can leave it sit and the level does not change. Drive to work and back and the level is down below the neck where I can't see it.

Time to take it apart
Old 05-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

The connecting Hose get dry and brittle from the engine heat and causes the pipe to start disintegrated over time and it is a pain to replace. Parts are cheap and you can replace them using elbow grease if you up to it.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i

A main problem area here is the windshield washer pump. The internal rubber o-ring that keeps the pump motor dry becomes dry and brittle itself and subsequently disintegrates. When that happens, fluid drawn into the pump can seep past and call checkmate on the pump motor. On the side of the pump housing above the o-ring there is an overflow relief drain hole that allows fluid to drain externally without drowning the pump motor. This is evident if you notice all your recently replenished windshield washer fluid all over the pavement. You can refill the reservoir as much as you want and the pump will still send fluid to the spray nozzles. But you will end up with a urinary incontinent car all over again and a low fluid level nagging nanny.

To verify a bad seal, remove the pump and shake it listening for rattling noises. You may also see little black rubber bits falling out the bottom. That's not poo, it is the under engineered rubber o-ring clocking out for the last time and leaving you with no juice for your dirty windscreen. This happened to my 5 and many other BMW's online. For a 3-year old car requiring a new washer pump is plain stupid. Or plain smart if your job title is BMW director of bean counters.

BMW (or the pump manufacturer) designed the o-rings to have a short lifespan. That is the only reason I can see them designing the overflow drainage holes into the housing. But thats pointless because there doesn't seem to be any way of opening up the pump to replace the o-ring (as I tried). And for the bean counter, replacing a cheap o-ring is a no-no. Buying an entire new pump is a win-win. So if your pump is pee-ing make sure you purchase the updated version which has a newer part number (with possibly an updated rubber o-ring? ).
Old 05-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

Relace 11 and 12 if you want to, sometimes it's that little hose that is connected to part 11 that leaks. My leak was coming from 11 that was broken then eventually stop working.
11 WASH PUMP/FLUID CONTAINER 67126934159 67127302589
12Strainer f wash pump 1 61667006063 $2.62
Old 05-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Members

Gosh...at first I didn't think it would be a big problem...there are so many people got messed with the windshield washer!!

According to Dingolfing, we should buy the latest spare washer pump from the dealer, correct?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i

Once you confirm your pump is indeed bad (most likely with the factory installed part number 67 12 6 934 159), get the newer one. The newer part number is 67 12 7 302 589.

I purchased this one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3307wt_1163

Make sure your 5 is compatible because there is an early 2003 build cut-off date.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Members

So we might be able to DIY the replacement?

Quick Reply: Washer Fluid Level Low