E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

WARRANTY QUESTIONS AND PICTURES FROM GREECE

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 01:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' date='Aug 29 2005, 10:27 AM
Thank you guys.

All replys except BetterMakeWay are from US.
I think i need help from EU, especially from Germany.

Thank you all. Enjoy your great cars.
[snapback]164629[/snapback]
Yasou Niko, oraies fotagrafies !!
regarding warranty, here in Holland it's 2 years, same as Greece. Warranty is valid overal in Europe. For example I had something fixed in Germany under warranty - no problem. In your case, strictly speaking, warranty should be covered until 17/09/05. Whether or not this would be honored as a 2nd owner...not sure, it should be. Normally, a used BMW such as yours would be offered with 1 year warranty from the dealer, which again should be covered in any Europe wide. Check you paperwork/call the dealer you bought it from. Make some calls to BMW importer for the official story !

I would be VERY surprised if you could extend the warranty on your car in europe, under your current circumstances.

Regarding the dvd drive, get a second opinion from another BMW dealer. Solution seems too easy from a dealer perspective.

2004-2 dvd : NO Greece map.
NO free updates. I think 2005-2 has Greece on it. Maybe someone can confirm.
Wait a while and order the 2005-2 or eventually 2006-1 from ebay or something.
DO NOT pay 300+euros for it. What a rip off....Cartography is now available for Greece now, so it's a matter of time for the dvd to include it.

an theleis, steile mou email !

Old 08-29-2005, 01:41 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yasou Niko, oraies fotagrafies !!
regarding warranty, here in Holland it's 2 years, same as Greece. Warranty is valid overal in Europe. For example I had something fixed in Germany under warranty - no problem. In your case, strictly speaking, warranty should be covered until 17/09/05. Whether or not this would be honored as a 2nd owner...not sure, it should be. Normally, a used BMW such as yours would be offered with 1 year warranty from the dealer, which again should be covered in any Europe wide. Check you paperwork/call the dealer you bought it from. Make some calls to BMW importer for the official story !

I would be VERY surprised if you could extend the warranty on your car in europe, under your current circumstances.

Regarding the dvd drive, get a second opinion from another BMW dealer. Solution seems too easy from a dealer perspective.

2004-2 dvd : NO Greece map.
NO free updates. I think 2005-2 has Greece on it. Maybe someone can confirm.
Wait a while and order the 2005-2 or eventually 2006-1 from ebay or something.
DO NOT pay 300+euros for it. What a rip off....Cartography is now available for Greece now, so it's a matter of time for the dvd to include it.

an theleis, steile mou email !

[snapback]164635[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thank you Andy for informations & advises.
Very useful. :'( Do you speak Greek ?
Nes, Hamann5 and you, seems to got Greek education.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:43 AM
SDS
Members

My Ride: 2006 530 xi, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Leather,poplar grain wood trimi, prem. pkg., prem. sound pkg., cold weather pkg., steptronic auto. trans., front comfort seats, split folding rear seats w/ski bag,rear heated seating, power rear sunshade and manual rear side window shades, park distance control, BMW on-board navigation system and satellite radio.

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' date='Aug 28 2005, 07:52 PM
I'm owner of an imported from Germany used E60. Model 520i. First Purchase date 17/9/03.
I own it about five months now. 39.000 Km on dashboard.
I'm satisfied untill now, no problems, but i need to know about the warranty coverage.

My questions are:

1) Is warranty unified in EU, or specific for each European country? (in Greece 2 years). I've heard that in Germany is 3 years. Which one covers my car?

2) Is it possible to extend the warranty coverage?

3) First month, when i bought the car, i had a damage of an ignition coil (1 of 6)
I went to BMW service, they change it, warranty coverage, OK. I've heard that there is a BMW service bulletin for all of 6 ignition coils to be changed. Is that true?

4) Door seals are squeaking, shift handle have lost the nickel surface and leatherette on shift base is distorted. Mp3 don't play well (speakers are screaming). Dealer said that the dvd drive (business nav) needs to be replaced. Does warranty covers that damages?

5) Business Nav 2004-2 dvd disk that came with my car don't have GR map on it.
Is there option for update (free or not) the Navigation DVD, to cover my country?

Apology about my english. Thank you very much.

NOW TAKE A LOOK AT E60 GREECE
[snapback]164473[/snapback]

I have not been back to Greece since 1993 and seeing your photos makes me want to go back now, however my travel budget is a little low right now after taking delivery of my 2006 530xi all loaded up.
I have enjoyed your country very much.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Liked a lot about picture where houses are behind car!

Skaffa
Old 08-29-2005, 05:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Yiassas Pedia!

Great pictures of a great car in a pretty part of Greece.

Just out of curiousity, approximately how much did you pay for your 520 in Germany and how much were your import duties to bring it home?

I believe that as a non-residenct citizen, I can buy a car without paying VAT and bring it into the country for my use (red plates). Is this correct?

I am thinking of building a home west of Korinthos and would like to buy a BMW for when I am in Greece but want to avoid the VAT if possible.

Tassos
Old 08-29-2005, 08:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' date='Aug 29 2005, 01:52 AM
I'm owner of an imported from Germany used E60. Model 520i. First Purchase date 17/9/03.
I own it about five months now. 39.000 Km on dashboard.
I'm satisfied untill now, no problems, but i need to know about the warranty coverage.

My questions are:

1) Is warranty unified in EU, or specific for each European country? (in Greece 2 years). I've heard that in Germany is 3 years. Which one covers my car?

2) Is it possible to extend the warranty coverage?

3) First month, when i bought the car, i had a damage of an ignition coil (1 of 6)
I went to BMW service, they change it, warranty coverage, OK. I've heard that there is a BMW service bulletin for all of 6 ignition coils to be changed. Is that true?

4) Door seals are squeaking, shift handle have lost the nickel surface and leatherette on shift base is distorted. Mp3 don't play well (speakers are screaming). Dealer said that the dvd drive (business nav) needs to be replaced. Does warranty covers that damages?

5) Business Nav 2004-2 dvd disk that came with my car don't have GR map on it.
Is there option for update (free or not) the Navigation DVD, to cover my country?

Apology about my english. Thank you very much.

NOW TAKE A LOOK AT E60 GREECE

[snapback]164473[/snapback]
Nice car and very nice pics.
I just love when the pics have a beautiful backgroud as well.

Try to answer some of your questions:
1) The EU warranty is two years and it is good in all EU countries. (You have about two weeks to get your car fixed!)

2) No you cannot.

3) I have not heard of this.
But anything a authorized BMW Service company does has a warranty for both the job and parts.
So if you had any problems with the other 5 coils, they should have noticed that.

4) About the doors seals you can read lots of within this site. Do some surfing!
"...shift handle have lost the nickel surface and leatherette on shift base is distorted"
This sounds mysterious. I would not take this, have them replaced!!!
The MP3 and the Nav. DVD is under warranty if original options.

5) I'm pretty sure that you need to buy an fresher one.

PS. Do not worry about your English. I also just write what I can but most forum members understand what I mean, or...
Old 08-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: DMS 535d. Titanium Silver on Black leather. M- Sport Package.

Yiasou Niko

Great pics (great looking car) nice to see another fellow Greek around.

Regrads from Cyprus

Kyriacos
Old 08-29-2005, 10:06 AM
NES
Members

Originally Posted by nicke60gre
Do you speak Greek ?

Born to Greek Parents; travel to Greece frequently; because of Greek parents in my earlier years had to go to Greek school for 12 years, including Ancient Greek. My entire family speaks Greek, so basically it was a given I would learn as well. Exo spiti sta Megara kai tou Patera mou to patriko spiti stin Xio. Se pio meros tis Elladas vrisekese?
Old 08-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NES' date='Aug 29 2005, 01:06 PM
[quote name='nicke60gre']Do you speak Greek ?

Born to Greek Parents; travel to Greece frequently; because of Greek parents in my earlier years had to go to Greek school for 12 years, including Ancient Greek. My entire family speaks Greek, so basically it was a given I would learn as well. Exo spiti sta Megara kai tou Patera mou to patriko spiti stin Xio. Se pio meros tis Elladas vrisekese?
[snapback]164768[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi NES, in Greenglish "meno stin Athina ston Holargo" I live in Athens.
The picture you saw are taken in Paros island and Katakolo port at Peloponnese.
Glad you're Greek-American. E39 is waiting for you to come in Athens.

Yasou file Kiriaco from Cyprus. We have a nice Greek company in this forum.
Also all the other guys are responding as well.

Thank you all
Regards
Old 08-29-2005, 11:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ademitt' date='Aug 29 2005, 08:54 AM
Yiassas Pedia!

Great pictures of a great car in a pretty part of Greece.?

Just out of curiousity, approximately how much did you pay for your 520 in Germany and how much were your import duties to bring it home?

I believe that as a non-residenct citizen, I can buy a car without paying VAT and bring it? into the country for my use (red plates).? Is this correct?

I am thinking of building a home west of Korinthos and would like to buy a BMW for when I am in Greece but want to avoid the VAT if possible.

Tassos
[snapback]164694[/snapback]
Tassos, build your home in Greece and all the other things about VAT etc. will be fine because you'll be foreign citizen in Greece so you'll find a solution.

Quick Reply: WARRANTY QUESTIONS AND PICTURES FROM GREECE