E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Warning: Test driving the 545! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been browsing this board for a while and thought I would contribute my tale. I have always been a car freak since I was a kid. I have never owned a BMW before, but I've always loved the styling. I always thought about buying one, but it was never the right time. Instead, I've owned Acura's, Nissan's and Honda's - you know - practical cars. A couple of years ago I finally broke down and bought the fun and impractical third car that I have always wanted - 1987 911 Porsche Cabriolet. This car has been such a blast that it has prompted me to have more fun and finally indulge my passion ( to my wife's angst).

When the E60 came out I was shocked with how awful I thought it looked. I said to myself, this is it, BMW is going downhill fast. This is coming from an Architect. I truly believe I understand and appreciate great design and style. Well, like many of us here, I kept looking at it and trying to figure it out. After looking at it many, many times on the BMW website with the whole 360 degree thing. The headlight configuration started to catch my eye. I became intrigued by it and studied the lines and how they graced the side panels and swept into the hood and slowly I could feel myself changing and understanding it. Miraculously, I started to like it and then shortly thereafter I said, I get it. This car is awesome!!! It was virtually overnight that I went from hating it to loving it.

So four months ago, the time had arrived to start looking to replace the practical, but sporty Maxima. I thought about the 5er first, but those thoughts of practicality jumped up first. So I drove the G35, Acura TL, etc.. Something was missing. The 5er kept calling my name. What about a 525? That is when I thought . . . yes this is now the time to finally and fully indulge in my one true passion.

I figured that I would try the 525 and 530. No need to try the 545, it just can't be worth the extra money. The 525 was nice, but I really had to press it hard to get the response I was looking for. I tried the 530 and yelled out at the salesman, yep this is it as I took the car to 6000 rpm's with only 100 miles on it. I even joked with him that I would not drive the 545, because I read on some internet site that I would be hooked.

I was happy as could be with the 530. But I started to read some of the posts here about some people's experience with the 545. Curiosity started to grow. Why even try it, I said to myself. The 530 has plenty of get up and go. More than you will need in everyday driving. Hell you can't go over 50 miles an hour in town. The curiosity grew stronger with each post I read. Finally, I got the urge. I had to try it. I asked the salesman to let me take a 530 first. Awsome car. There's no reason to need more. I got into the 545 and the salesman had me take a different route. No I said, let's get an exact comparison. Trust me you won't need it. You'll notice it right away. He took me to an uphill freeway on ramp. When the light turned green he looked at me and said "PUNCH IT!" I pushed in the throttle hard and all of a sudden I got this dull ache in the pit of my stomach that felt like my guts were being pushed into my spine and the car rocketed up the hill like a beast! I swear we came onto the freeway 4' off the ground and at 130 mph. Damn! I yelled. I could not stop smiling and grinning from ear to ear. This car just tore up the freeway. I was dodging and swerving by cars and I flew by them.

I was hooked!

I rationalized the purchase of a 545 that day. I pick it up in Germany in early March. Be forwarned. As it has been said here . . . If you drive it, you'll buy it.

Happy motoring. Here is a picture of the stablemate.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

blackcab Gets It!
Old 01-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard, blackcab.

Very nice write up.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:38 PM
Members

Double Post
Old 01-14-2005, 08:41 PM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be 2005 5-series

I test drove the 530i and 545i back to back twice. I came to the conclusion that the extra 100 hp was not worth the $6k extra. This is just me, through. I still think the 530i is overpriced and the 545i is ridiculous in price. So, I ordered the 530i and will drive it for 36 months and then probably get the 550i if its available then. I like to take the path of progressive so that there is something to look forward to later on.

I thought the 530i had adequate power. You have to look at the relationship between the weight of the car and the hp. Sure, the 545i has 100 more hp but it also weighs about +276lbs. (comparing both models in SMG option). So not all of that 100 hp is useble, since you are now carrying the extra weight. But, yes it does have alot of power and acceleration. For me, it was not a selling point. Just my opinion.

Leonard.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by blackcab' date='Jan 14 2005, 09:26 PM
I've been browsing this board for a while and thought I would contribute my tale.? I have always been a car freak since I was a kid.? I have never owned a BMW before, but I've always loved the styling.? I always thought about buying one, but it was never the right time.? Instead, I've owned Acura's, Nissan's and Honda's - you know - practical cars.? A couple of years ago I finally broke down and bought the fun and impractical third car that I have always wanted - 1987 911 Porsche Cabriolet.? This car has been such a blast that it has prompted me to have more fun and finally indulge my passion ( to my wife's angst).

When the E60 came out I was shocked with how awful I thought it looked.? I said to myself, this is it, BMW is going downhill fast.? This is coming from an Architect.? I truly believe I understand and appreciate great design and style.? Well, like many of us here, I kept looking at it and trying to figure it out.? After looking at it many, many times on the BMW website with the whole 360 degree thing.? The headlight configuration started to catch my eye.? I became intrigued by it and studied the lines and how they graced the side panels and swept into the hood and slowly I could feel myself changing and understanding it.? Miraculously, I started to like it and then shortly thereafter I said, I get it.? This car is awesome!!!? It was virtually overnight that I went from hating it to loving it.

So four months ago, the time had arrived to start looking to replace the practical, but sporty Maxima.? I thought about the 5er first, but those thoughts of practicality jumped up first.? So I drove the G35, Acura TL, etc..? Something was missing.? The 5er kept calling my name.? What about a 525?? That is when I thought . . . yes this is now the time to finally and fully indulge in my one true passion.

I figured that I would try the 525 and 530.? No need to try the 545, it just can't be worth the extra money.? The 525 was nice, but I really had to press it hard to get the response I was looking for.? I tried the 530 and yelled out at the salesman, yep this is it as I took the car to 6000 rpm's with only 100 miles on it.? I even joked with him that I would not drive the 545, because I read on some internet site that I would be hooked.

I was happy as could be with the 530.? But I started to read some of the posts here about some people's experience with the 545.? Curiosity started to grow.? Why even try it, I said to myself.? The 530 has plenty of get up and go.? More than you will need in everyday driving.? Hell you can't go over 50 miles an hour in town.? The curiosity grew stronger with each post I read.? Finally, I got the urge.? I had to try it.? I asked the salesman to let me take a 530 first.? Awsome car.? There's no reason to need more.? I got into the 545 and the salesman had me take a different route.? No I said, let's get an exact comparison.? Trust me you won't need it.? You'll notice it right away.? He took me to an uphill freeway on ramp.? When the light turned green he looked at me and said "PUNCH IT!"? I pushed in the throttle hard and all of a sudden I got this dull ache in the pit of my stomach that felt like my guts were being pushed into my spine and the car rocketed up the hill like a beast!? I swear we came onto the freeway 4' off the ground and at 130 mph.? Damn!? I yelled.? I could not stop smiling and grinning from ear to ear.? This car just tore up the freeway.? I was dodging and swerving by cars and I flew by them.

I was hooked!

I rationalized the purchase of a 545 that day.? I pick it up in Germany in early March.? Be forwarned.? As it has been said here . . . If you drive it, you'll buy it.

Happy motoring.? Here is a picture of the stablemate.
[snapback]79314[/snapback]
HAhaha you get it!!! WOW ED... a lot cheaper no wonder you are willing to get it over the practical cars... thats like the price of a 525.5 bought here in the states.

I wish I could have done ED...
Old 01-14-2005, 08:53 PM
fq1
Members

What color/options did you get and what's the manufacturing date. I am also doing ED, but for the end of March.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 545 SMG Individual interior, all options except Nav & HUD.

Welcome, Blackcab. Fabulous post! Cheers
Old 01-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Members

I tried to edit my post and attach a picture of my other ride. I'll try again with the photo. In terms of design, I wanted to add this: The Eiffel Tower was unique when constructed. Most of the world had not seen structures built out of metal. The tower was despised when it was constructed. The citizens of Paris thought it was horrific and a national embarrassement. In fact, there was a public vote to tear it down. Common sense prevailed. Over time they grew to admire then love it. Today it has become one of their national symbols. I'm not comparing Bangel to Gustav Eiffel. What I am saying is that when something is unique and different, it is often met with great resistance. However, over time the beauty comes through.

Also, I'm in no way trouncing the 530. It really is an impressive car and does better than 90% of what is out there. The 545 is just more of a great thing.
Attached Thumbnails Warning:  Test driving the 545! (long)-cab.jpg   Warning:  Test driving the 545! (long)-cab.jpg  
Old 01-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

OOoooo nice... nice background too... where are you located?

Quick Reply: Warning: Test driving the 545! (long)