E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Voice recognition retrofit in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 08:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car was supposed to come with voice recognition. It didn't and I made a remark on the form when I took delivery. I have been trying to get it retrofitted for a while now, but the kit has been on hold for ages.
Now Dennis 530E60NL has managed to get me the kit from Holland and my dealer will attempt to fit it end of the month.
The part was only EUR 45.

Will keep you guys posted.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Senior Members

me too fred. I was booked in last week but they discovered a form that I need to sign that is not on the parts list
Old 04-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Members

My Ride: Delivered 30/11/04: 535d Sport, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Media Package, Hi-Fi, Rear M Spoiler, Headlamp Washer, Auto dim/folding mirrors, Grad tint screen, Aux input,

Hi Flowerfred,

My dealer has been promising this retrofit for me too, but no news from him. Have you heard anything yet?

Does anyone have info on the UK version?
Old 04-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Contributors

I'm picking the car up tomorrow. There where a few problems.
For one they couldn't get the retrofit kit, so I got one from Holland. Very reasonable at around GBP 30.
Apparently I'm the 3rd one in the UK to get it retrofitted, with the first two done at headquarters in Bracknell.
They have to get a new vehicle list (don't know the official term, the list with options the car has in an amended version to include voice control) from Munich first, then update the software to the latest version. They are putting 16.1 on mine now.

Tomorrow I'll know more..
Old 04-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

Is this retrofit only meant for the professional navigation?

Does anyone know how much time TIS specifies for the installation?

I'd really like getting it installed on our car.. AFAIK voice control/recognition is supposed to be standard for e.g. the Siemens S55 bluetooth integration, or have I misunderstood? Feels cheap having the voice control button on the steering wheel, without being able to use it
Old 04-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Well, the dealers still has the car. The software crashed and they are talkingto Munich for a solution..
Got a brand new 325 convertible as a loaner. Hope the weather is goods this weekend, or this summer by the looks of things.
BTW, how come they specced a sales demo with near enough all the toys but no heated seats? Is it me?
Old 04-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Apr 7 2005, 01:08 PM
Well, the dealers still has the car. The software crashed and they are talkingto Munich for a solution..
Got a brand new 325 convertible as a loaner. Hope the weather is goods this weekend, or this summer by the looks of things.
BTW, how come they specced a sales demo with near enough all the toys but no heated seats? Is it me?
[snapback]112445[/snapback]
Flowerfred,

Are you getting the extended voice control system (button next to Menu button) that operates the Idrive? If so the retrofit kit sounds very cheap. I 've just paid ?270.00 for the factory fit option and am intrigued to know how you can buy it for just ?30.00 or is there a big labour charge.

I spend most of the time swearing at mine as the dizzy bint doesn't quite understand me
Old 04-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Contributors

From what I could see the kit was just the split button and a few wires. The rest must be all software, unless you don't have a phone option. You'd need a microphone then..
Old 04-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Apr 7 2005, 01:57 PM
From what I could see the kit was just the split button and a few wires. The rest must be all software, unless you don't have a phone option. You'd need a microphone then..
[snapback]112456[/snapback]
Looks I've taken a right old fleecing then
Old 04-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Apr 7 2005, 10:33 AM
[quote name='Flowerfred' date='Apr 7 2005, 01:08 PM']Well, the dealers still has the car. The software crashed and they are talkingto Munich for a solution..
[snapback]112445[/snapback]
Flowerfred,

Are you getting the extended voice control system (button next to Menu button) that operates the Idrive? If so the retrofit kit sounds very cheap. I 've just paid ?270.00 for the factory fit option and am intrigued to know how you can buy it for just ?30.00 or is there a big labour charge.

I spend most of the time swearing at mine as the dizzy bint doesn't quite understand me
[snapback]112448[/snapback]
[/quote]

Maybe thats because you guys talk funny over there?

Sorry gentlemen, could not resist having a little fun with this! I was reading it to learn more about the voice control system and I guess I am getting a little punchy.

Quick Reply: Voice recognition retrofit in the UK