E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Voice Dial

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I synced my phone to the car and have all entries showing in the phone book on the screen that I can scroll through using the iDrive wheel. However when I use the voice command button if I try to dial by name I hear "Phonebook empty" in reply. Also, when I voice prompt the actual number with "Dial ###...." it replies "Dialing ###...." and then nothing happens, never connects. Any ideas anyone? or am I going to have to bring it to a dealership? It's CPO'd, just over 36K on it now... is this sort of thing covered? Thx.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by jfk92' post='796812' date='Feb 19 2009, 12:50 PM
Hi,

I synced my phone to the car and have all entries showing in the phone book on the screen that I can scroll through using the iDrive wheel. However when I use the voice command button if I try to dial by name I hear "Phonebook empty" in reply. Also, when I voice prompt the actual number with "Dial ###...." it replies "Dialing ###...." and then nothing happens, never connects. Any ideas anyone? or am I going to have to bring it to a dealership? It's CPO'd, just over 36K on it now... is this sort of thing covered? Thx.
You need to record the names first with the associated phone numbers. Look at the manual for instructions on how to do this.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

Hi,

Is your car equipped with a CCC-based iDrive? If not, you do not have the voice-to-text feature.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='796829' date='Feb 19 2009, 01:11 PM
Is your car equipped with a CCC-based iDrive? If not, you do not have the voice-to-text feature.
Well, if the car replies to him, I would think he has the voice to text feature, unless he's hearing voices in his head.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='796822' date='Feb 19 2009, 01:05 PM
You need to record the names first with the associated phone numbers. Look at the manual for instructions on how to do this.
AAAAAaahhhh. Makes sense. Thx. Will do this. Didn't need to do that with wife's car (MDX). Thx for the info.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='796831' date='Feb 19 2009, 01:13 PM
Well, if the car replies to him, I would think he has the voice to text feature, unless he's hearing voices in his head.
no, they are two different systems.

the cars that have bluetooth but not navigation (m-ask) have a separate voice dial phone book. While it will display your phone's entries in the iDrive, you have to separately program the voice recognition dialing. The voice recognition is limited to a few commands and the recordings you provide.

the cars with navigation and bluetooth (CCC) use full voice recognition to let you dial the phone entries without having to re-enter them.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='796846' date='Feb 19 2009, 01:28 PM
no, they are two different systems.

the cars that have bluetooth but not navigation (m-ask) have a separate voice dial phone book. While it will display your phone's entries in the iDrive, you have to separately program the voice recognition dialing. The voice recognition is limited to a few commands and the recordings you provide.

the cars with navigation and bluetooth (CCC) use full voice recognition to let you dial the phone entries without having to re-enter them.
aaah, thx. even better clarity now. while I may have tiny voices in my head from time to time I'm thinking this one is the car. I'll read up on programming my phone favorites! thx again!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by jfk92' post='797118' date='Feb 19 2009, 05:17 PM
aaah, thx. even better clarity now. while I may have tiny voices in my head from time to time I'm thinking this one is the car. I'll read up on programming my phone favorites! thx again!
Just click the voice button and say SAVE NAME when finished say SAVE
Old 02-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Senior Members

Hi,

If the car replies as 'empty' or "Dialing ###" and then nothing happens after that... I am certainly sure ..the voice is from passenger seat it should be your wife ( this is what happens to me often. )
Old 02-20-2009, 04:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by jfk92' post='797118' date='Feb 19 2009, 05:17 PM
Always helps in getting better suggestions if you can post the model year and options on the car.

Quick Reply: Voice Dial