E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Voice Control is lacking, can it be modified?

Old 02-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

The voice control in the 5 is overambitious and I think its complexity makes it useless. I'd set up a poll here if I knew how, becasue I'd like to know how many E60 owners avoid it all together. Its often very slow to respond after hitting the button, and the biggest problem IMHO is having to wait for the beep to talk. The E90 3 series voice system does not have the beep and it works in much more effective, direct and swift manner. It's a shot in the dark, but is anyone aware of any way to change the system so you don't have to wait for that annoying delayed beep? Perhaps another version is/was used outside the U.S. market and could be flashed at the dealer? I'm surprised BMW developed something that isn't quick in its reactions....its inconsistent with the car's image.

DRP
Old 02-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Voice Command in the 3er and in the 5er is controlled by the same exact computer, the CCC, and uses the same software.

The 3er does indeed require users to wait for a beep before speaking.

It?s no different in other markets.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

Forgot to add, since I spend time in 5ers and 3ers regularly, I have not had any problem with Voice Command.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='388371' date='Feb 7 2007, 01:33 PM
Forgot to add, since I spend time in 5ers and 3ers regularly, I have not had any problem with Voice Command.
I had an 06' 325i loaner with bluetooth. I hit the voice button, then the car beeped. I say i.e. "dial number". Then it responds "please say number". THERE was NO beep at this point. I simply said the number after the car finished talking and then it repeats the number and you say "dial". In the 550 you must wait for a delayed beep before you talk -everytime-, and that can be as many as 3-4 times in one command depending on the command. I would say that if it took 15 seconds to dial a number by voice in the 325, it takes 25-30 to do the same thing in my 550. Although this difference seems insignificant, I can more quickly enter the number manually through i-drive. That shouldn't be possible with a well designed and implemented voice control system IMHO. And a 3 shouldn't have a more user friendly system than its more expensive big brother. I believe the difference is that the 3 series uses a more simple voice recognition system that has less functionality, and so its like running an old version of software on a brand new machine. Its quick and responsive because its not pushing the limits. Now install a program that uses all of a given computer's resources; RAM, storage, CPU power etc.... its going to be less responsive because its busy all the time. That is the 5's system IMHO. I'd take the 3 series system any day.

DRP
Old 02-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='388371' date='Feb 7 2007, 06:33 PM
I have not had any problem with Voice Command.
I have to agree.

I find it a extremely effective.

ABC
Old 02-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='388463' date='Feb 7 2007, 09:25 PM
I had an 06' 325i loaner with bluetooth. I hit the voice button, then the car beeped. I say i.e. "dial number". Then it responds "please say number". THERE was NO beep at this point. I simply said the number after the car finished talking and then it repeats the number and you say "dial". In the 550 you must wait for a delayed beep before you talk -everytime-, and that can be as many as 3-4 times in one command depending on the command.
My 530d's voice control works in exactly the way you describe for the 325i that you drove. When I hit the voice button, I get one beep. You then go through the whole dial number stuff without any further beeps. It's behaved the same across several software upgrades. I think it's brilliant.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

OK, we need to get back to basics here, folks. We are comparing apples to pineapples here and none of this has to do with whether it?s a 3er or 5er.

The variances that we are hearing stem from technical configuration, specifically whether or not the car is equipped with the CCC and then also which TCU the car has.

Assuming no CCC and the basic TCU, which is a config. I have not tested, there is no advanced Voice Command system, no speech-to-text, etc. There is a very simplified call control system and this is probably what people are describing here.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='388463' date='Feb 7 2007, 04:25 PM
I had an 06' 325i loaner with bluetooth. I hit the voice button, then the car beeped. I say i.e. "dial number". Then it responds "please say number". THERE was NO beep at this point. I simply said the number after the car finished talking and then it repeats the number and you say "dial". In the 550 you must wait for a delayed beep before you talk -everytime-, and that can be as many as 3-4 times in one command depending on the command. I would say that if it took 15 seconds to dial a number by voice in the 325, it takes 25-30 to do the same thing in my 550. Although this difference seems insignificant, I can more quickly enter the number manually through i-drive. That shouldn't be possible with a well designed and implemented voice control system IMHO. And a 3 shouldn't have a more user friendly system than its more expensive big brother. I believe the difference is that the 3 series uses a more simple voice recognition system that has less functionality, and so its like running an old version of software on a brand new machine. Its quick and responsive because its not pushing the limits. Now install a program that uses all of a given computer's resources; RAM, storage, CPU power etc.... its going to be less responsive because its busy all the time. That is the 5's system IMHO. I'd take the 3 series system any day.

DRP
Did the 325i have a CCC?
Old 02-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MrTrilby' post='388467' date='Feb 7 2007, 04:35 PM
My 530d's voice control works in exactly the way you describe for the 325i that you drove. When I hit the voice button, I get one beep. You then go through the whole dial number stuff without any further beeps. It's behaved the same across several software upgrades. I think it's brilliant.
Is your car equipped with the CCC?
Old 02-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Members

Does my car have CCC? No idea what it is. I don't have extended voice control - just the simple voice control that comes with the bluetooth hands free option.

My car also only has business navigation too if that makes a difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Voice Control is lacking, can it be modified?