E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Vibration and Tire Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a 2007 530i with an M5 aero kit on it about a year ago.

I recently went over uneven pavement in the freeway and it seemed like I hit a brick wall. Pulled over on the side and noticed my tire popped, I have Michelin PS2s on my car. Had the car towed to a locl BMW dealership and upon their inspection they said the suspension seemed fine, they replaced the tire, and said the car was ready for pickup. I pickup the car only to notice that my smooth ride was so not so smooth anymore. It felt like the wheels where not balanced, I also noticed slight tire noise. Returned the car to the service dept., they balanced all wheels and also alligned all wheels, they also mentioned that the front passenger side wheel was slightly bent on the inside. Although the car feels much better, I still hear slight tire noise and feel faint vibration around 80-85 mph. My question is would the bend on the wheel cause tire noise and a faint vibration? According to the service dept they're saying that the alignment and balancing of all wheels should've fixed the tire noise and vibration. If that's the case does anyone have any idea what this could be? I've read other posts and people talk about wheel bearings and strut damage. Is this a logical possibility? Also, would a new tire and old tire cause the vibration and tire noise?

Any help is appreciated.

David
Old 08-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by sandglass' post='463841' date='Aug 29 2007, 09:15 PM
I got a 2007 530i with an M5 aero kit on it about a year ago.

I recently went over uneven pavement in the freeway and it seemed like I hit a brick wall. Pulled over on the side and noticed my tire popped, I have Michelin PS2s on my car. Had the car towed to a locl BMW dealership and upon their inspection they said the suspension seemed fine, they replaced the tire, and said the car was ready for pickup. I pickup the car only to notice that my smooth ride was so not so smooth anymore. It felt like the wheels where not balanced, I also noticed slight tire noise. Returned the car to the service dept., they balanced all wheels and also alligned all wheels, they also mentioned that the front passenger side wheel was slightly bent on the inside. Although the car feels much better, I still hear slight tire noise and feel faint vibration around 80-85 mph. My question is would the bend on the wheel cause tire noise and a faint vibration? According to the service dept they're saying that the alignment and balancing of all wheels should've fixed the tire noise and vibration. If that's the case does anyone have any idea what this could be? I've read other posts and people talk about wheel bearings and strut damage. Is this a logical possibility? Also, would a new tire and old tire cause the vibration and tire noise?

Any help is appreciated.

David
If your wheel (the rim) is bent, it sure can make vibrations.
I don't know about the noise. Is it continuing sound or does it tremble? How loud is it?
If it?s continuing (as I guess), I don?t believe the bent rim could cause that.
Did they install all new tire or did they fix the old one? If the tire is brand new, maybe the sound comes from it. And if this is the case, then it?s normal. It will wear out and the sound will change like other tires as well.
Hmmm... Okay. You say they alligned all wheels. If there was a lots of correction to make, that means the tires touch the ground in a different angle than before and that causes the noise. But I don?t believe in this because changes are minor.

And now someone tell me I?m talking BS
Old 08-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome. +1 on the bent wheel causing vibrations. there have been a number of instances here that there were complaints of vibrations and bent wheels were the cause. for the tire noise at that speed, maybe it could be tramlining since its a new tire if you feel slight pulls as well. enjoy the forums.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='463893' date='Aug 29 2007, 12:42 PM
welcome. +1 on the bent wheel causing vibrations. there have been a number of instances here that there were complaints of vibrations and bent wheels were the cause. for the tire noise at that speed, maybe it could be tramlining since its a new tire if you feel slight pulls as well. enjoy the forums.
Today I went back to the service dept and they swapped all four wheels and tires from another 530. The nosie was still there so I guess its just normal tire nosie that I am hearing. However, the vibration was gone so we concluded that the cause of the vibration is due to the bent wheel. Wheel is being replaced with new one. Hopefully this cures the problem.

David
Old 08-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Don't get me started on vibration! I am going in for my 5th wheel alignment on Friday...purchased car new in May. I have had my OEM wheels balanced 4 times and my replicas balanced twice....all by the dealer. The "fix" lasts about 2 days, then slowly but surely my vibration returns..steering wheel, seats, you name it. This all began day 1, prior to my springs install, so we can rule that out.

The dealer has no clue what else to do, so I just keep taking it in. They are having a similar problem on another 530xi there, and are awaiting a BMW "engineer" to look at that car. All new tires and wheels didn't fix his problem, and I don't think it will fix mine. My OEM's don't cause my vibration as much as my replicas, but they still cause my steering wheel to dance the cha cha along with my seats, etc. It is driving me insane! My replicas have BMW diameter hubs, so that is not the issue, and they are not damaged....nor are my OEM's. It sounds like a typical wheel balance issue.....starts at 40mph...goes away at 80mph, but how many times can they balance the same wheels just to tell me they are already zero'd in.

Any thoughts? No one can figure it out. We'll see how it goes Friday, but I don't see what else they are going to do that they haven't done 4 times already...... :thumbsdown:
Old 08-30-2007, 12:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='464087' date='Aug 30 2007, 01:49 PM
Don't get me started on vibration! I am going in for my 5th wheel alignment on Friday...purchased car new in May. I have had my OEM wheels balanced 4 times and my replicas balanced twice....all by the dealer. The "fix" lasts about 2 days, then slowly but surely my vibration returns..steering wheel, seats, you name it. This all began day 1, prior to my springs install, so we can rule that out.

The dealer has no clue what else to do, so I just keep taking it in. They are having a similar problem on another 530xi there, and are awaiting a BMW "engineer" to look at that car. All new tires and wheels didn't fix his problem, and I don't think it will fix mine. My OEM's don't cause my vibration as much as my replicas, but they still cause my steering wheel to dance the cha cha along with my seats, etc. It is driving me insane! My replicas have BMW diameter hubs, so that is not the issue, and they are not damaged....nor are my OEM's. It sounds like a typical wheel balance issue.....starts at 40mph...goes away at 80mph, but how many times can they balance the same wheels just to tell me they are already zero'd in.

Any thoughts? No one can figure it out. We'll see how it goes Friday, but I don't see what else they are going to do that they haven't done 4 times already...... :thumbsdown:
sorry to hear this. But if your car is new from May and they can not fix it, cant they just give you a new car like the Honda dealers.
If Honda has a mager fault with the car within a few months and can not be fixed then they will change it for a new 1.
5th wheel alignment??? That alot.
did not know you can do that many wheel alignment on the same wheels.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='464117' date='Aug 30 2007, 04:37 AM
sorry to hear this. But if your car is new from May and they can not fix it, cant they just give you a new car like the Honda dealers.
If Honda has a mager fault with the car within a few months and can not be fixed then they will change it for a new 1.
5th wheel alignment??? That alot.
did not know you can do that many wheel alignment on the same wheels.
No one is offering me any new car! I wish! My springs install is going to screw me. If I can put the old ones back on and re-establish the same issue, I might have a case. I just can't stand the thought of driving back on my OEM's way up in the sky...
Old 08-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Contributors

Have you ever thought that maybe the tire is rotating out of the right position? I have heard of this problem occurring with certain types of tires.

Having gone through the vibration problems with replicas (but I solved the issues when I purchased OEMs), I would like to do a scientific study to actually figure out what causes the issues.

This is obviously not simple, as most of us did the balancing, etc. There is something else that is causing this issue, and I would love to figure it out.

I also think that vibration that only occurs at 85 mph is not a bent wheel. A bent wheel would give you vibration at 40mph as well.

I believe that there is a BMW specific issue that many of us are not catching. It may be the bolts that we use with the 5-Series (they may not match aftermarket wheels).

I have read many articles, but nothing has stuck out to date.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Members

Interesting thing is that I am getting this vibration on OEM style 166 M wheels. Prior to the pavement incident, I had no vibration at all, the car was as smooth as silk. After the incident, I started noticing the vibration. As I mentioned before, the foreman replaced all four wheels, then we took the car for a test drive and the vibration was gone. So this leads us to believe that the bent wheel is the culprit. The bent wheel will be replaced next week. I'll post the outcome.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:47 AM
Contributors

Well, I had my 5th wheel alignment and 5th wheel balance today to try and rid my car of its persistent vibration. It turns out that 2 of my new Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's are out-of-round. BMW road-force balanced them (FINALLY!), and the front tires were bouncing up and down so much that the Hunter balancer failed them both. The rears were fine.

The replica WHEELS, as it turns out, are not the problem at all. So, one more thing I get to deal with now, but one other thing ruled out. The guy who worked on my car today was a Dinan guy and had never worked on my particular car in the past re: my prior problems. This guy was AWESOME! I got to watch the whole balance and wheel alignment process.....even helped him carry the sandbags to weigh down the driver side. And, I got to line up the steering wheel myself to get it centered....it has been off-center twice in the past, so I wanted to make sure it was perfect. You know what they say, "If you want something done right..."

So how's she driving now? Even with my egg-shaped tires in front, the car is driving much smoother. Of course, it was good for a few days after my last appt. So, time will tell. If by next week it's driving fine, I may not even bother getting the tires replaced, even though they are under warranty. It's just such a hassle, and I'd risk more damage to the finish on the wheels by removing and re-installing, etc. We'll see....Oh, check out my post on the M5 I drove today.....WICKED SWEET!

Have a great holiday, for all of you in the US, and a great weekend for those who are not!

Quick Reply: Vibration and Tire Noise