E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Vibration thru Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '07 530xiT with just 15,500 miles on the ODO has had an annoying vibration thru the steering wheel, brake pedal and seat. It's a high frequency vibration similar similar to an electric massager though infinitely more annoying and it persists from idle through till about 10mph when other factors mask it. I dont think it arises from wheels, brakes or suspension since it occurs even when the car is stopped. Moreover, it seems too high a frequency to be from any of those sources. BMW technicians suggested that it's normal for cars with AWD but it's so annoying that it defies logic that BMW could release a car with a characteristic like this. Has anyone else experienced or heard of this?

r

ps. sorry for crossposting. I believe this issue is germane to 530xi and xit models so i posted in both forums.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riisor' post='839464' date='Apr 7 2009, 04:15 PM
My '07 530xiT with just 15,500 miles on the ODO has had an annoying vibration thru the steering wheel, brake pedal and seat. It's a high frequency vibration similar similar to an electric massager though infinitely more annoying and it persists from idle through till about 10mph when other factors mask it. I dont think it arises from wheels, brakes or suspension since it occurs even when the car is stopped. Moreover, it seems too high a frequency to be from any of those sources. BMW technicians suggested that it's normal for cars with AWD but it's so annoying that it defies logic that BMW could release a car with a characteristic like this. Has anyone else experienced or heard of this?

r

ps. sorry for crossposting. I believe this issue is germane to 530xi and xit models so i posted in both forums.
I have an '07 530xi and do not get any vibration like you describe from idle to 10mph. Were it continuing beyond 10 mph I'd think it was wheel imbalance, but that's not the case.

In mine however, between 20mph & 40mph, with moderate acceleration I feel a bit of mechanical vibration - accompanied by something I feel in my ears - and it is unlike wheel out-of-balance issues. Almost feels like a drive-train imbalance and I'll have my dealer examine when my car is in for its inspection service next month.

If anyone has a similar experience feedback is welcome.