E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A very sad day

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 06:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by redondoman' post='299200' date='Jun 18 2006, 03:41 AM
Getting hit sucks, I understand your frustration. I really don't want to turn a car forum into a political forum, but since you brought it up... Believe it or not there are lot's of legal residents / citizens who have no insurance and lot's of undocumented workers that would buy it if they could legally get a drivers license. Again I understand your anger, but can we really blame people coming from piss poor countries trying to better their lives? Maybe if we admit that our economy relies on undocumented workers the rest of Bush's party would back his plan for a guest worker program. I find it interesting that all my neighbors talk crap about undocumented workers, yet every single one of them has a non-citizen/resident gardener, maid and/or nanny. I recommend you rent the movie "A Day Without a Mexican". Without undocumented workers picking the fruits and vegatables there would literally be no food in the stores. BTW, if you think you have immigration problems in Oklahoma which is 85% white don't bother visiting SoCal which is >50% Latino. My uninsured motorists coverage in SoCal cost $51 a year. Not enough to really make a major difference in my yearly budget. Again I understand your frustration. However, if a White person had hit you with no license would you be posting how much White people suck? Maybe we should send them all back to England? BTW, they can arrest people for driving without a license, the cop was just being lazy:

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/Deli...p?CiteID=440143
I'm glad nobody was hurt. The problem is that those workers cannot get licenses and insurance without fear of being deported. We need them here because of the services they perform (as redondoman says), but they must live in constant fear of being treated like criminals. I have ZERO patience for legal residents who do not have licenses and proper insurance, but the political situation with immigration means these guys have to stay "off the grid." I have Libertarian leanings that suggest we should make it easy to be legal -- and then make them pay taxes, get drivers licenses, buy insurance, &c. This does not mean a new, legal resident would come in and be entitled to a generous social welfare program, but just that they could start along the path without being in constant fear of being treated like a criminal. Realistically, they are already coming here, the only question is whether we move them from the "underground economy" to mainstream society. This would be a better Land of Opportunity if we brought this class into the mainstream economy/ society, and I think that is consistent with the freedom that America fights for, in WWII and elsewhere.

If we did all that and people like this STILL didn't have insurance or licenses, and lied about their addresses, then we could be tough on them and they would have no excuse.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:25 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by oubmw' post='300106' date='Jun 20 2006, 02:33 AM
Update:

Number and address of the driver were definitely fake. The police are continuing to "investigate" the owner of the vehicle according to the plate #. I talked to a lawyer friend who loves to sue people and he even said it would be a waste of $ to even try. What would the owner pay with, tortillas? (his words not mine). Evidently it is incredibly difficult to garnish wages and auction off personal property to pay for judgments in civil court. Besides, I have come to terms with what has happened. Sometimes you get screwed. The more you have the more you stand to loose. Such is life. I alone will not change the current situation in this country. The only thing I can do is protect myself (and my car) with good insurance and even more careful driving practices.

The other posts offer great advice. Leave 2-3 car lengths in front of you when you come to a stop on the highway and keep a look out for fast approaching cars. That way you can scoot onto the shoulder to avoid the accident.

And yes the accident was on I35. There has been perpetual road construction on that Interstate in Oklahoma City for 10+ years.

The initial estimates on the car range from 4-6k. The body shop manager said that he seriously doubts it will be totaled.

Thanks for the sympathy. I am glad there is a forum with like minded men and women that can hear a long rant like mine and not say "it's just a car".
OuBMW, I'm glad you are not hurt both emotionally and physically to a great extent. Accidents like that might give you a whiplash and the symptoms may not appear until days or weeks later. See a physical therapist or a chiropractor. As for your baby (car), I hope the shop will fix her up well.

You have a very realistic look on the situation, and while I don't like lawyers that like to sue everything, I have to agree with him/her that if the person being sued has nothing to give up, you have nothing to gain or compensate. Most lawyers look at the money factor first and then justice because to them, justice has a price. Your are dead on: The more you have, the more you have to loss. :thumbsdown: