E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A very sad day

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 05:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a really horror scenario man....glad you weren't hurt in away.

One word of advice, and absolutely no disrespect to you man, but when you come to a complete stop on the interstate (highway) ALWAYS keep looking in your rear view mirrors, and even if you can't do much you can at least steer the car to the left or right in case a really big lorry or something is approaching you with speed. So you will not get crushed.

But this only works when you are alone in the car ofcourse...

Good luck man.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I can feel with you. I had a similar accident in 2001, where an uninsured Mexican driver with stolen license plates hit my 3 months old 525i in the freeway in IN. The guy then got out of his car, threw some stuff (wrench, handcuffs) at me and ran. But - he was injured and didn't get very far. The police acted exactly the same way, they were not willing to do ANYTHING!!!!!!! They just shrugged their shoulders and that was it.

Fortunately, I had uninsured motorist coverage and it worked out well.

Now - I am also an immigrant living in the US. But, I was stupid enough to get my own official SSN, pay taxes from day 1, follow all INS rules, filled out 300 million forms, couldn't leave the country for 3 years, had a INS doctor grab my balls and make me write my name etc. Why???????????????????????????? Just to be put by the press and many Americans (dumbass fraction...) in the same pot the illegal immigrants are in.....
Old 06-18-2006, 06:56 AM
JDN
Contributors

In Dallas, they would impound the perpetrator's vehicle. No insurance/no vehicle . . . and I do believe that the INS would take action in today's climate. I would follow up on that angle. The perps are criminals.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Members

Sorry to hear about your dilemna. The cop should've arrested the driver.
Regarding the truck driver in front of you, it seems like if there's any damage to his vehicle that he could actually sue you instead (since you're the one that ran into him?). I'm not sure how he would be responsible for your front-end damage since he wasn't at fault. Either way, Good Luck in getting your car fixed.

Edit: Never mind... I thought you were talking about suing the owner of the truck in front of you. After re-reading, I think you meant the owner of the truck that the illegal was driving. Good Luck with everything.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 330i, Monaco Blue, black leather, premium, cold weather, PDC, Logic 7

Sorry to hear about your car! Were you on I-40 or I-35? When we lived in Norman (10 years ago) there was neverending construction on I-35 and more accidents than I care to recall, although none that involved us.

Regarding the issue with illegals, I teach in an area of Tulsa which is 85% illegal Mexicans. I worry about accidents every day since it's obvious none of them have licenses or insurance. And how often do I see cops in the area? NEVER. They should be cruising those streets nonstop. Of course if they pull over a Hispanic driver, it is considered "profiling" so they don't dare, but I wish they'd get them off the street and let them walk or take the bus.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:19 AM
Senior Members

Well the attitude of the police is amazing - they TOLD you that they were illegal aliens and that they have probably given false details and DID NOTHING ABOUT IT.

Unreal - do you have a police complaints comission in the USA ?

What about traffic checks - UK police can call in and check the registration details of any vehicle from the roadside (including seeing if it is MOT'd / insured now).

Still - you weren't hurt and your insurance will pay for the car - so not all bad

Unfortunately, one of the previous posts about checking your mirrors is pretty sound advice. Our cars have GREAT brakes and I've been rear ended before when I had to pull up quickly. Too many drivers don't leave enough space.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

How this can be like this?!?!?! In Finland innocent will always get compensation. I actually like that law!

Only no good thing is that it will eventually effect everyones premiums!

Skaffa
Old 06-19-2006, 04:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i SMG Jet Black/Beige Sport/Prem/Cold, comfort, split, shades.

Sorry, I am angry for you. Gets you mad that the aliens have no accountability or you have no recourse to sue the company that is utilizing the cheap labor.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:15 AM
SRV
Members

Welcome to Los Estados Unidos. America has sold its soul. What did oiur forfathers fight for in WWII th rights of people to come to our land break our laws, pay no taxes and then have the gaul to protest in our streets and demand rights when they are criminals?

The sad thing is our polititions are unwilling to do anything about this issue. They are more interested in corporations ability to aquire cheap labor than the soveranty of America.

Sorry to here about your car but nothing is going to happen ubtil we vote these bought off polititions out of office.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i. 30% Huper Optik tint. Sirius.

Update:

Number and address of the driver were definitely fake. The police are continuing to "investigate" the owner of the vehicle according to the plate #. I talked to a lawyer friend who loves to sue people and he even said it would be a waste of $ to even try. What would the owner pay with, tortillas? (his words not mine). Evidently it is incredibly difficult to garnish wages and auction off personal property to pay for judgments in civil court. Besides, I have come to terms with what has happened. Sometimes you get screwed. The more you have the more you stand to loose. Such is life. I alone will not change the current situation in this country. The only thing I can do is protect myself (and my car) with good insurance and even more careful driving practices.

The other posts offer great advice. Leave 2-3 car lengths in front of you when you come to a stop on the highway and keep a look out for fast approaching cars. That way you can scoot onto the shoulder to avoid the accident.

And yes the accident was on I35. There has been perpetual road construction on that Interstate in Oklahoma City for 10+ years.

The initial estimates on the car range from 4-6k. The body shop manager said that he seriously doubts it will be totaled.

Thanks for the sympathy. I am glad there is a forum with like minded men and women that can hear a long rant like mine and not say "it's just a car".

Quick Reply: A very sad day