E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A very sad day

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 08:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i. 30% Huper Optik tint. Sirius.

As I was driving home from work 2 days ago traffic came to a stop at some road construction on a major interstate. I came to a complete stop, looked down at the iDrive screen to change the radio station and WHAM!! I got rear ended by a HUGE dodge truck. My car was then shoved under another HUGE truck. Nobody was hurt except my beautiful 1 year old 525. This is where the story takes a horrible turn. The guy I was shoved into (a businessman on his way home from work) and I got out and walked back to talk to the person who hit me. About 7 Hispanic people got out of the truck and just looked at us saying "no hablo ingles". We called the police and they came, took our information, and talked to the person who hit me. After about 15 minutes the cop says "hope you have good insurance, they are all illegal aliens and they have no ID or insurance, so all of the information they gave me is probably fake" He then proceeds to tell me that the only thing he can do is just give the driver a ticket for no ID/insurance and let them go because the INS will not do anything. He says my only option is to sue the owner of the truck (I have the plate number) and good luck with that!!! I am basically screwed. Luckily I have uninsured driver insurance but that is beside the point. These people (illegal aliens, undocumented visitors, criminals, whatever you want to call them) have NO consequences for their actions. All they have to do is make up a name if they ever get in trouble. They are "off the grid". The address and phone number they gave were fake as I tried to call and looked up the address on mapquest. The police officer I talked to said that they will not pursue the issue! Anyways, say what you will about the immigration issues in your various countries but I have been personally affected by the ineptness of my law enforcement in enforcing the law and the blatant disregard for the law these people show. My only advice is to get good insurance and a good lawyer because your government will not protect you, the hard working, tax paying, law abiding people. Sorry for the long rant.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Members

SORRY TO HEAR THAT!!!!

Hope that truck driver's insurance will cover everything man

and for those whatever "no english" people they are, man, I would request the cops to lock them up, at least they wouldn't be able to run away from this
Old 06-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Contributors

Sorry to hear that and thanks for the advice to many of us.

I can sense your frustration.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

[Rant]

Man this kind of stuff angers me. Sucks how us law abiding citizens cant get away with anything because we own stuff and if we hit anyone, that person will sue for all the money they can get and if injuries come into play and you didnt buy high enough coverage you'll have to end up selling your house or somthing to pay for their medical bills and follow up fees etc etc... BUT these kind of people "I cannot speak english" can get away with everything. Cuz they have nothing for you to sue them for!!

I can sense it now... someone who reads this will argue... "would you rather be them and not be able to own a E60" My answer "NO!" I would not rather be one of those and not be able to own all the stuff I currently have now BUT it's ridiculous how our government... local police... customs etc etc just let these things go.

Since they are caught lock them up for a few days and throw them back to their country! Actually why waste cell space and food just throw them back to their country!

HOW can they just be let free and wander around so they can go break into a house to steal or rob the next person that comes by or hit another car? Seriously throw them back to their own country. If they want a better life in the US then come here legally!! And if they can't then go back to the country where they have citizenship and make the best of it. (* Thats my opinion *)

It sucks how us, honest, people have to pay higher insurance rates because of these people... how we have to pay more local and federal tax cuz if they're ill or sick or injured and take up space at our hospitals that we have to pay it all.

Deport all these illegal aliens out of here.

The wonderful world of US Government... Waaaay too nice sometimes *sigh*

[/Rant]
Old 06-18-2006, 12:41 AM
Members

Getting hit sucks, I understand your frustration. I really don't want to turn a car forum into a political forum, but since you brought it up... Believe it or not there are lot's of legal residents / citizens who have no insurance and lot's of undocumented workers that would buy it if they could legally get a drivers license. Again I understand your anger, but can we really blame people coming from piss poor countries trying to better their lives? Maybe if we admit that our economy relies on undocumented workers the rest of Bush's party would back his plan for a guest worker program. I find it interesting that all my neighbors talk crap about undocumented workers, yet every single one of them has a non-citizen/resident gardener, maid and/or nanny. I recommend you rent the movie "A Day Without a Mexican". Without undocumented workers picking the fruits and vegatables there would literally be no food in the stores. BTW, if you think you have immigration problems in Oklahoma which is 85% white don't bother visiting SoCal which is >50% Latino. My uninsured motorists coverage in SoCal cost $51 a year. Not enough to really make a major difference in my yearly budget. Again I understand your frustration. However, if a White person had hit you with no license would you be posting how much White people suck? Maybe we should send them all back to England? BTW, they can arrest people for driving without a license, the cop was just being lazy:

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/Deli...p?CiteID=440143
Old 06-18-2006, 01:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

OMG :'( that does REALLY not sound good

how fast was that bas**** when you were re ended by him? i hope not as fast so that your car is - i don't want to enunciate it - totaled :'(
Old 06-18-2006, 01:19 AM
Members

My Ride: e39 525i Touring, will order e61 as soon as I can decide on engine and options...

One way to minimise the consequences of such an accident could be to introduce a compulsory traffic insurance system as we have in Sweden.

All vehicles are insured in case of damage to other vehicle. This is compulsory to the owner of the vehicle. If he/she does not pay, he/she is automatically fined and the car/truck is taken out of traffic.

So in Sweden, if you are hit by a car or truck, irrespective of who is the driver and their immigration/drivers licence/religion/color of skin you can be sure that you will be reimbursed.

Good system, less conflicts.

/M
Old 06-18-2006, 01:36 AM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Sad story!

It's even so here in Sweden that if the car owner have not paid the compulsory traffic insurence, the car is reported to a membergroup the insurence companys have and it takes over the paying of traffic insurence so the damaged part gets free.

I hope it all gets solved for you in the best way.

Regarding aliens... I don't understand why the police didn't take em in and register them all? Maybe I have seen to much of CSI, but it could have been a group of murderers on tour!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

sorry to hear that
Old 06-18-2006, 05:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Orient Blue, Auburn Int. Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Satellite Radio, Logic 7 , Nav... European Delivery 3/21/05 Redelivery 6/1/05.

Really sorry to hear about your accident. I can really empathize with you. It is so frustrating to see people get away with stuff that you know you would not be able too! This reminds me of something I read the other day. "Why must I press 1 to hear English?" Makes you wonder.

Quick Reply: A very sad day