E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A very big thank you to members who responded to me

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Mr. PhD!

Very happy that you like your 535! Wishing you best of luck with the new car!
Old 07-29-2009, 06:27 AM
Contributors

Cheers and welcome! Owning a BMW is really an experience. I couldn't help but become an enthusiast after a short period of time and I never had that with any other car.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 (01/05 Build) Titanium Silver Metallic 530i, Black Dakota Leather Interior w/Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Cold, Premium & Sport Packages, Steptronic, Bluetooth MODS: OEM 166's (M5 Offset) on General's (245/35 & 275/30), 15mm H&R Spacers, Auxiliary Audio Input, 6000K Xenon Headlights and Matching HID Fogs, AIB v3.0, SprintBooster, OEM LED License Plate Bulbs, Smoked LED Side Markers, Matte Black Kidney Grills

Congrats Doc...enjoy!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 AM
Contributors

Hello and welcome, you have made the right choice
Old 07-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 545I SPORTS SUPENSION DINAN CAI DINAN STAGE 2 WISH LIST: RPI SCOOPS BODY KIT NEW FEET (RIMS)

Originally Posted by consultingdoc' post='957379' date='Jul 28 2009, 09:05 PM
I look forward to driving to work and driving home, but remain disappointed that there's a gap of 11 or so hours between the two opportunities to drive!
I really want to spend time driving this car.
IMO driving a BMW is like being addicted to drugs. I'm always feigning for a fix! LoL
Old 07-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530i

congrats! u wont regret it
Old 07-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

congrats! valkkomen!!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Lexus RX330. Looking to buy 2010 535i.

1. Your kind words illustrate another aspect of buying a Bimmer that I discovered -- one isn't just buying a car, one is buying into a community of BMW owners - clearly a select group of very smart, technologically-sophisticated, independent-minded, kind-hearted men (and women) with sophisticated and specific tastes. Y'all impress me as being very independent thinkers and doers, yet, at the same time, gregarious enough to want to affiliate with like-minded people, and sufficiently unselfish to be willing to spend time offering advice, answering questions and, in general, helping out similar-minded members of this select club. Bravo to y'all, and I hope I merit membership in this group.

2. May I express my first opinion (my being as -if not more - opinionated than average)? What is this issue with cupholders? I think the cupholders are just fine. First of all, they are thoughtfully positioned off to the side. Most autos have the cupholders positioned in or over the center console to make it easier to spill hot coffee and sticky sodas directly into the center shift mechanism, as well as the driver's lap. My BMW cupholder is positioned over the front passenger's floor mat, so that if there's a spill, it dirties the floor mat and does little other damage. Also, cups fit into the cupholder, which supports them, making the cups more stable than in other types of cars, where the cups simply stand in a well, with minimal support.
Secondly, the biggest cups I stick in my cupholder are Starbucks Ventes, which fit quite nicely and snugly. I've also found that small water bottles fit well, too. I don't think it's safe or healthful to be drinking out of a half gallon 7-11 Slurpee cup, that is just asking to be spilled.
So, I like the cupholders. I think they're well designed and well positioned -- a nice design feature that testifies to the thoughtfulness of the engineers who designed this rocketship.
Anyone agree or disagree - and why?

3. I do agree that there is near zip storage space in this auto. On the positive side, that keeps me from storing, books, magazines, cd's, tissue boxes, tools, large flashlights, 2 million candlepower spotlights, tire pressure gauges, notebooks, pens and pencils that don't write, multiple cases for eye- and sun-glasses, and assorted other crap that I used to keep in the glove compartments and center consoles of all my previous vehicles. My wife has commented that she's never seen me keep such a neat, uncluttered and clean car. Y'all are probably the only ones who would understand why I went to an art store the other day and bought half-a-dozen artists brushes (camel hair, not nylon bristles) of varying sizes, to use (already have) to clean the dust from the gauge display and other nooks and crannies in the cockpit. This car is a joy to behold as well as a thrill to drive.

4. Thanks again for welcoming me to your exclusive club.
kpp
Old 07-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by consultingdoc' post='958302' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:22 PM
2. May I express my first opinion (my being as -if not more - opinionated than average)? What is this issue with cupholders? I think the cupholders are just fine. First of all, they are thoughtfully positioned off to the side. Most autos have the cupholders positioned in or over the center console to make it easier to spill hot coffee and sticky sodas directly into the center shift mechanism, as well as the driver's lap. My BMW cupholder is positioned over the front passenger's floor mat, so that if there's a spill, it dirties the floor mat and does little other damage. Also, cups fit into the cupholder, which supports them, making the cups more stable than in other types of cars, where the cups simply stand in a well, with minimal support.
Secondly, the biggest cups I stick in my cupholder are Starbucks Ventes, which fit quite nicely and snugly. I've also found that small water bottles fit well, too. I don't think it's safe or healthful to be drinking out of a half gallon 7-11 Slurpee cup, that is just asking to be spilled.
So, I like the cupholders. I think they're well designed and well positioned -- a nice design feature that testifies to the thoughtfulness of the engineers who designed this rocketship.
Anyone agree or disagree - and why?

pp
I agree that the E60's cupholders are fine for most uses. The E39's were a complete joke and could not hold anything without the drink tipping over, meaning that I had to buy an aftermarket cupholder known as an Ultimate Cupholder that, IMHO, was hardly the ultimate cupholder. My 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport has bigger cupholders and much more storage space than my 550 but was not the driver's car my 550 is. Give me a thrilling drive any day over cupholders that can fit a Super Big Gulp -- it's not like we bought a minivan.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by consultingdoc' post='957347' date='Jul 28 2009, 07:43 PM
Back in May, I posted a number of questions about BMW's, especially the 5 series, and a significant number of members responded, some of you with lengthy and thoughtful answers - and I want to thank you all for your time and willingness to share your knowledge and experiences.

Since January, I had been researching new cars in order to decide between purchasing a Lexus LS460 (or GS350) or buying a new BMW 535i (or possibly a used 2007 or 2008 750i), in order to replace my 2005 Lexus RX330. I read Bimmer magazine and everything I could find online. The majority of what I read online was complaints about this or that breaking on BMW's, and complaints about insolent or even refusal of service at dealerships. The members of this group who were kind enough to share your experiences with me convinced me that BMW made outstanding cars, which did not necessarily fall apart after two years. In addition, Mike Miller, of Bimmer magazine has written a lengthy essay (available in pdf form by requesting same from him) advocating the traditional and effective way of maintaining the car, which would be likely to keep it alive for 200k miles (or more). In addition, I learned about extended warranties available from GEICO and from BMW dealerships, that would extend coverage to 6 years or 100,000 miles (in the case of GEICO, up to 100k miles, with no calendar restrictions).

To make a long story short, on June 20th I became the owner (not lessee) of a white 535i, auto trans., premium pkg., sport pkg, comfort pkg, nav, Sirius, beige interior with anthracite wood, run-flat tires. I changed the oil and filter at 1400 miles and now have around 1600 miles on the odometer. IMHO, it's rare in life to get involved with someone or buy something that turns out as good as you anticipated. In this case, this car is exactly what I wanted (a sports car that is large enough to be comfortable for 5 people with a reasonable trunk) and, perhaps, more than I expected. You all know what the ride is like, so I don't have to describe it. This is an exciting, luxurious, driver's car, which is better insulated and quieter than a Lexus LS460. In addition, the service at Moritz BMW, where I bought the car, in Arlington, TX, has been superb and all the people with whom I've come in contact friendly, warm, helpful, smart and professional. Contrary to my fears, the dealership did not refuse to change my oil early (I paid for the unscheduled service, of course); they have been more than helpful. For prep and minor warranty work, they picked up my car, left me a loaner and then dropped off my car after servicing.

I understand, now, why y'all have a BMW motor club, and blogs and websites like this. Buying a BMW is not purchasing a vehicle that transports you from home to work, it is purchasing an experience - a fantastic, exciting, satisfying experience, that makes me feel young again, and alive (which, coming after 7 months of a chronic illness and serious pharmacological treatment is no small matter).

I look forward to continuing an online relationship with y'all, and do, once again, thank you for helping me make the right decision in buying this 535i, which, in my humble opinion is - to coin a phrase - the ultimate driving machine.

best wishes to all,
Ken Price, Ph.D.

Ken Price of NM, or former of NM?

Quick Reply: A very big thank you to members who responded to me