E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Are "version" updates considered recalls?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I brought my car in this morning for the fuel clip recall. Knowing there are some other issues I told my SA to fix all known problems while it was in (kill six birds with one rock). When I sat down with the SA he said there were two items the computer spit out to be fixed. The fuel clip and a "reprogramming" of the ecu unit (I'm thinking to myself oh boy here we go). These two items were recognized in the computer as known problems when they matched my vin #.

So BMW does'nt notify people of version changes. They wait untill there is a problem? My guess is that there may be a lot of people out there that simply dismiss the small problems, or don't come to this site to find out about problems they never knew they had.

Are loaners given to customers that want/need version updates?

The fuel clip issue did not warrant a loaner so I would have had to hang around the showroom for about a 1/2 hour for the quick fix. As soon as I saw the ecu programming I knew a loaner was called for so I hit him with the headlight bracket (one cracked) which he knew nothing about. Then I brought up the fact that my voice command for the phone will not recognize the number 4.

So yes they rolled out my loaner..........a dodge magnum.............. wagon, what a pig!

Finally I told him about the lighter being broken. The lighter had never been used but last weekend we needed to light off a sky rocket and it was the only fire we had, went to use it and it would not work

Don't think I'll be seeing her today, and I hope V12.?.? does'nt wreck what worked......we shall see.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

jxtc, some more detail on the ecu unit reprogramming. I was in for the fuel line, but no one mentioned this. curious what it fixes.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

Honestly I don't really know. I have had very good experiences with the tech guys at my dealership, so I just turned the car over to them and did'nt ask any Q's. I will find out the specifics when I pick it up tomorrow, as well as the version number of the new software.

One caveat to this story however is that my ECU got toasted one week after I took delivery of the car.......back in march I believe. May have something to do with it ....or maybe not
Old 08-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Maybe the reprogramming is the (currently stopped) airbag recall.
Because what BMW actually told the dealers to do is to reprogramm it and that takes 3-4 hours. Maybe your dealer has seen that in the system and has done that now, without knowing that it doesn't solve the problem...?!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Contributors

Does ECU programing require a complete reload of the software or can they tweek individual items?
Old 08-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 10 2004, 02:49 PM
without knowing that it doesn't solve the problem...?!
Old 08-10-2004, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

My SA just called, it is a DME reprogramming, not an ECU reprogramming. What's the difference?
Old 08-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Hell, I'm still working on my ABC's. But when you talk to him again, try and find out what it is supposed to correct. Doesn't sound like you had any problems and I'm not having any, but if they thought it neccesary, I'd like to know why. Thx