E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ventilation smells like sweat

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 11:14 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 Sedan
Default Ventilation smells like sweat

So.... im back at BMW since a month now. it is a 525i from 2005.
very nice car and much more comfort than my e46.

now the issue;
Last week the car got a transmission flush en a new oilpan gasket.
nothing to worry about and car runs fine. also shifts smoother.

But.... i smell a very nasty air coming out of the ventilation when i stop at a trafficlight or something like that. it smells like sweaty feets.
Could this be a leak somewhere? coolingliquid? i dont see traces under the hood of a leak or losing oil or coolingliqiud.

Or is it my airconditioning that need a refresh?
hope u guys can place the smell.

sorry if my english is incorrect
Old 01-07-2015, 12:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N62

Did you change out your cabin filters?
Old 01-07-2015, 01:37 PM
New Members

Not yet... the smell was starting after the called repairs. But i hope it has nothing to do with that.

Tommorow i will look for the filters.
but i bet they are clean.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:18 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528i
Default Be Oh No

Sounds like the BO episode of Seinfeld.

He ended up getting rid of the car...
Old 01-07-2015, 02:40 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

change out your cabin filters, and spray some BG 'frigi-fresh' into the vents. You likely have mildew in the ductwork. It's pretty common on all cars these days.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 550i Sport Package
Default Scrubbing Bubbles!!

It's likely caused by mildew in the AC condenser. Check to make sure the drain in the AC system is not clogged. There should be a puddle of condensation water under the car after running he AC. If the drain is clear, you can then Eliminate the odor by spying a liberal amount of BC Frige Fresh or Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner (cheaper but still good) into the air intake of your Ventilation system while the car and AC are running on max. The air intake is below the cabin air filters. Just remove the filters and run the AC on max while spraying the cleaner in there. It will suck it up. Be sure to keep the area clear of debris. You only want the cleaner sucked into the system-- not any clothing, nuts or bolts! Be sure that the system is drawing fresh air-- not recirculating. Then let the cabin air out over night with windows open. In the future, turn off AC 5 min or so before you stop car and just run the vent with fresh air to avoid mildew build up.

Or, try this but it seems difficult: http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/AC/smell.htm

Good luck.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:14 AM
New Members

I just ordered Forte airco cleaner, same idea comes with a hose so you can reach the condensator? in english?.. i will check my drains for sure first. hope its the solution. ik will let you know.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by RFAC
I just ordered Forte airco cleaner, same idea comes with a hose so you can reach the condensator? in english?.. i will check my drains for sure first. hope its the solution. ik will let you know.
Not the condenser, the evaporator. and no, you don't want to be shooting anything actually into the evaporator.

Condenser = in front of the radiator at the nose of the car
Evaporator = in the evaporator case behind the dash.

the evaporator case and HVAC ductwork is where mildew builds up. your drain is likely not plugged, but definitely check it if you are NOT seeing a puddle of water underneath the car after running the A/C for extended periods of time. if you are seeing water, that's good; it means condensation that builds up on the evaporator is draining into the case, and onto the ground.

take your product, and spray it directly into the vents. follow the directions on the container. this is a very common problem for all modern cars, and is easy to resolve (usually).
Old 01-09-2015, 05:36 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 550i Sport Package

Originally Posted by KyleB
Not the condenser, the evaporator. and no, you don't want to be shooting anything actually into the evaporator.

Condenser = in front of the radiator at the nose of the car
Evaporator = in the evaporator case behind the dash.

the evaporator case and HVAC ductwork is where mildew builds up. your drain is likely not plugged, but definitely check it if you are NOT seeing a puddle of water underneath the car after running the A/C for extended periods of time. if you are seeing water, that's good; it means condensation that builds up on the evaporator is draining into the case, and onto the ground.

take your product, and spray it directly into the vents. follow the directions on the container. this is a very common problem for all modern cars, and is easy to resolve (usually).
How does spraying into the vents allow the cleaner to penetrate into the duct work and evaporator where the mildew has grown? The vent is the output. I have read in several places to shoot the mildew cleaner into the air intake, and I have personally performed the service a couple times with success. I'm told that this is what the dealer or Indy would do for $100+. Doing it yourself with some scrubbing bubbles is easy and cheap. The cleaner runs through the system and most is drained out, so long as the drain is clear. I think that's right.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Both steps could work. However, I had the same odor problem for almost a month since noticed. Luckily, changing the air cabin filters and "lightly" sprayed lysol into the output vents fixed the problem. OP, I would take the less drastic route first before I have to necessarily waste more time or money. In any case, the problem is fixable!

Good luck!

Originally Posted by psam550
How does spraying into the vents allow the cleaner to penetrate into the duct work and evaporator where the mildew has grown? The vent is the output. I have read in several places to shoot the mildew cleaner into the air intake, and I have personally performed the service a couple times with success. I'm told that this is what the dealer or Indy would do for $100+. Doing it yourself with some scrubbing bubbles is easy and cheap. The cleaner runs through the system and most is drained out, so long as the drain is clear. I think that's right.

Last edited by E60I; 01-09-2015 at 07:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Ventilation smells like sweat