E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Vent slats on rearview mirror housing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i - ACS front lip, red calipers, hardwired Bel RX65, Satechi A2DP setup, Ram magnetic mount for HTC Kaiser, 40% tint, euro stickers, carbon filter removed (all within 3 weeks of picking up the car. I love this forum! =) NEXT: sprint booster

Hope someone can help me. I searched already with no luck. tried lots of variations on the title.

On the far part of the rearview mirror housing (part that faces away from you - part that is perpendicular to the windshield) there are vent slats.

What are these for? more importantly, can i block them?

I am attaching my E-Zpass (which I painted textured black to match the rearview mirror housing) to the windshield and I want to put it at the bottom where the housing ends (so it looks like an extension of the rearview mirror). this blocks most of that vent.

am i blocking anything important?

THANK YOU.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by jinro1' post='626166' date='Jul 16 2008, 09:40 PM
Hope someone can help me. I searched already with no luck. tried lots of variations on the title.

On the far part of the rearview mirror housing (part that faces away from you - part that is perpendicular to the windshield) there are vent slats.

What are these for? more importantly, can i block them?

I am attaching my E-Zpass (which I painted textured black to match the rearview mirror housing) to the windshield and I want to put it at the bottom where the housing ends (so it looks like an extension of the rearview mirror). this blocks most of that vent.

am i blocking anything important?

THANK YOU.
You might be blocking the light-sensor for the rear-view as well as your side-view mirrors. I made this mistake mounting my toll-tag there. Initially I placed it over these "holes/slats" and both of my side and rear view mirrors dimmed, which became useless during daytime driving. Mount it on the driver-side and you should be fine.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i - ACS front lip, red calipers, hardwired Bel RX65, Satechi A2DP setup, Ram magnetic mount for HTC Kaiser, 40% tint, euro stickers, carbon filter removed (all within 3 weeks of picking up the car. I love this forum! =) NEXT: sprint booster

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='626169' date='Jul 16 2008, 10:45 PM
You might be blocking the light-sensor for the rear-view as well as your side-view mirrors. I made this mistake mounting my toll-tag there. Initially I placed it over these "holes/slats" and both of my side and rear view mirrors dimmed, which became useless during daytime driving. Mount it on the driver-side and you should be fine.
the sensors for the dimmer are located on the front and back of the mirror itself not the housing behind it so I don't think that's the purpose of those slats.

but i'll do a test and tape over them during the day to see if mirrors darken. Thanks.

Anyone know for sure what it's for?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Contributors

Post a pic of the part you're talking about... that might help us trying to help you
Old 07-17-2008, 06:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I think this is what he is referring to. I got this pic from the DIY Section.
Attached Thumbnails Vent slats on rearview mirror housing?-mirror2.jpg  
Old 07-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi Monaco Blue Dark Burl Walnut Black Leather Comfort Package Sports Package Cold Weather Package Nav Logic 7 18" Sport Wheels Xenon Interior and License Plate Light Upgrade

Rain sensor? Just a guess
Old 07-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Hyper_545i' post='626447' date='Jul 17 2008, 10:28 AM
I think this is what he is referring to. I got this pic from the DIY Section.
Thank you Hyper!!! that's exactly what i'm talking about. those vents at the bottom.

The lens is the rain sensor. the little sensor on the back of the mirror itself is one of two autodimming sensors.

now does anyone know what those vents do?

i'm starting to sense it's just for ventilation for the electronics housed in that unit but I guess I just want to make sure blocking it isn't a big deal.

anyone?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jinro1' post='626612' date='Jul 17 2008, 12:42 PM
Thank you Hyper!!! that's exactly what i'm talking about. those vents at the bottom.

The lens is the rain sensor. the little sensor on the back of the mirror itself is one of two autodimming sensors.

now does anyone know what those vents do?

i'm starting to sense it's just for ventilation for the electronics housed in that unit but I guess I just want to make sure blocking it isn't a big deal.

anyone?

Thanks.
I check this morning, and found the vents you were referring to. I'm guessing they're simply for ventilation. Alternatively, why don't you mount your tag on the back of your rear-view mirror (driver-side). Since you've already painted it black, it'll be less conspicuous that way. Just use double-sided Velcro strips. It should still work with the tag sensors.

Just a suggestion...
Old 07-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='626616' date='Jul 17 2008, 01:46 PM
I check this morning, and found the vents you were referring to. I'm guessing they're simply for ventilation. Alternatively, why don't you mount your tag on the back of your rear-view mirror (driver-side). Since you've already painted it black, it'll be less conspicuous that way. Just use double-sided Velcro strips. It should still work with the tag sensors.

Just a suggestion...
Yeah, I'm actually attaching both the E-Zpass and a radar detector and looking for the best place to put them.

aesthetically, the ezpass as an extension of the mirror housing looks the best and most inconspicuous - like it's supposed to be there.

but i guess i might just play it safe. i don't want anything overheating and starting to smoke on me. =)

thanks all.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jinro1' post='626822' date='Jul 17 2008, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I'm actually attaching both the E-Zpass and a radar detector and looking for the best place to put them.

aesthetically, the ezpass as an extension of the mirror housing looks the best and most inconspicuous - like it's supposed to be there.

but i guess i might just play it safe. i don't want anything overheating and starting to smoke on me. =)

thanks all.
Here's where I installed my radar and toll tag (ez-pass for you folks)
http://picasaweb.google.com/frankche...oe/2004BMW545i

Note, I haven't painted my tag black yet, so it's white as you see it there.

Quick Reply: Vent slats on rearview mirror housing?