E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Vehicle will not start

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray / Steptronic / Sport Package w/ active steering, adaptive xenons, sport seats, 18" style 124 wheels / Logic 7 sound / PDC / Bluetooth / iPod Integration

Originally Posted by Blackonblackonblack' post='471320' date='Sep 19 2007, 04:33 AM
PJMAN,

Thanks for the service bulletin. As of tonight, my battery is dead for the 4th time within a couple of months. The dealer's replaced it once. But now I do recall charging my cell phone via the cigarette lighter...I may have left it plugged in after turning the ignition off...but can't be 100% sure. Fortunately, I know the tech and emailed the SIB to him. I will also show it to my new SA tomorrow. Too bad, I liked my old SA...but he quit to go do something else.

Thanks again!
Glad to be of assistance!! Hopefully this thread will prevent others from experiencing this headache. I'm still a little peeved that BMW is not communicating this to their customers.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Members

Glad to hear that you were able to fix the problem.
My chargers don't work when the ignition is turned off in my '04 545i.
Is this something new in the '05s?
Old 09-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by marc545i' post='471758' date='Sep 19 2007, 06:36 PM
Glad to hear that you were able to fix the problem.
My chargers don't work when the ignition is turned off in my '04 545i.
Is this something new in the '05s?

Marc,

My 2004's the same...when I've left the charger in the cigarette lighter after turning off the car, the light on the charger shuts off...but I guess the battery still drains somehow. I know something's up when I can hearthe 6 CD's cycling through each CD even after the ignition is off...with no key! Car's in the shop now...will let ya'll know the outcome. This is the 4TH time...doesn't it qualify as a LEMON under the Lemon Law? Already considering a replacement...even if I lose $$$ on the return/refund.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Members

never mind i saw that you fixed it
Old 10-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray / Steptronic / Sport Package w/ active steering, adaptive xenons, sport seats, 18" style 124 wheels / Logic 7 sound / PDC / Bluetooth / iPod Integration

Well, isn't this special. BMWNA would not approve the software upgrade that is approved in the SB below. I have just contacted BMWNA Customer Relations and explained the situation. They are going to contact the service manager and get back to me. I'l let you know how this shakes out but I am not a real happy customer at this point. Oh yeah, when I took the car in for this problem the first time a month ago the battery was fine, now all of a sudden the battery has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Between this crap and the transmission having to be reprogramed I am starting to wonder just how reliable this car is going to be. I have only owned the car for 6 months and it has already been to the shop on 3 different occasions for a total of 7 days. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Correction - I also had to take the car in shortly after buying it to have the sump pump replaced. So the car has actually been in the shop 4 times for a total of 9 days.

Originally Posted by PJMAN' post='470082' date='Sep 16 2007, 10:34 PM
Well isn't this special!! I just found this service bulletin in another thread after doing a search on MPM.

SI B 61 12 05
General Electrical Systems November 2005
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.M. B61 203 05 dated April 1, 2005.

SUBJECT
Dead Battery Caused By MPM

MODEL
E60/E61 (5 Series), E63/E64 (6 Series) produced up to September 2005

CAUSE
An accessory plugged into the cigar lighter / power supply causes a back-feed of voltage into the vehicle electrical system when the ignition is switched off. This causes the MPM (Micro Power Module) to stay awake, and the vehicle battery to discharge.

Energy diagnosis identifies the MPM as the "sleep mode preventer".

CORRECTION
In case of customer complaint, verify that the customer uses the power supply for an accessory with an internal battery (cell phone with charger, MP3 player, radio equipment etc.) and that he leaves the accessory plugged in when the car is switched off.

To avoid a recurrence of the problem, reprogram the vehicle using CIP19.1, or later. Refer to SI B09 05 01 (Coding, Individualization and Programming) Procedure B.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not only did I use the air compressor but I also used the lighter plug to charge my cell phone for the first time this past week. How the hell is anyone supposed to know not to do this when it does not cause a problem with 99.999% of other makes. I have done this for years with my Volvo and Toyota. I don't want to jump to conclusions but my money is on this being the cause and something that BMW should have notified their customers about.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by PJMAN' post='482330' date='Oct 16 2007, 11:44 AM
Well, isn't this special. BMWNA would not approve the software upgrade that is approved in the SB below. I have just contacted BMWNA Customer Relations and explained the situation. They are going to contact the service manager and get back to me. I'l let you know how this shakes out but I am not a real happy customer at this point. Oh yeah, when I took the car in for this problem the first time a month ago the battery was fine, now all of a sudden the battery has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Between this crap and the transmission having to be reprogramed I am starting to wonder just how reliable this car is going to be. I have only owned the car for 6 months and it has already been to the shop on 3 different occasions for a total of 7 days. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Correction - I also had to take the car in shortly after buying it to have the sump pump replaced. So the car has actually been in the shop 4 times for a total of 9 days.
Ouch, pjman...that surely is NOT good reliability - no matter what make of car it is. I hope you get this sorted out quickly and that BMW steps up and keeps you happy!! I sure hope my new 535i comes trouble free.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by PJMAN' post='482330' date='Oct 16 2007, 02:44 PM

Update - after a run around with BMWNA, and what I am now perceiving as poor service from my SA and the shop manager, I just got off the phone with my local service manager and the SB did the trick. Let's just say that the dealers and BMWNA are not real excited about how easy it is for customers to access SB information. The internet is the great leveler. He even admitted that he has seen this issue on several occasions, imagine that , and felt for sure that the software upgrade would solve the problem. Thanks to this board and some serious perseverance on my part, the issue will be resolved to my satisfaction or at least it appears it will be. However, this was way more difficult than it should have been. Let's just say it is a good thing this car is such a joy to drive or I would be moving on. I think I am going to be having a little chat with my SA tomorrow morning when I pick up a loaner.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Contributors

This thread started on Sept 16, the exact day I brought my car in for the battery drain issue, (for the 4th time)! I went in to pick up the car today, finally, just to find out the dealer, (or body shop), put ac ouple dings on my right front rims! So, I had to ask for my loaner back while they re-finish my rim. The final verdict on the battery issue: battery acid spilled under the battery causing the drain. The acid ate through the battery pan and the pan below that, so the car had to go to the body shop for the pans to be replaced! 30+ days in for repairs as of today and still in!!! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Old 10-17-2007, 01:31 AM
Members

Guys,

This thread has brought back memories.

About 6 months We all went a long drive to visit relations. My daughter took her Nintendo DS with her.I had to recharge it through the cars auxiliary power supply a couple of times.

One sunday morning not long after, My car developed the same symptom. I put My multi-meter on and the battery was dead.

Result= jump start and drive to battery supplier who confirmed and promptly supplied Me with new battery at considerable cost to myself.

This is a great forum.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Senior Members

It's shocking how many dealers cannot find things through SIBs. Must be something poorly designed in this system or they simply do not care.

Quick Reply: Vehicle will not start