E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Vehicle will not start

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray / Steptronic / Sport Package w/ active steering, adaptive xenons, sport seats, 18" style 124 wheels / Logic 7 sound / PDC / Bluetooth / iPod Integration

Originally Posted by cocy00' post='470065' date='Sep 16 2007, 09:09 PM
I think its the MPM. Maybe there is water in your spare tire well. The MPM are notoriously prone to short and concume power when it is wet.
Not sure what MPM stands for but I cannot find any sign of water in the trunk or the spare tire well.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by PJMAN' post='470070' date='Sep 16 2007, 08:40 PM
Not sure what MPM stands for but I cannot find any sign of water in the trunk or the spare tire well.
MPM (Micro Power Module) its white box the size of a cigarete box, under the floor board of the trunk. It controls the charge to the battery from the alternator... in my case it leaked power and caused the battery to drain. Its white with a black socket...
Old 09-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by cocy00' post='470072' date='Sep 16 2007, 08:45 PM
MPM (Micro Power Module) its white box the size of a cigarete box, under the floor board of the trunk. It controls the charge to the battery from the alternator... in my case it leaked power and caused the battery to drain. Its white with a black socket...
Do a search on MPM.... its been discussed before.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

My money is on the battery,.......my 530 did that to me a while back. You only get one warning that it's about to die.....yours was when it 'bearley started'. If you are handy with tools, remove the battery, take it with you to your dealer's parts department (it's a little less $ if you bring the old one) buy a new one, & install it yourself. (+ to + and - to - and don't forget to attach the little vent hose) Will save you time & money.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray / Steptronic / Sport Package w/ active steering, adaptive xenons, sport seats, 18" style 124 wheels / Logic 7 sound / PDC / Bluetooth / iPod Integration

Well isn't this special!! I just found this service bulletin in another thread after doing a search on MPM.

SI B 61 12 05
General Electrical Systems November 2005
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.M. B61 203 05 dated April 1, 2005.

SUBJECT
Dead Battery Caused By MPM

MODEL
E60/E61 (5 Series), E63/E64 (6 Series) produced up to September 2005

CAUSE
An accessory plugged into the cigar lighter / power supply causes a back-feed of voltage into the vehicle electrical system when the ignition is switched off. This causes the MPM (Micro Power Module) to stay awake, and the vehicle battery to discharge.

Energy diagnosis identifies the MPM as the "sleep mode preventer".

CORRECTION
In case of customer complaint, verify that the customer uses the power supply for an accessory with an internal battery (cell phone with charger, MP3 player, radio equipment etc.) and that he leaves the accessory plugged in when the car is switched off.

To avoid a recurrence of the problem, reprogram the vehicle using CIP19.1, or later. Refer to SI B09 05 01 (Coding, Individualization and Programming) Procedure B.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not only did I use the air compressor but I also used the lighter plug to charge my cell phone for the first time this past week. How the hell is anyone supposed to know not to do this when it does not cause a problem with 99.999% of other makes. I have done this for years with my Volvo and Toyota. I don't want to jump to conclusions but my money is on this being the cause and something that BMW should have notified their customers about.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by PJMAN' post='470082' date='Sep 16 2007, 09:34 PM
Well isn't this special!! I just found this service bulletin in another thread after doing a search on MPM.

SI B 61 12 05
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.M. B61 203 05 dated April 1, 2005.

SUBJECT
MODEL
CAUSE
An accessory plugged into the cigar lighter / power supply causes a back-feed of voltage into the vehicle electrical system when the ignition is switched off. This causes the MPM (Micro Power Module) to stay awake, and the vehicle battery to discharge.

CORRECTION
In case of customer complaint, verify that the customer uses the power supply for an accessory with an internal battery (cell phone with charger, MP3 player, radio equipment etc.) and that he leaves the accessory plugged in when the car is switched off.

To avoid a recurrence of the problem, reprogram the vehicle using CIP19.1, or later. Refer to SI B09 05 01 (Coding, Individualization and Programming) Procedure B.

WARRANTY INFORMATION

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not only did I use the air compressor but I also used the lighter plug to charge my cell phone for the first time this past week. How the hell is anyone supposed to know not to do this when it does not cause a problem with 99.999% of other makes. I have done this for years with my Volvo and Toyota. I don't want to jump to conclusions but my money is on this being the cause and something that BMW should have notified their customers about.
+1. At least you get a free CIP upgrade you don't need to give an excuse for the upgrade, unlike some of us who go to all the lies to get it
Old 09-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

My money's still on a weak battery. It's possible that you already have software that's newer than the version that contained the MPM bug...
Old 09-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by PJMAN' post='470082' date='Sep 16 2007, 10:34 PM

SI B 61 12 05
Technical Service

SUBJECT
MODEL
CAUSE

CORRECTION

WARRANTY INFORMATION

I put my money in the right place. The battery was in great shape. The issue was leaving the cell phone charger plugged in while the the car is turned off. Shame on BMW for not making this flaw very well known to their owners. My SA did not know about the above SIB so I gave him the number and asked him to call me back after he had a chance to look into it. I guess the good news is that this will allow me to get the latest software version loaded for no charge and I didn't have to make up a bogus issue.

BTW, BMW's roadside assistance works very efficiently.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Glad to see you got it all sorted.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Contributors

PJMAN,

Thanks for the service bulletin. As of tonight, my battery is dead for the 4th time within a couple of months. The dealer's replaced it once. But now I do recall charging my cell phone via the cigarette lighter...I may have left it plugged in after turning the ignition off...but can't be 100% sure. Fortunately, I know the tech and emailed the SIB to him. I will also show it to my new SA tomorrow. Too bad, I liked my old SA...but he quit to go do something else.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Vehicle will not start