E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Vehicle will not start

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray / Steptronic / Sport Package w/ active steering, adaptive xenons, sport seats, 18" style 124 wheels / Logic 7 sound / PDC / Bluetooth / iPod Integration

Any thoughts on what may be the problem with my '05 545? I moved my car while washing it yesterday and 90 minutes later when I went to start it absolutely nothing except for a clicking sound which I assume is the starter, the headlights flash and the display by the speedometer goes haywire. I cannot imagine the battery has gone bad as the car has only been in service for 2 years.

Is BMW Roadside Assistance free during the full warranty period? I'll be calling them in the morning. Between the transmission having to be reprogrammed a few months ago and now this I must admit that I am getting a tad frustrated.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by PJMAN' post='469981' date='Sep 16 2007, 02:18 PM
Any thoughts on what may be the problem with my '05 545? I moved my car while washing it yesterday and 90 minutes later when I went to start it absolutely nothing except for a clicking sound which I assume is the starter, the headlights flash and the display by the speedometer goes haywire. I cannot imagine the battery has gone bad as the car has only been in service for 2 years.

Is BMW Roadside Assistance free during the full warranty period? I'll be calling them in the morning. Between the transmission having to be reprogrammed a few months ago and now this I must admit that I am getting a tad frustrated.
If you're still under factory wuarranty, just call BMW Roadside Assistance and they will send a flatbed to your place FREE.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by PJMAN' post='469981' date='Sep 16 2007, 02:18 PM

Could be the battery, despite only being two years old. Had a similar, unexplained failure in my old car after only two years. And yes, the BMW Roadside Assistance is free for the full 4 yr warranty period (here in the US at least). Give them a call...
Old 09-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

sorry to hear of your probs with the E60, i would suggest you contact bmw if you are under warranty, unless you have modded the engine?

hope it gets sorted for you...!

good luck
Old 09-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Sounds like it may be a battery problem. When you washed it, did you have the stereo on or when drying it, did you leave the doors open or the key on for a prolonged period?
Old 09-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray / Steptronic / Sport Package w/ active steering, adaptive xenons, sport seats, 18" style 124 wheels / Logic 7 sound / PDC / Bluetooth / iPod Integration

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='470006' date='Sep 16 2007, 04:43 PM
Sounds like it may be a battery problem. When you washed it, did you have the stereo on or when drying it, did you leave the doors open or the key on for a prolonged period?
Rudy - no to all of your questions. I did leave the doors open while vacuuming and cleaning windows but that would have been maybe 30 minutes. I did use a small air compressor that plugs into the lighter a week ago to add some air to the tires and when I went to start the car it barely started. At the time I thought it was strange but did not imagine the battery was going bad since the in service date is 9/05. The build date is 10/04 so the car obviously spent a bunch of time sitting on a dealer's lot. Not sure if that would contribute to such an early demise. I will find out tomorrow morning if the battery is dead after I call Roadside Assistance.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

i see were this is going,

i think the charge in the battery is crap or crapped out, as it has been stationery for long periods, i would suggest you get a new battery before persueing it further, i have a feeling that it is the battery after reading your post just now

Let me know by all means please..!!

good luck
Old 09-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I had a new battery installed in my old car about two years in -- clearly these cars know how to suck one dry!
Old 09-16-2007, 04:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='470033' date='Sep 16 2007, 05:57 PM
I had a new battery installed in my old car about two years in -- clearly these cars know how to suck one dry!
Let me guess, a new battery replacement service is not cheap and also not covered under the extended warranty service beyond 50K miles.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by PJMAN' post='470022' date='Sep 16 2007, 04:20 PM
Rudy - no to all of your questions. I did leave the doors open while vacuuming and cleaning windows but that would have been maybe 30 minutes. I did use a small air compressor that plugs into the lighter a week ago to add some air to the tires and when I went to start the car it barely started. At the time I thought it was strange but did not imagine the battery was going bad since the in service date is 9/05. The build date is 10/04 so the car obviously spent a bunch of time sitting on a dealer's lot. Not sure if that would contribute to such an early demise. I will find out tomorrow morning if the battery is dead after I call Roadside Assistance.
I think its the MPM. Maybe there is water in your spare tire well. The MPM are notoriously prone to short and concume power when it is wet.

Quick Reply: Vehicle will not start