E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Vehicle Check

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2011

While stopped at a long red light today and was going through the I-drive menus when I found out that the car was overdue for a "Vehicle Check". Does anyone know what this is? The car had its scheduled service and state inspection in May.

I also found out that a message was sent on May 31 about this and no one from my dealer contacted me. This is not unusual because in over two years with this car I have only had the service notification work once. Either the message is not getting through or my dealer is dropping the ball. Either way the service is worthless. In fact my SA didn't even know what I was referring to when I called him. Does this feature work for other owners.?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

It works for me.
When my car needed an oil change it contacted my dealer and they called me the next day.
If you just had your service done in May they have probably forgotten to reset this position.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

My "Vehicle Check" mileage appears to be in between the 2nd oil change (~30k miles) and Microfilter @ ~50K miles (looks to be about 40K). I have not reached it yet, but assume my system will call dealer and they will call me as it has done for each of the oil services so far. I expect it will be another "Standard Scope" and perhaps a few more checks into fluids and the like, but really I do not know what it should entail. How many oil services have u had? If you have had three they probably already did this. It may be as Iceman suggests, done as a routine with other things such as your oil change and they just did not reset it.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

Mine is telling me that I need to have a Vehicle Check in the next 900 miles, which would put me at right about 30000 miles. I imagine it's probably a fluid check, like what cobradav was saying, and probably an inspection of your suspension, allignment, wheels, and all your vehicles electronics just to make sure everything is functioning. That's my guess anyway, I'm going to take it in next week so I'll let you know, assuming you don't take yours in first.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:07 PM
Members

Just had mine done right on schedule at 37,000 miles. My SA said they do an end-to-end check and replace fluids/filters as needed.

For those that have driven BMWs for a while, it's the same as the old Inspection II service minus the oil change.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:50 AM
Members

Thanks for the info. I had the SA read the key yesterday afternoon and it turned up needing Standard Scope and Vehicle Check. The car just turned 30,000 miles and I guess that's what triggered the notice. I'll bring it in next Wednesday. So that's cleared up.

But I still have the issue with the automatic service notification system. My car says that the service info was sent and received on May 31. The dealers records show no receipt of the info. While I was there I had the car send the message again. Once more the I-drive said the info was sent and received but nothing showed up on the dealer computer. I have asked that they look into this when I bring the car in next week.

This service notification feature seems to be working for a lot of members here so there has to be a solution.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Wilchwitz' post='320967' date='Aug 10 2006, 07:50 AM
But I still have the issue with the automatic service notification system. My car says that the service info was sent and received on May 31. The dealers records show no receipt of the info. While I was there I had the car send the message again. Once more the I-drive said the info was sent and received but nothing showed up on the dealer computer. I have asked that they look into this when I bring the car in next week.

This service notification feature seems to be working for a lot of members here so there has to be a solution.
Has the service notification ever worked for other customers at the dealership? Do they even know how it works, etc.? I'm not familiar with exactly how the system works but it does work for me and my dealer. I doubt the car is contacting the dealer directly, it's more than likely sending the service request to some central system which is then forwarding the request to the dealership.

It probably forwards the information to the proper dealership based on whatever dealer it has on record (maybe the dealer that originally delivered the car or maybe the "preferred dealer" that you have set in the BMW owner's circle?) It's possible that either your dealer is clueless (quite possible) or the service notification request is being sent to the wrong dealership...
Old 08-10-2006, 09:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='321014' date='Aug 10 2006, 09:12 AM
Has the service notification ever worked for other customers at the dealership? Do they even know how it works, etc.? I'm not familiar with exactly how the system works but it does work for me and my dealer. I doubt the car is contacting the dealer directly, it's more than likely sending the service request to some central system which is then forwarding the request to the dealership.

It probably forwards the information to the proper dealership based on whatever dealer it has on record (maybe the dealer that originally delivered the car or maybe the "preferred dealer" that you have set in the BMW owner's circle?) It's possible that either your dealer is clueless (quite possible) or the service notification request is being sent to the wrong dealership...
Rudy, these are all excellent questions. My SA, who is new to this dealership, had no idea what I was talking about. Luckily, a young lady came by who knew the program. She is the one who checks the computer daily to make the calls to customers. So evidently it does work for others. And it did work for me once.

I have not changed dealers. This one is on record as my dealer in all the records for notification. But I will review all of this when I go in next week.