E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Valve cover replacement issue *HELP*

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 12:40 PM
New Members

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

The 4x4 malfunction light should usually come on any time that you disconnect the battery (which I'm hoping you did since you had the fuel lines disconnected) since the steering angle sensor has lost track of where the wheel is. Turning the steering wheel from lock to lock should take that away. A lot of the suggestions about brake cleaner shouldn't be all that relevant since this is a forced induction N54 and there is very little vacuum has to do with anything, and the vacuum that IS used is run off a vacuum pump and not manifold vacuum. I also would check your connections to the cam position sensors and the VANOS solenoids. Other people with this code seem to have had success pulling out the VANOS solenoids and cleaning them. You could pop them out (pretty simple) and spray them off with brake cleaner and put back. Some people get a 9V battery and tap the two pins on the connector to make sure they can hear the solenoids opening and closing. Have you double-checked your spark plugs are installed tightly and the coil packs are connected correctly? The ground wires for the coil packs? Is the P054B the only code that came back?

Last edited by kd7iwp; 04-06-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:19 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535ix - Space Gray Metallic
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by kd7iwp
The 4x4 malfunction light should usually come on any time that you disconnect the battery (which I'm hoping you did since you had the fuel lines disconnected) since the steering angle sensor has lost track of where the wheel is. Turning the steering wheel from lock to lock should take that away. A lot of the suggestions about brake cleaner shouldn't be all that relevant since this is a forced induction N54 and there is very little vacuum has to do with anything, and the vacuum that IS used is run off a vacuum pump and not manifold vacuum. I also would check your connections to the cam position sensors and the VANOS solenoids. Other people with this code seem to have had success pulling out the VANOS solenoids and cleaning them. You could pop them out (pretty simple) and spray them off with brake cleaner and put back. Some people get a 9V battery and tap the two pins on the connector to make sure they can hear the solenoids opening and closing. Have you double-checked your spark plugs are installed tightly and the coil packs are connected correctly? The ground wires for the coil packs? Is the P054B the only code that came back?
I did disconnect the battery, and the code has since cleared. I'm going to do some more research on the cam position sensors, I have also seen in other threads that it could be throwing this code. Also, I'm a little early for an oil change but I'm going to do one anyway.
Tomorrow I'm going to take out the VANOS solenoids and clean them and if necessary, replace them.
I can see why this code could be getting thrown from the VANOS, but I don't see why it would just now be happening as I finished the VC. The car would occasionally throw itself into limp mode once or twice a week for a few months, but it wasn't constantly in limp mode as it is now.
Spark plugs, coils, and grounds are secured correctly.
I appreciate the help!
Old 04-06-2020, 09:51 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 550i sport package
Model Year: 2006

Just a thought. Check to make sure you plugged everything back in the right places. These codes together sounds like something got plugged in to the wrong connector.
Just a thought. Doesn’t hurt to check.
Hope everything works out
Old 04-07-2020, 06:12 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Chris Mac
Just a thought. Check to make sure you plugged everything back in the right places. These codes together sounds like something got plugged in to the wrong connector.
Just a thought. Doesn’t hurt to check.
Hope everything works out
I've double-checked everything, but I might as well triple check!
Thanks!
Old 04-07-2020, 06:12 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by zoom750
Did you remember to plug the two solenoids back in? The ones above the exhaust manifold heat shield, near the expansion tank? I missed those when
I replaced the gasket, and the engine ran rough.
Yes those two are all set.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:50 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by kd7iwp
So I took out the VANOS today and cleaned them up a bit, and put them back in. I also tested them to make sure they're still functioning properly, which they luckily are.
Same code as before. Decided I would take it to my local shop and have it inspected. I can't play the guessing game with this one!
Would like to at least get a list of things that are wrong, where I can decide which ones are possible for me to DIY.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

for DIY videos on replacing my E61valve cover gasket, and also O2 sensors, I'm only finding a few for the N52, not the N54. Anyone have a good link?
Old 05-26-2022, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

Do you know of a coupel good videos on this? I am mechanically competent but the bmw engine area is new to me. I've had my 2008 e61 mt6 since 2010 and so I suppose it's had a good run before needing the valve cover gasket and oil pan work. I'm going to let the shop do the oil pan though.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:49 AM
New Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: 535i X-Drive

This is on an e90, but is fundamentally the same for an e61.

The following users liked this post:
norsecarnut (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by zoom750
This is on an e90, but is fundamentally the same for an e61.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJGvN9HNJuw
thank you!

Quick Reply: Valve cover replacement issue *HELP*