E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Valet parking with Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my 545ia with active steering (part of sports package in US)arrives next week, I am concerned when valet parking in a restaurant, or when turning the car over to a parking attendent in a public garage. What's to prevent them from some how damaging the car due to the fast steering ratio that they are not used to, or aware of with the active steering.
I often park in public garages in New York City and most of these guys are not exactly easy on the gas when parking, and when they see a 545i they will probaly want to see what it can do from 0 to 60 mph right within the garage.
Seriously, what are you current owners doing when parking to prevent an incident with active steering?

Do you ask them if you can park it, and get it yourself?
Do you leave a note on the steering wheel?
Do you just verbaly tell them about active steering when you leave it and retrieve it?
Or do you just CROSS YOUR FINGERS?

OPEN FOR ANY, AND ALL IDEAS.

Netjazz
Old 06-29-2004, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

I'd be more worried about valet parking with SMG than with Active steering... Just tell the person...
Old 06-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Members

Natjazz,

I tend to try and avoid valets and the like, and cringe at the thought of bringing my shiny new 545i into Manhattan... let alone parking it in one of the overstuffed, cramped parking garages. In that area I think Active Steering would be the least of your problems.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by NickP' date='Jun 29 2004, 09:02 PM
I'd be more worried about valet parking with SMG than with Active steering... Just tell the person...
Although netjazz brings up a good point, the first thing I thought of before reading the replies to this thread was exactly what NickP said.

As a matter of fact, I chickened out of a valet park just the other day. I was running very late to an event yet still parked myself (making me run even later) rather than have to explain the car to some clueless valet (which may have made me later than I ended up being -- I guess I'll never know!)

I think Active Steering is probably not going to hurt as much during a valet park. It's taking 90 degree turns at 25mph or so that would make me worry. (Okay, insert your Ferris Bueller valet jokes here...)
Old 06-29-2004, 05:59 PM
Senior Members

Come to San Francisco folks... If you don't live here (I live 10 miles south), you can't go ANYWHERE without valet parking. Leaving the car on the street is not an option. A smashed in window once will tell you that...
Old 06-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I realize that in some cities it's harder to avoid valet. (When I said "self-park" in my earlier post, I wasn't talkin about parking on a street, I was talking about in a parking garage (on an end space, of course ).

I think the bottom line is that Active Steering is probably not much of a reason to worry about valet.

As far as parking an SMG car with a valet, I'm hoping that with each passing day, somewhere, someone else is giving their SMG car to a valet. As soon as all the valets park other SMG cars, then I'll feel more comfy!
Old 06-29-2004, 07:53 PM
Members

netjazz

i feel you on this. letting the "uninitiated" drive your active steering E60 is frought with risk! i watched a brake mechanic try to line my car up with a lift, and it took him about 4 tries (actually quite amusing.) As far as allowing a Manhattan "valet" to attempt to shoehorn into a space, not for the squeamish.

Not sure where in Manhattan you go, but the best self park garage is on 42nd and 9th Avenue. Completely self-park, wide spaces, heated, and reasonable (for NYC anyway.) Right next to the 1 and 9, or the Shuttle to the East Side. My apartment is on 81st and 3rd Ave, and i still park there and take the subway to and from the car. There are also a couple spots in Brooklyn I put it in because i know the guys. There are also some in Battery Park City, and plenty above 96th Street. As far as simply giving the keys to one of the unknowns and say "here, park it," you are going to be very disappointed.

I recently had my car shipped out to Manhattan for the summer, and with the 19s and sport package it is like manuevering a mine field; not much fun, but use is pretty much relegated to the weekends anyway. Not that it makes any difference to any of us here, but the garage across the street from me has at least 2 Aston Martin Vanquishes, Modenas, 911s and Cayennes like they're rentals, CL55s and 6s, and on and on - so why should I worry, right??
Old 06-29-2004, 08:04 PM
JDN
Contributors

If valets can park a Z car, active steering will be old hat.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:15 PM

JDN; Sorry... What Z are you referring to?
Old 06-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Senior Members

arghhh!!! 3rd time this week... last post was me.

Quick Reply: Valet parking with Active Steering